PDA

View Full Version : lot sweeps

Lawngeek
01-31-2001, 10:36 PM
Im curious about parking lot sweeps.. does anyone provide this service what do you charge by? sq ft? do you do pick up of grass and mulch areas too? in the dark? I like this side of grounds maint so if anybody out there runs a set up please let me know what its like

R&GSweeping
01-31-2001, 11:31 PM
I own a parking lot sweeping business. Experience is the key to pricing lots. The size of the lot is less important than the condition of the lot, amount of trash, amount of cig. butts, amount of leaves/straw, amount of litter accumulated on the grounds before each sweep. Once you get an idea of how long each night it will take you to blow,pick up litter,sweep the lot then I do this. Multiply by $1. So it takes 60 minutes to sweep the lot then thats $60.00. NOW I use this as a guideline. Then I determine how many nights a week. I give a bigger price break for sweeping 7 nights a week vs 1 night a week. My area here is very competitive so depending on how bad I want the account, say for instance its a large chain of grocery stores being swept by my competition, I take my competitions prices into account also. Just like in any service business it boils down to providing "VERY GOOD SERVICE" with competitive pricing. Thats a fine line to walk but it's also good business. Any more questions I would be glad to help.

later...
Ron

Runner
02-01-2001, 12:12 AM
I bet there's a REAL difference in the first sweeping of the season with all the plow debris and such. Of course, the same would apply with new jobs too. I thought about this the other day when I was at a supermarket and I saw all the debris in the cart corrals where snow had been pushed around.

R&GSweeping
02-01-2001, 12:45 AM
Hey Runner: you're right. Something I failed to mention above is the number one killer of seal coating on a parking lot: SAND! I got burnt the first couple of times I did quotes on parking lots that haven't been swept in years. One job I estimated would take 4 hours took 2 days. The lot "looked" fairly clean but I didn't realize there was 20 yrs worth of sand on the lot. In some areas over 3 or 4 inches deep. Even my sweeper with its high powered diesel engine couldn't suck all that sand up without continuously going over it and over it and over it.... You get the idea. Parking lot sweepers are designed to pick up rocks, litter, dirt and sand. Not heavy accumulations of debris, sand, dirt etc. Saying that my sweeper will suck heavy debris like bricks, bottles, large rocks and stuff in that range but its not "primarily" designed to do so.

Ron

Runner
02-01-2001, 11:31 AM
Those things are incredible! I can't count how many times I've done a heavy edging job and only WISHED I had one sitting there then!