PDA

View Full Version : trimmer rack help

wrightlawn
02-07-2005, 03:57 PM
i have a trimmer rack that has the type of holders that look like a squared off 'c'. the problem is the holder is
2 1/2" deep by 2" wide when the pin is in place vertically. this causes the trimmers to bounce around and slide. does anyone know of some type of produce to stop this. i have thought about some thick pieces of rubbe on top and bottom. any ideas without buying a new rack?

procut
02-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I used to have a rack that sounds just like that. What I ended up doing was making blocks of wood the were the same size as the "c" holder, but had the corner notched for the shaft of the trimmer. I then drilled a hole threw the block so I could put the pin threw. I enven painted them black to match the rack.

Carolina Cutter
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
i have a trimmer rack that has the type of holders that look like a squared off 'c'. the problem is the holder is
2 1/2" deep by 2" wide when the pin is in place vertically. this causes the trimmers to bounce around and slide. does anyone know of some type of produce to stop this. i have thought about some thick pieces of rubbe on top and bottom. any ideas without buying a new rack?

Bungee cords work. Just Bungee each trimmer to the rack or the one below it. I personally hate bungee cords BUT I hate seeing my trimmers bounce around more. I have been doing this for 3 years now and no problems.

marko
02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
I have seen them use the hollow core rubber tubes before. I just got a trimmer rack for this year (have not seen it yet), but plan to either put rubber on the clamps, or on the trimmer shaft itself where it will just go in w/ a push.

wrightlawn
02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
i had also thought of the wood blocks. might try that but im still looking for other ideas too.

MB550
02-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I Have The Same Rack, With The Same Problem. Fixed It With A Couple Of Hockey Pucks Squared Off With A Saw And Held In Place With Self Taping Screws

Bull
02-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Wrightlawn, I have a rack that may be the same or similar to yours. It has the yellow plastic coating on it. My trimmers did the same thing until I figured out a way to keep them from moving. After placing the trimmer in the rack up at the throttle area my trimmers have a rubber type sponge piece around the shaft. I place this part in the rack. Then as I start the pin down through the top hole it fits in the middle notch but as you start the pin through the bottom hole it goes into the back hole. Thus the retainer pin is now locking the trimmer in at an angle. At the head end the pin goes through both back holes. This has worked well for me and has stopped mine from moving. Hope this helps.

Mark McC
02-07-2005, 11:03 PM

What brand? I'd like to avoid it if I can.

gogetter
02-07-2005, 11:25 PM
What brand? I'd like to avoid it if I can.

Greentouch and all the imitations.

Jason Rose
02-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Buy a trimmertrap rack and you will never be sorry!!! Iv'e had the lesco/greentouch junk, yeah it was heavy duty, but only attaches to the top rail of the trailer so it flexes like crazy on a rough road and they don't actually hold the trimmer tight unless you jerry rig some piece of foam or bracket or tie down to keep your trimmers from being shaken to pieces. trimmers are not cheap, and if u carry 2 and a stick edger you have 1,000 bucks on the side of your tralier flopping all oner the place. spend the little bit extra and buy a real rack! Trimmer Trap!

P.S. No, I am not a sponser of them nor am I a salesman, just a happy customer!

wrightlawn
02-08-2005, 12:28 AM
im not sure of the brand but it was purchased at lowe's i think.

brinlee lawn
02-08-2005, 07:01 AM
:) When I started out I had that same rack from lowes, it sucked. Now it is trimmer trapp all the way.

Mark McC
02-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Buy a trimmertrap rack and you will never be sorry!!! Iv'e had the lesco/greentouch junk, yeah it was heavy duty, but only attaches to the top rail of the trailer so it flexes like crazy on a rough road and they don't actually hold the trimmer tight unless you jerry rig some piece of foam or bracket or tie down to keep your trimmers from being shaken to pieces. trimmers are not cheap, and if u carry 2 and a stick edger you have 1,000 bucks on the side of your tralier flopping all oner the place. spend the little bit extra and buy a real rack! Trimmer Trap!

P.S. No, I am not a sponser of them nor am I a salesman, just a happy customer!

I love the disclaimer. We'll take your word for it!

DFW Area Landscaper
02-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Jason Rose,

Do you have the TT1 or the TT2? I just ordered a pair of TT1's.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Jason Rose
02-08-2005, 12:50 PM
I had the TT1, that's the 2 place rack correct? I liked it But when I got a bigger trailer I wanted another place to store a trimmer so I bought the TT2. I like the design of the TT2 better I suppose, tho both are nice. I like the fact that you can't put a trimmer in the rack and forget to lock it. Funny thing is, now that I have the tt2 rack I only carry 2 trimmers, I leave the stick edger in the shop...

green814
02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I have the same rack from Lowes. I plan on getting a better rack, but what I did in the meantime was drill new holes so the trimmers would not move much at all. The motor end I place the rubbed part of the handle in, the trimmer head end I have the rack almost all the way down to the end. I also put a large rubber air hose on this end of the trimmer to help protect the shaft from metal to metal. I should have spent the money the first time around. Live and learn I guess.
Chris

AboveTheCut
02-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Throw yours away and get a trimmer trap. The best money I have ever spent.

Precision
02-08-2005, 11:31 PM
get some copper pipe insulation, that back stuff with a slit down the length and cut that to fit and duct tape it down. will last 4-6 months then do it again.