PDA

View Full Version : Freeze damage to chemicals?

thelawnguy
01-31-2001, 10:24 PM
Whoops-just noticed a gallon of Trimec Plus frozen in the garage. Any reason why it shouldnt be any good once it thaws?

UrbanEarth
02-01-2001, 12:24 AM
What's in it? I have frozen Killex (2-4D, Dicamba, Mecoprop) and Roundup and have had no problems with them when they thawed. I would check to make sure the container has not split though.

Alan

John DiMartino
02-01-2001, 12:49 AM
if its not ok to let it freeze it will say so on the label,which everyone reads cover to cover like me when we buy the pesticides.So look there first,i have left roundup in an unheated shop for 11 yrs now with no side effects.

BRL
02-01-2001, 01:56 AM
I believe the Trimec is not supposed to be frozen, according to the label. Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to store mine for the winter too. Have to check on it tomorrow AM.

thelawnguy
02-01-2001, 05:27 PM
So, what happens once it freezes? Ineffective? Separates? Turns into Kool-Aid?

Stonehenge
02-01-2001, 06:41 PM
Yeah. Raspberry flavored. You should try it. LOL-kidding.

I think it depends on the chemicals involved, but the molecular bonds may break, leaving the constituent parts, which may be as effective as Kool-Aid.

powerreel
02-01-2001, 06:51 PM
What's it gonna do? Kill somethin'???

Stonehenge
02-02-2001, 01:09 PM
It might, it might not. Though if you tell the customer it'll kill the weeds and it doesn't, your company doesn't look too good.

morturf
02-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Try here for the lowdown.
http://www.pbigordon.com/Product_Pages/Product_Labels/Trimec_Plus_Label.pdf

Another thing you might try is contacting PBI Gordon directly about your problem thru the technical question part on this page.

http://www.pbigordon.com/

Rodney Anderson
02-03-2001, 08:52 PM
Befpore properly desposing of the product take a 1/2 gallon spot sprayer and mix a small batch and try it on an area in the back field and check on it after 2-4 weeks and see if there any results. That is alot of money to be throwing down the drain. It will be a good practice to prperly syore your products for the winter. What if you had a larger scale spill, then what?

thelawnguy
02-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Here is the reply I recieved from Product Support:

Bill,

Trimec Plus is very milky looking to begin with, but what you need to do
is shake the container, then pour some into a glass container. Let the
material sit for an hour or so. Look for any layering or separation.
If it does not separate, it is ok to use.

Gary Custis, CPAg