PDA

View Full Version : truck

brinlee lawn
02-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Ok you are a one man band, you have a 16 ft open trailer that you haul your equip. on. Equipment consists of 1 60 in. dixie. 1 toro 36 in. w.b. 1 toro 21 in. and of course all the handheld equipment. Your accounts are kinda spread out all within about 30 miles in either direction, you are going to use this truck for business and personal.

Lux Lawn
02-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I would have a nice 3/4 ton ext.cab if it were me but remember your going to be mad when it gets scratched and it will happen even if your careful.

steinerguy
02-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I do simular as you and do fine with a F150 4x4 ext.cab with just a 4.6l. Works well for fun and work.

Edgewater
02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
If you dončt need to haul much in the bed other than lawn debris, a 1500é150 will be fine. If you are going to do any earth or gravel hauling, a 3/4 ton us great.

Either way, I like to have electric brakes on the trailer.

As was mentioned above, it will get scratched and dirty, so maybe laying out 40K + on a new one is not the best idea.

brinlee lawn
02-07-2005, 07:47 PM
I do have brakes on the trailer. It is not going to be brand new probably a 98-01. Any opinons on gas or diesel???

MP350
02-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I would go with a 3/4 ton truck, 4 door, diesel model. You get better brakes, tires that can carry more weight, and the diesel will get better mileage than a gas pulling the same load with plenty of power. Last year I switched from gas to diesel and get about 4 more miles to the gallon with a lot more pulling power.

Travis Followell
02-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel 4 door long bed. With a 4 door long bed you have the best of both worlds.

grass disaster
02-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I'd get a 3/4 ton diesel 4 door long bed. With a 4 door long bed you have the best of both worlds.

he wants a truck not a semi

just get a 3/4 ton extended cab who cares about the people sitting in the back.

all ferris
02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Just remember to always leave room to grow. Lets say that you can get by with a 1/2 ton truck now but you have to always think that you might get a bigger trailer down the road due to growth.

brinlee lawn
02-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Everybody is making good points I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 extended cab.

LawnsByJon
02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I have to say go with a dump truck. It has a bit more versatility, and gives you room to expand in case you want to go into serious landscaping..

eng50
02-07-2005, 09:36 PM
likewise! 4x4 diesel, extended or 4dr, with spray in bed liner for abuse. The diesel will hold its value, the 4dr will hold the family if needed, and you have more power than you will need everyday. Sometime you might need to rent a piece of equipment, Bobcat, etc and will have to borrow a truck to pull it if you go less than 3/4 ton! I wish I could still say that you would save money on fuel, but that has gone by the wayside! Oh and the diesel will outlast the gasser by about 200k miles! go for it..

Bill

dwc
02-07-2005, 09:48 PM
I used to have a F-250 Crewcab Lariat, FX4, for work and personal. I got tired of banging it up and getting it scratched, plus every time I wanted to go somewhere for personal and haul people, it was trashed inside from grass clippings, etc.

I traded it off and bought a '95 work truck and a personal truck. Its nice to have 2 so if 1 breaks, I have another and my personal truck stays much cleaner. Plus, the '95 was cheap enough that if it gets scratched or whatever, I am not going to get upset about it.

If you want just 1 truck, I would say 3/4 ton minimum all the way. A 1/2 ton will not hold up to daily trailer pulling nearly as well as a 3/4.

brucec32
02-07-2005, 09:50 PM
You can get a V8 auto extended cab full size pickup starting around $25,000. Add 4x4, 3/4-1 ton capacity, options, and diesel power and you can easily have yourself a $40,000 pickup.

For personal use I find diesels annoying and less than stellar performers. HD trucks have a harsher ride and more noise typically than light duty versions. There are also less attractive wheel options (or more expensive) on heavier duty models.

Various helper spring setups and progressive add-a-leafs are available that you can bolt on a light duty truck to make it safe and stable at its rated capacity. So if you don't plan on using a heavier truck's capacity, I wouldn't get it. Your trailer setup sounds like it weighs about 2600 lbs, which even a compact pickup can haul around. Exceeding a 8,000 lb tow capacity on a Titan or F150 type light duty sounds a long way off.

Hauling materials is the number one reason why a heavier duty truck is needed. If you're not hauling rock or timbers you may not need that.

Gas Heavy Duty trucks will use more gas. Diesels will be better than any gas pickups, but they are pricey to buy.

