PDA

View Full Version : it's decision time

grass disaster
02-07-2005, 05:34 PM
got all my prices today

i can get a 04 exmark for $5100
i can get a 05 hustler for $5200

both machines are 48" 17 horse kawi's hydros with electric start.

what can you guys tell me about these two machines. both dealers seem to be very good as far as customer service goes. and they are both about 15 min from my home.

is the hustler heavier than an exmark? i don't want to be sinking in. which is kinda the reason i'm buying a walk behind.

he told me the hustler weighs 675. i'm not exactly sure what the exmark weighs.

imograss
02-07-2005, 06:14 PM
The Hustler will hold hills much better than the Exmark. What type Hustler ? Fastrack, Super , Super mini?

grass disaster
02-07-2005, 06:32 PM
it's called the "hustler walkbehind"

PMLAWN
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Exmark book says 610# on the 48 and 644# on the 52"

imograss Why is the hustler better on hills?

lawncare4u
02-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Exmark book says 610# on the 48 and 644# on the 52"

imograss Why is the hustler better on hills?

Cause it's a HUSTLER :p

cat1
02-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Exmark Turf tracer awsome mower with the ECS controls. Cuts great. Do you still have your trailer 4 sale ??? I tried to pm you.

imograss
02-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I thought the question was for a ZTR, and didn't know it was a walk behind. I haven't used the Hustler walk behinds, although I do see a Super Walkbehind on my trailer in the future,

FrankenScagMachines
02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Exmark. Why? Because it has superior cut to anything else on the market that I have personally seen and used. I have a TTHP 52" and would put the quality of cut up against anything. They stripe great too! I also am the type that likes to be able to control both drive wheels individually by myself.

Hustler- don't know a whole lot about them. I know their deck design is of the type that would not generally chop up clippings as fine as an Exmark. I do not know a whole lot about their cut and discharge traits. I do like the H bar steering for wide open spaces, but I find it difficult to use in tight areas where I am accustomed to controlling each wheel individually in order to maximize my maneuverability. I am sure this is a matter of getting used to it, but I have tried a few times on the Hustler and other similar "one peice control system" machines, just not my style for tight quarters navigation, but I do like them for wide open areas (but there I would just use my rider). H bar means you cannot pop a wheelie without jerking the bar to make the hydros pop the wheelie. Often times this is very inconvenient or not helpful at all to the situation.

The choice is yours. I know there are many loyal, repeat Hustler customers, but there are many more loyal, repeat Exmark customers. Personally I have not seen anything that has beaten Exmark's reputation and quality of cut. My Ferris rider I do like a lot and I think it rides better than other 52" zero turns on the market. It does cut really nice, but in some certain conditions, the Exmark does a little better. Both my Ferris and Exmark stripe very nicely, don't know about Hustler's striping ability or if that even matters to you.

Don't be yeller... Nobody Does It Better!

grass disaster
02-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Exmark. Why? Because it has superior cut to anything else on the market that I have personally seen and used. I have a TTHP 52" and would put the quality of cut up against anything. They stripe great too! I also am the type that likes to be able to control both drive wheels individually by myself.

Hustler- don't know a whole lot about them. I know their deck design is of the type that would not generally chop up clippings as fine as an Exmark. I do not know a whole lot about their cut and discharge traits. I do like the H bar steering for wide open spaces, but I find it difficult to use in tight areas where I am accustomed to controlling each wheel individually in order to maximize my maneuverability. I am sure this is a matter of getting used to it, but I have tried a few times on the Hustler and other similar "one peice control system" machines, just not my style for tight quarters navigation, but I do like them for wide open areas (but there I would just use my rider). H bar means you cannot pop a wheelie without jerking the bar to make the hydros pop the wheelie. Often times this is very inconvenient or not helpful at all to the situation.

The choice is yours. I know there are many loyal, repeat Hustler customers, but there are many more loyal, repeat Exmark customers. Personally I have not seen anything that has beaten Exmark's reputation and quality of cut. My Ferris rider I do like a lot and I think it rides better than other 52" zero turns on the market. It does cut really nice, but in some certain conditions, the Exmark does a little better. Both my Ferris and Exmark stripe very nicely, don't know about Hustler's striping ability or if that even matters to you.

