PDA

View Full Version : It's Official!

Ground Pounder
01-31-2001, 10:46 PM
Today I received word from my banker that my presentation was a success and my loan was approved. I am now officially in business. My next step is an aggressive marketing campaign and to go shopping.

The goal for my first season is 40 customers. Here is my shopping list.

6'x12' utility trailer
Exmark Hydro HP 'Turf Tracer' 52"
Exmark Belt HP 'Metro' 36"
Red-Max Hand Held Blower
Echo Split-Boom w/string trimmer and edger
Misc. tools and spare blades

I have learned much from you guys. No sense in re-inventing the wheel, right?

bob
01-31-2001, 10:55 PM
Congratulations!

Getmow
01-31-2001, 10:57 PM
Mow power to ya'

Eric ELM
01-31-2001, 10:58 PM
Way to go Ground Pounder, I wish you much success in the business.

Davis TLC
01-31-2001, 11:00 PM
Congratulations, Ground Pounder. Have you thought about a little bigger trailer, you can quickly outgrow a 12 footer. In my area it is not much more for a 16 footer. I would suggest that you get one equipped with brakes, they will save some wear and tear on your truck. Just my opinion.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.

[Edited by Davis TLC on 01-31-2001 at 10:02 PM]

Guido
01-31-2001, 11:08 PM
But I'll back him up. I'd spend the little bit of extra cash and go with at least a 16' trailer (if your truck can pull it) You'll be glad you did when you decide to expand and even sometime now you will find yourself packed into a 12' trailer.

Other than that, stick with it and good luck in your venture!

Trimline
01-31-2001, 11:08 PM
Congrats Ground Pounder,

This sounds alot like my first season. I have a couple suggestions on your equipment. For one a back pack blower is well worth the money. Two I might hold off on buying the 36 until you find out how many lawns you need it for. Three
not sure about the split boom. I love my echo trimmer 2601 because of balance and light weight. If I was going to buy another stick edger I would want the biggest engine i could get on one.

good luck.

Esby
01-31-2001, 11:13 PM
I agree with Davis TLC, look into a larger/longer trailer. I bought a 12ft a year ago. I thought I would never be able to use all the room on it. Was I wrong, an extra 4ft would really help. Although I'm not going to buy one this coming spring, the fall looks like a good time to buy for me. Good Luck!!

eggy
01-31-2001, 11:28 PM
Longer trailer and a ZTR walkbehinds become old quick....belive me.

Mark
01-31-2001, 11:42 PM
Pounder thats Great News. Wish you all the best, If its in your heart to please your clients the best you can im sure you do just fine. Marks Mowing Service

65hoss
02-01-2001, 12:02 AM
Congrats!

The price difference between a 12 footer and 14' is to small not to get the 14'.

Don't waste money on a handheld blower. Get the backpack and save yourself some work.

If you market good, you probably should end up with more than 40 accounts.

You've got out of the gate, so now run the race! :)

zimm4
02-01-2001, 12:46 AM
Good luck. Sounds like your starting out right.
Keep us posted as you progress.

Kyle

Runner
02-01-2001, 12:59 AM
Yep. Do the 16 footer and a backpack. In the bushes, you'll really appreciate the extra power and this will help you do a nicer job. Save your money on the split boom, and get a regular trimmer. One reason is that you are going to need a real edger that is dedicated. Get a wheeled edger for your first one because you're going to need it on new edging jobs for doing the initial edges. You'll burn that little split boom up. McClane makes an EXCELLENT one and they're even available at Home Depot now for a pretty good price. Do yourself the favor, and heed this advice. Congratulations, and keep posting! :)

cleancut
02-01-2001, 01:26 AM
Where I live, a 12', 14', and a 16' trailer are all the same price..Go figure..Definitely go with a larger trailer and a backpack blower..It will be worth any extra money..Also, be sure to get a velke for your walk-behind...Derrick

George777
02-01-2001, 06:18 AM
Hey Ground Ponder, Have you ever been in the Infantry?

Craig Turf Management
02-01-2001, 07:10 AM
Congratulations and welcome to the biz. 40 accounts your first year out is an achievable goal. Did someone say buy the larger trailer? Definately!! A 12 footer fills up quickly, and the 16 footer isn't much more expensive. Be sure to get a trailer equipped with brakes. A backpack blower is a must. It's more productive than a handheld model.Good luck.
Bill

smithf36
02-01-2001, 09:09 AM
More on trailers!!

