PDA

View Full Version : weekly vs. occasional comm. pricing

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Normally I never ask pricing questions, however I would like an opinion on this. I called back a guy I had done an estimate for the other day, who owns an apartment complex. I told him the price, he says 'sounds good', large area I'm slightly cheaper and may be doing his other comm. stuff. Anyway he asks about frequency, I say once weekly unless it gets dry in July-August then I'll mow accordingly. He says 'Well I may mow it occasionally to help cut costs down, so can I just call if I am going to be mowing that week'. Obviously this is a pain in the hiney for scheduling purposes, but I have ALOT of business in that area and could handle the extra workload. My weekly mow,edge,trim and blow quote was $180.00 for the place, approx. 3-3.5 hours of work. What kind of price do you think I should offer for the 'occasional' option?

marko
02-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a PITA to me. I dont think I would get involved, but if you can work it in and it does not bother you, then go ahead. Sounds like he might want to mow in the summer, when its not growing, or he might mow half of it (what he perceives as half) and want you to come finish up. I would be careful.

LB1234
02-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Been there...done that...

Part of this deal was to service his account every other week. He said he would maintain it on my "off" weeks. I agreed...stupid, stupid, stupid...

He would often be "busy" or it "rained" so he couldn't get to it. So much for our gentlemen's agreement. We wound up mowing it twice and bagging the darn thing. Charged him for it...rightly so IMO cause he was not holding up his end of the deal. He paid me but we've parted our ways. Hopefully it will work out for you but be carefull. Good luck.

procut
02-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Like Marco said, this guy sounds like a potential PITA, and you may just want to pass this one up. But, if you don;t mind with putting up with his BS mow it myslef stuff go ahread and take it on. My advice would be not to offer any discount. The price is $180.00 per visit regardless. But be aware, when he mows him self, he is likely to do only that, probably not trim or edge.

jpp
02-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I would say pass it up. Sounds like he wants to be the one telling you when it should be cut. Sorry sounds like a pita and would only use and abuse you and you equipment. Just my .02

JP

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the opinions, basically that's what the little voice in the back of my head was saying. I'm thinking I'll tell him $180 for weekly mowing, $240 otherwise.

Carolina Cutter
02-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I say tell him....."This is the way it is going to be if you want me to do it". To much of a PITA if he "occasionally" does it. Sounds like he is proce shopping and figures if he cuts your pay here and there you won't mind....I would!

Either lay down the law or walk on bro....

Randy Scott
02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Doesn't work, plain and simple! You know, and I know, it will turn into a headache. It's just a matter of when.

tinman
02-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the opinions, basically that's what the little voice in the back of my head was saying. I'm thinking I'll tell him $180 for weekly mowing, $240 otherwise.

Good idea. Best to walk away from PITAS, or if you can stomache them just up the cost.

Petr51488
02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
What i was starting to think is.. if he does half and you do half.. someones gonna notice that you do work at this apartment.. Their gonna think you do shitty work. (im not saying that you do, but that's what they'll think). I woulnd't want someone doing half of the work for me, then me cleaning it up. I don't know if it makes sence about you looking like you do a bad job. If anything, if it were me, ide tell him that i would mow when the grass is growing the most (lets say april-june) then he can take over from july on..

captaingreen
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Alot of good points here. This is when Lawnsite truely serves it purpose, people voice opinions without the bickering and it produces positive results. I'm going to tell the fella it's all or nothing. The last comment got me to thinking as far as the quality issue, not to mention the obvious PITA factor. Thanks again!! :waving:

LB1234
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
What i was starting to think is.. if he does half and you do half.. someones gonna notice that you do work at this apartment.. Their gonna think you do shitty work. (im not saying that you do, but that's what they'll think). I woulnd't want someone doing half of the work for me, then me cleaning it up. I don't know if it makes sence about you looking like you do a bad job. If anything, if it were me, ide tell him that i would mow when the grass is growing the most (lets say april-june) then he can take over from july on..

you got my vote for that one. good point!!

tinman
02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Alot of good points here. This is when Lawnsite truely serves it purpose, people voice opinions without the bickering and it produces positive results. :waving:

Amen Brother :)

hole in one lco
02-07-2005, 11:54 PM
So he is going to let you cut when its a jungle then when the easy cuts come you can go . :angry: :angry:

GetSomeGOJO
02-08-2005, 01:51 AM
If your product is something you're willing to put your name on, don't let anyone else do it instead. I've run into several customers who wanted to do the trimming themselves, ect. and my company has told them "We're sorry, we can't work with that sort of arrangement." The fact is, you are a professional, he is not. We have a reputation to build, based on the quality of our services. If you can't guarantee a professional looking lawn during the whole growing season, you shouldn't do business there.

stumper1620
02-08-2005, 06:03 AM
I agree with the quality issue also.
I have a place that burns up in the dry season. last year i let them off with mowing only when needed, had a hard time getting payment from them, even had to stop mowing for 2 weeks. this year i'm going full season need it or not weekly mowing, that is what i would do with this guy also, you stand to lose alot of income with his method. since he proposed him doing part of it part of the time you know he will be a pita, so tell him 180 weekly every week all season, (however many wks)with no exceptions. take it or leave it.