PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation software

Rainmaker
02-07-2005, 07:42 PM
do any of the Irrigation contractors use a specific irrigation software for service sheduelling that works good for turn ons winterizing reaccuring rpz test and so one must be able to handle service and install and a customer base of 2600+

HBFOXJr
02-10-2005, 10:12 AM
I use Qxpress from Alocet. Lots of custom fields and flexibilty. I also use palm devices in the field where the guys log their times in and out plus materials when doing service. At the end of the day, the palms upload info to the office pc, and print the invoices. This way your techs get paid to "do billing" as opposed to you paying office staff to do billing. End result you gain in the field and save in the office. What's not to like about that?

DanaMac
02-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Very ironic. I downloaded the trial version of qxpress yesterday. I know I talked with HBFoxjr in the past year or two about it. And I think I'm ready to buy it. But I am going to download a trial from one other today to check it out.

I saw their mapping add on and was interested until I saw the $590 price tag. This would map out your days route for service calls. Any other dissatisfaction with it? One other program I looked at last year would not give me both techs' schedules on the same page/screen so you could compare who is where and what they are doing. So far this looks like what I need.

HBFOXJr
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
You can display more than one crew/tech per screen and for weeks at a time if you wish. That requires scrolling across to view. As you scroll the date continuously changes in a little display on the bottom of the screen letting you know where you are.

Mapping - All this stuff for hundreds of $$$'s sounds expensive to so many. With only 2 guys on the street and the actual cost per hour for a tech for being in the 30's or 40's of dollars per man hour it doesn't take too many windshield hours saved to pay for itself. Yes you must look at the map and directions, but no more hunting thru a mapbook and plotting your own course. It saves time and $$$s. Minutes per day per man x 5 days x how many weeks per year adds up quickly. Another may be increased revenue because of better drive efficiency allowing an extra stop here and there.

I let the program map for efficiency for my fert apps. For irrigation I just map the route in the order the jobs need to be done as they are done by appt. My guys like and appreciate very much and say it is accurate most of the time.

DanaMac
02-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Since we don't have a shop that my tech and I meet at, I don't always see him. It might be 2,3,4 days sometimes before I see him and get checks and work orders. So I wouldn't always be able to give him the printed maps. My existing customers I usually can drive to without having to look at a map. I've been here since I was 10 and am now 34 so I know the town pretty well. But I can always upgrade later on after I check out the software and see if I like it.