When I started, I barrowed a friends 10' trailor. Imediately I realized this wasn't going to cut it, so I purchased a 20' trailor. I love it. I know it's long, but you have all sorts of room. Price around, I found this 20' trailer in Sikeston,MI for about $1000 less than what I could purchase one around my area. I ordered it straight from the factory. It was about a six hour drive, but when I started, I had more time than $$$$. I have the info on a few trailer manufactures, although it would be one heck of a drive for you. If you are interested e-mail me at smithf36@ytci.com. Hope this helps.

Joe

kutnkru
02-01-2001, 10:53 AM
I would give the thumbs up to the 16'er as well. IF you are going to be carrying rakes and shovels and brooms etc. you might want to consider some pvc piping to use as tool holders - just hose clamp them to the sides/front and you have freed up truck space. We used to do this until we built boxes for the fronts of the trailers, now we have constructed a frame out of 1x's and made a rack for behind the window of the cab with mesh to prevent damage.

I would also recommend that you purchase a back pack blower with the highest cfm (forget mph) you can afford and I think you will find yourself quite content with your purchases.

Just remember: In Sod We Trust(all others pay cash)
Kris

awm
02-02-2001, 07:40 AM
I think you in good.yOU YOUNGUNS can walk.
It will keep you in shape.A ztr would leave
more in the tank at the end of the day though.

Greenkeepers
02-02-2001, 08:24 AM
Congrats Pounder....

I agree w/ everyone about the trailer , go with a 16'.. Backpacks are a big plus as well.. And hold off on that 36" to see if you're really going to need it...

Good luck, let us know how it goes... and what you get...

Ground Pounder
02-02-2001, 10:15 AM
Thanks to everyone for their support. I can't wait till the grass starts growing again!

I had my 2001 Dodge Ram lettered. Here is my door logo!

http://www.libertylawncare.com/images/small-logo.jpg

moonarrow
02-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Congradulations and Good Luck , groundpounder, although I have to agree with the other guys on the trailer I made that mistake and now have 2 trailer, the 12' never leaves the yard. I also agree on the backpack blower and dedicated edger and trimmer it saves a lot of time when in a hurry to every thing done in a day. Once again good luck

HOMER
02-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Like the sign!

lawman
02-02-2001, 03:27 PM
Ground ponder may the INF sunshine never fall you while you are working only when you are done for the day. Charge hard and drive on with your new mission. Out of here!

Ground Pounder
02-02-2001, 10:15 PM
Is there much difference in maneuvering a 12' to a 16' tandem axle?

Eric ELM
02-02-2001, 10:59 PM
The longer they are, the easier they are to back up. I have a 14' and a 24' and the 24' is a lot easier to back up.

jrblawncare
02-03-2001, 05:52 AM
Pounder...Best of luck to ya.....Do a good job and do what you say you will do and you will be fine!Maneuvering a larger trailer is not much differance,in fact I think it is easilier[sp].I'am with all of the above,go with the 16...I don't think anyone said anything about getting brakes on that trailer...Get 'em its worth the extra cash...they have saved me more than once...and get the back pac blower too.JRB

osc
02-03-2001, 09:00 AM
Ground Pounder:

I live an hour and a half south of you. A 12 foot trailor is not the worst thing. You can fit a ZTR and a walk behind on at the same time or 2 big walk behinds and you can mount trimmer traps on the rails for string trimmers. Your truck can hold blowers etc. I think a 12 footer will be easier to handle and definitely be easier on tires. A 16' tandem axle trailor grinds tires off like mad. When you make a turn the tire skid not roll like a single axle. We have a tandem and we can't keep tires on it. I actually paid more for the single axle because it was a nicer trailor with a landscape gate. Definitely get a landscape gate, boards and ramps don't make it.
I may have some lawns to subcontract in Columbus if you are interested. I will know in about a month.

OSC
lrpatric@zoomnet.net

DMC300
02-03-2001, 10:33 AM
Actually,you'll find the longer trailers are a little easier to back in most cases.Definetly look into trailer brakes.My truck needs brakes already(less than 2years).

ron
02-03-2001, 02:49 PM
Hey congrats to one an all may we all grow and prosper in 2001 we are as one in family doing business to keep America Beautiful....LONG LIVE THE GREEN THUMBS...
http://homestead.juno.com/skyler72/ron.html

osc
02-03-2001, 05:46 PM
I guess I need to clarify my statement about the 12' trailers, they are easy to manhandle when you unhook them. You can roll one around by hand, even on grass. They are more difficult to back up when hooked up to a truck than a tandem but ideally you won't park in such a way as to need to back up very often.

Administrator
02-03-2001, 06:12 PM
Get a backpack and a hand held. Sometimes its much easier to grab the hand held for quick jobs.