Don't be yeller... Nobody Does It Better!

great to hear from one of the exmark guys. not exactly sure about what you mean by the weelie thing. you mean that the hydro is not as fast(responsive) on the hustler.
or is it just because it's a little heavier.

AMAC
02-07-2005, 10:03 PM
I have used both machines but I own 2 Exmark walk behinds, because on hills the Exmark walk behinds are superior. Here is why- the Hustler controls are like a motor cycle, twist the handle and off you go, well, lets say you hit a bump on a very steep incline, you know, the one that makes your but pucker. What will your hand do? Thats right, twist the hand grip and speed up, and down you go! That is the only flaw I see in the Hustler walk behinds. The Exmark walk behinds that I prefer are- the Metro Hp's. Here is why- If I shift the tranny into first gear it is very slow and all I have to do is hold on and steer and if I hit a bump the machine stays at a slow steady speed and all I have to do is steer it, with this machine I can use one hand on a steep slope if I have to. With all that said, I also own 2 Hustler Super Z riders because I believe them to be a superior riding machines. I like both Hustler and Exmark in different areas. To each his own.

Roger
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
AMAC,

Your experiences may help answer a question I've posed before about Hustler. The T-bar looks good on the showroom floor, but as I understand there is no "cruise control." I have an Exmark hydro w/b and the maximum speed is set by the control lever. I see no such feature with the H-bar steering -- the operator must always hold the handles at the proper rotation to keep constant speed.

Many of my properties are rough, making it hard to hold to the handle. I just cannot see holding the T-bar at the same rotation over bumpy terrain to maintain constant forward ground speed.

Is this what you are saying in your post -- hard to keep constant speed when you cannot keep very good control of the handle?

The question makes me shy away from even considering Hustler, as much as I like what else I see.

FrankenScagMachines
02-08-2005, 09:22 AM
What I mean is this- with almost every other mower, you have a stationary handlebar peice to hold onto to that you can grab and use to pull back on the mower handle, thereby popping a wheelie without altering speed. With a Hustler H-bar, the only way to pop a wheelie, is to slow down very slow, then jerk the controls to swiftly speed up the machine, this makes it pop a wheelie, but you have to alter your speed alot in two different directions (slow then rapidly accelerate) and I feel this is not as controlled as a manual wheelie. Also what will you do if you are on delicate turf? That would rip the turf right out of the ground (and cause a lot of damage on wet ground). I find it necessary to pop a wheelie going up into the trailer too as I top the gate, do not want to increase speed there either, and i find it harder to land coming off the wheelie if you do not have a stationary handle to use to stabilize the machine.... just my honest opinions. Try it yourself if you like, and you'll see what I mean. You can't wheelie it without jerking the controls to speed it up. Also, sometimes on a tricky hill or ditch or when turning around with the ProSlide on wet grass, I have need to pop a small wheelie to transfer weight to the rear tires for better traction. Can't do that with a Hustler...

grass disaster
02-08-2005, 03:33 PM
What I mean is this- with almost every other mower, you have a stationary handlebar peice to hold onto to that you can grab and use to pull back on the mower handle, thereby popping a wheelie without altering speed. With a Hustler H-bar, the only way to pop a wheelie, is to slow down very slow, then jerk the controls to swiftly speed up the machine, this makes it pop a wheelie, but you have to alter your speed alot in two different directions (slow then rapidly accelerate) and I feel this is not as controlled as a manual wheelie. Also what will you do if you are on delicate turf? That would rip the turf right out of the ground (and cause a lot of damage on wet ground). I find it necessary to pop a wheelie going up into the trailer too as I top the gate, do not want to increase speed there either, and i find it harder to land coming off the wheelie if you do not have a stationary handle to use to stabilize the machine.... just my honest opinions. Try it yourself if you like, and you'll see what I mean. You can't wheelie it without jerking the controls to speed it up. Also, sometimes on a tricky hill or ditch or when turning around with the ProSlide on wet grass, I have need to pop a small wheelie to transfer weight to the rear tires for better traction. Can't do that with a Hustler...

very interesting i never thought of that