PDA

View Full Version : organic lawn care business inquiry.................

organicgal
02-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Hello There,
:)
I hope y'all are well!!!!!!!!! I have a question and I would be sooo grateful for an answer! You see, I wish to start an organic lawn care service. I have no idea where to start, really, though. Any pointers or links y'all could recommend? I would realllyyy appreciate any help! Have an awesome day! Thank you so much in advance.

Many Blessings,
Natasha :)

northmichigan
02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Hello There,
:)
I hope y'all are well!!!!!!!!! I have a question and I would be sooo grateful for an answer! You see, I wish to start an organic lawn care service. I have no idea where to start, really, though. Any pointers or links y'all could recommend? I would realllyyy appreciate any help! Have an awesome day! Thank you so much in advance.

Many Blessings,
Natasha :)
even if your chemicals are organic you must be a licienced applicator to work for clients. you will need liability insurance and a dba.
it might be easiere to work for someone else for a little while to learn the business.
best of luck!
mj

ed2hess
02-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Just start reading the various post on this forum there is a lot of information. I think the industry is still being defined but in our area organics is VERY well understood. We just mention that we do organics and people ask us to do things like putting down compost tea, compost, organic fertilize, corn meal and corn gluten. Becasue of the amount of coverage on talk radio every Sat and Sun the customer know a lot more than I will ever learn. They understand that this is the best thing for the environment and know that it takes awhile for the program to work. It is a VERY good business to get into.

lawnlubber
03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
There are many ways to specialize or differentiate yourself in th lawn care industry. Organics is a hot thing now, so it could be a good focus for you. However I think you need more experience, more knowledge and a base of customers before you try to specialize that much. In the beginning I think you should start a mowing business and leave fertilization to someone with a license. You can hone your skills working with organic materials and methods by applying soil ammendments and repairing damaged lawns. Good luck.

nocutting
03-30-2005, 01:00 AM
even if your chemicals are organic you must be a licienced applicator to work for clients. you will need liability insurance and a dba.
it might be easiere to work for someone else for a little while to learn the business.
best of luck!
mj
When approaching your insurance ask for an "Artasans policy", if you truely want to be organic avoid the state licenses or those from the DEC, read some books from "Rodel Press" on organic gardening, ...Look at a chemical lawn care program, yours will be very similar, 5-6 applications of "Neutrients [ fertilizer] & or soil amendments [ lime, sulfur, gypsum, irom, magnesium ], 2 applications of grub control [ benefical insect release or biological controls], the same for chinch bugs....Weed surpression can be done several ways usally in combination.[ seeding is #1, seeding is #2, seeding is #3 ] dont get all caught up in "Composting" the seed area, 1st if your source isnt reliable you'll cause far more weeds than you started with.Use a Slit seeder or a Vertical slicer and avoid a power thatcher at all costs.....Disease control? Fungus? very relative to chemically treated lawns. As a preventive use sulfur or seaweed, that pretty much covers an "Organic Lawn Program"-Saxon