Diesel fetishists will argue otherwise I'm sure, but in many areas there are not a lot of diesel pumps at every gas station. You may find yourself circling station lots repeatedly trying to line up your long rig at one of the few open diesel pumps. The more crowded an urban the area, the worse a problem it is. I have had problems in the past with diesel fleet vehicles getting them fueled in some suburban areas.

green acres lawns
02-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I have two. One is '89 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 350 gas with 250,000 miles on it. Pulls 16 ft trailer with 4 ft sides. Still works great. Also have 2002 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 heavy duty with 6 liter gas that pulls 20ft gooseneck and three ztr's or compact tractor with bushhog. It needs more power.

lwcmattlifter
02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
I would get a Crew Cab diesel. I have the extended cab and it sucks to put stuff back there. Its so much easier to open another door. Plus is 13 inches of length really that much more compared to an extended cab? If you want a really big truck fork over the $95,000+ and get an International CXT (http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/severe/cxt.asp) . You get 4-wheel drive, and and a 8 foot bed attached to a medium-duty truck. Now that would get some looks. HEHE

brinlee lawn
02-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Flatbed or standard pickup bed?????

grass-scapes
02-08-2005, 08:27 PM
I bought a 3/4 ton Ford f-250 extended cab diesel 4wd. I needed 4wd cause I kept getting stuck at the landfill after a rain. I have the long bed. I just ordered a dump insert from Bri-Mar. Now I can haul more than I could with a standard bed, but not as much as a dump truck, but my insurance is much less. plus I can still put my 200 gal skid sprayer in the bed.

I would not go less than a 3/4 ton and get a 1 ton if you can afford it.

Aaron Marshall
02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
For personal use I find diesels annoying and less than stellar performers.

I don't know about that... my 04 Ford has plenty of get up and go... 325hp and 550 ftlbs of torque??? An arcticle I read, it has a faster 0-60 time than the V-10 ford. Don't jump down my throat about that, but I deffinetly don't need to go any faster than what my diesel does.
My .02
Aaron

newbomb
02-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I do have brakes on the trailer. It is not going to be brand new probably a 98-01. Any opinons on gas or diesel???

First your trailer is not especially heavy and it has brakes. Unless your planning to do landscaping and haul heavy stuff 1/2 ton is enough. I think you will find many more options for buying a used 1/2 ton than a heavier truck.

Second really depends on how you will use it for personal use. I would want at least auto air and a good radio. Easy to find in either light or heavy truck. Also what percentage of time is work and what percentage is play. If you primarily work the truck get a heavier one. The wear items like brakes and clutches last longer. If you work it part time don't get saddled with a work horse.

Lastly you absolutely dont need a diesel. A gas motor will do fine and last a long time with the light trailer. Diesels need to be plugged in in cold weather. I did my oil change 2 weeks ago $30 for oil (15 qt) $10 oil filter and $35 for fuel filter. $75 to do the oil change yourself.

Buy a gas motor 1/2 ton ford or chevy with a nice interior and use it for all it's worth. If you wear it out then decide if you need to upgrade.

-Paul

ed2hess
02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I agree with newbomb there is little need for anything beyond gas 1/2 ton vehicle for a startup business. The 4x4 are so high that it is difficult to get items out of the tool chest and bed from the ground. And get a long bed with a 350 cu.in., you mileage would be good. Get the towing package and upgrade spring on the rear. Keep the truck cost and equipment cost DOWN until the money is rolling in!

niederhauser lawn care
02-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Go with a good 3/4 ton

lawncare3
02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
he wants a truck not a semi

just get a 3/4 ton extended cab who cares about the people sitting in the back.

I have a std cab with long bed. It is a semi. I can turn around mile higfh stadium but that's it. Go dodge. :waving: :waving: :) :cool:

Lawn-Scapes
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Nothing less than a 3/4 ton.. IMO

Kelly's Landscaping
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I have 2 1500-dodge rams a 98 and a 99 I love them both they will pull what ever I throw at them with the 318 they have. The gas mileage is great yet would I buy another dodge yes would I buy another 1500 No freaking way. They pull the loads great but they do not have large enough breaks and both my trailers have trailer breaks makes no difference I am still going through a set of new breaks a year on each of them. Also they cannot handle the grass loads they come home sagging a full foot lower then when they left. The quad cab is such a god sent I would never buy anything but in the future so it makes them awesome personal vehicles. I think if I have to choose a new truck they will all be 3500s in the future and the main reason I can get the GVW on them over 10000 and in my state that makes you exempt from emissions. Diesels are no longer exempt unless over 10000 pounds.

Classic Lawn
02-13-2005, 10:55 PM
I have 1500 chevy 5.3 i am towing a 16' tandam trailer brakes i works wonderfull
i am lookig to sell

Sunset Lawn Care
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I bought a 4x4 F-250 XL longbed fleet vehicle that had a bunch of highway miles but otherwise in good shape. You really cant beat a 3/4 ton, but there have been times when I have wanted something smaller. F-250's and Fords in general have a horible turning radius. It's something most people dont think about but it makes a difference in tight spaces.