PDA

View Full Version : I want to get a new truck, but I need help deciding

dat329
02-08-2005, 05:12 PM
This is my second year in the Lawncare - Landscaping business and I am about to purchase a new truck. I am looking at a Ford F550 crew cab with a dump. I need the 550 for the winter for sanding, but I dont know whether I should get the 9 foot or the 12 foot dump bed. Someone with more experience please advise me, I dont want to get something I wont need. Thanks

iowapride
02-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a 550 with a 9' dump body. I have a 9'2" V Plow and a sander in the back. As far as 9 or 12 ft, it depends on the load you are going to carry. With a crew cab and a 12ft box, or you going to get enough weight on your front axles? And if you have a 12ft box, or you going to be tempted to overload your truck over the what the truck can legally carry? Something else to consider. If you ever put a plow up front it might be too long of wheel base for tighter areas. Those would be my main concerns!

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
02-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Buy a cabover :blob3:

LB Landscaping
02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
What do you focus your business on? Do you haul alot of material, what kind of plowing do you do??

dat329
02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a Blizzard 810s with the wings that expand to 10 feet. I also have 8 foot western sander the red one that sits on the bed, and will be getting a 10 foot sander will that fit on the bed if I get the 9 foot bed? I currently plow for a local contractor, but once I get the bigger truck I will try to get a job with the county or state.

I would like to put a lift on it so that I could get my mowers on it so that I wont have to lug my trailer around. We also do a lot of sodding, gravel work, mulching and I would like to do leaf collection in the fall. I have to order it soon so that I can get it before Spring.

Do

Mycannon
02-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I just got back from a trade show I think I found the right truck GMC 5500 they were asking 33,000 with the duramax in it

dat329
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I think I want to stick with Ford, all my buddies with their tow truck business have fords and they seem proven to me.

dat329
02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
From what I am reading from this site, should I get a regular or crew cab. I have a f250 crew lariat already and I just need this one to haul stuff for big jobs. I can always drop people off at the site and or they can sit in the bed. I am so confused, I dont know what to do. I would like this truck to be able to plow and sand.

Plowing with the truck I have is already hard as it is in small parking lots. I am hoping to expand my business and want to run a second crew as well. What should I do? This is all new to me, and I want to do it right. Thanks for helping everyone.