PDA

View Full Version : New JD backhoes!

Scag48
01-31-2001, 09:06 PM
John Deere has just released (I'm not exactly sure when) their new G series backhoes. They seem to look pretty nice but I haven't gotten much information on them yet. From 1 picture I saw of one, I think they kinda look like a Cat. I couldn't really tell because it was a small picture and it didn't have much detail. Watch out Cat, Deere's catchin' up!

cat320
01-31-2001, 09:11 PM
scagg the new cats have controls like that of an excavator in the backhoe postion of there new loaderbackhoes.Look real good have not seen the deeres but have seen pics of the new M series from Case.

Guido
01-31-2001, 09:13 PM
I don't think they're trying to............An article I once read talked just about this, how John Deere takes CAT in the farm and landscaping end of the market, but CAT will always dominate the heavy construction side of the house.

We use both and Case but I like CAT the best when I'm doing real equipment work. Its a tougher all around machine.

But....like you said about the backhoe, its a really nice setup. We have mostly cases but started buying some new JD's about 2 or 3 years ago. Nice wobble stick controls compared to the old cases we're using!!

Scag48
02-01-2001, 12:50 AM
Cat320-Someone finally figured out to put joysticks in a backhoe. That will make just about anyone more productive, unless you're really used to wobble sticks. If I had the choice of wobble stick or joystick, I'd pick the joystick. I'm used to running excavators so anything that will make a backhoe more like an excavator will help me.

Guido-I guess that Cat dominates the heavy construction part of business but John Deere doesn't have that bad of a backhoe. Who knows, maybe the new G-series will have something to offer. The E series was a huge step for JD backhoes when they came out. They were so much better than the D series and the C series. I'll guess we'll see if they can run with the big dogs. :)

diggerman
02-01-2001, 01:13 AM
I went to Intermat in Paris 6yrs ago and there was a co. called hydrema that make a awsome tractorhoe with joysticks. So every time they would call from the cat factory to ask about the tractorhoe i had and what could make them better i'd say look at hydrema and even went so far as to fax them a brocure.Take a look at http://www.hydrema.com

travis strecker
05-16-2004, 01:04 AM
i ran a 310sg jd last summer and it will whip any backhoe

Tevi
05-16-2004, 07:45 AM
JCB has used joysticks for awhile.With thiers they are seat mounted and you can spin the seat in any position and work the backhoe.Soon everyone will have 4 whl. steering like JCB

Tigerotor77W
05-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Everyone has preferences... me personally, I love Cat B/Ls, but who knows. I'm not sure that any one company is better in every area than every other company -- otherwise, that company would have a pretty damned big monopoly going.

Deere "catching up?" I think they've been chugging along just fine. Their dozers are kicking major ass and their new wheel loaders are pretty sharp. They have got some major afficionados going -- many of whom used to be Cat people. As far as I'm concerned, Deere's already on par with Cat quality. Just a matter of time if Cat doesn't seriously do something innovative.

Gravel Rat
05-16-2004, 09:39 PM
John Deere has come a long ways in the excavation market now that they teamed up with Hitachi. I'am starting to see Deere excavators (trackhoes-shovel hoes for the americans) used here by the excavation contractors. Hitachi dominates the market here in excavators same goes with Case rubber tired backhoes.

Mini excavators is where the money is any machine in the 10,000-18,000lb range does more excavating than a rubber tired backhoe can. The land is steep here a backhoe just can't work on the slopes also rubber tires do not do well when working on sharp jagged rock.

One of the local excavation contractors I work for time to time does alot of work with the EX-60 Hitachi.

The logging contractors are buying the John Deere 330LC excavators the one contractor is pleased with them so far.

As for controls I'am a joystick man I have troubles with wobble sticks I find my arms fatigue too fast with wobble sticks. I also have troubles feathering the hydraulics I guess a person gets used to it.

You can tell which operators that run backhoes all the time because the crotch of their jeans is worn out from having your legs spread apart :laugh:

Those old case machines with the muliple sticks and foot pedal swing your legs are spread apart were the worst for ripping the crotch out of your jeans.

travis strecker
05-19-2004, 01:39 PM
jhon deere is now making joy stick controls

Tigerotor77W
05-22-2004, 05:57 PM
So are CNH, Cat, and JCB. Komatsu either has them out or will.

coopers
05-22-2004, 11:11 PM
While we're on the topic of Deere, I absolutley love their excavators, the 120C's in particular. Here's one new one we got not too long ago for our rental fleet. I love this machine! We'll get more of them, we just got a 200LC and we'll get a 160LC soon! I also like their 450H dozers, which we have too.

Blake
WA

coopers
05-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I can't drive anything but cat controlled excavators and case backhoes with the tree or 4 levers plus the foot pedals. I feel very comfortable with those two types, I won't run a JD hoe at all. Just not used to it.

Blake
WA

coopers
05-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Here's a mini kubota we have.

Blake
WA

Scag48
05-24-2004, 02:36 AM
Coopers-How are those Kubota mini excavators? Our Kubota dealer has a rental or lease machine, can't remember that is coming in this fall with around 1K hours. It's the KX-91 I believe. Has a thumb, 2 buckets and quick coupler. They're asking about 21-22K for it. How do the Kubotas stack up to Cat and Deere? I love our Cat skid steer, it would take a heck of a machine to pull me away from Cat to look at something else, but I'm curious about those Kubotas. Also, we rented a Deere 27C ZTS about 3 weeks ago, superb machine. Wish we could justify such a machine!

Gravel Rat
05-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Kubota are great I know one contractor that has a 161 it does quite a bit of work for its size. The machine is small enough to get into places where other machines can not and has the power of a small rubber tired backhoe.

The same contractor tried the equal sized bobcat machine when he first added a mini to his fleet they didn't like the machine bought a 161. They used the machine for 4-5 years traded it in on a new 161 with zero tailswing and having the same sucess as they did with their first Kubota.

They run the wide steel tracks it doesn't scuff the ground too bad you can walk on pavement without chewing it up too bad. The contractors in this area don't use rubber tracks they are too slippery on slopes.

Edgewater
05-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I don't have much experience with this size of machine, but ran one of those 161's for about 20 hours last summer and was really impressed. I was repairing a road that had been washed out. The machine will place rocks as big as you can grasp and moved around in a swampy area without getting stuck.

I would love to own one.

coopers
05-25-2004, 12:54 AM
The kubotas are very awesome machines. I can't really compare them to Cat or Deere because I've never run any of their mini's. We've had zero problems with kubota, only problems surface after a customer has rented it. They're very durable machines, and the QC is sweet. All of our 121-3's are QC, have thumbs, and we're starting to get rid of the old crappy 121-2's. The only thing I really don't like is how narrow the thumb is, it has only two of the "teeth," and personally, I think it should have at least 3 to make it wider. But really, it's do-able and they just plain old work great. What's cool about the 161's, is that like our JD 120's, 200 etc. it has an automatic idle switch. After a couple seconds of not using the controls, it idles down....which I like. I personally don't like the looks of Cat, they just don't look like they were designed well...Deere looks like a nice unit, I wouldn't be surprised if we started to get some of those...they might be more expensive, I'm not sure really. The kubota parts take a while if they aren't in stock, got to ship them. We are slowly starting to switch from Bobcat to Ghel skidsteers cuz Ghel is cheaper. Not sure if I like that idea....ghel doesn't seem all that different from bobcat other than the fact that Ghel steering sticks are sooooooo sensitive. But maybe it's just the unit that's in our yard right now, who knows. If you'd like, I can always take more pics. of our machines, got cool stuff.

Blake
WA