PDA

View Full Version : Preseason jitters

dmk395
01-31-2001, 11:51 PM
Preseason jitters, ever get them? What I am talking about feeling that when u start the season, that maybe your customers wont want u back, or that your equiptment wont work. This of course is foolish, with my preparation and such, but I am wondering if anybody else feels this way during the winter.

cleancut
02-01-2001, 12:31 AM
It never fails, I do this every year..I start worrying that I'll lose all of my customers to competition, my help won't be back, and I'll have equip. problems..So you're not alone..But it also never fails, I usually keep all of my customers(we lose a few every year) and usually pick up several more, my help has been with me for 3 years now, and I have almost all new equip..I think this is just human nature to worry..Some of us are worse than others..Good Luck..Derrick

plow kid
02-01-2001, 01:17 AM
just makin sure, lol

Nate

lawnworker
02-01-2001, 08:06 AM
yep i sometimes feel like that to. But so far each year i keep about 90% of the Custermers from last year i think they get used to good service and dont want to try anyone new. Most of what we worry about happening bad never does.

good luck to you

smithf36
02-01-2001, 08:12 AM
I'm glad to see that everyone else worries about this too. I've never really lost that many accounts although it wouldn't be good!

lawn and stump
02-01-2001, 08:35 AM
I hate to write up estimates this time of year, I always
bid too low because we are so dead. I worry that maybe the leaf cleanup bill they paid in Dec. left them with a bad taste and they have all winter to find someone else.
BUT I have been in business 15yrs and the customers I lose usually have died or move and I always get back more new ones.When I'm busy in the spring I price my jobs where they should be and don't take the crap yards.

accuratelawn
02-01-2001, 09:55 AM
We all feel some of this.
Things I did to lessen the worry. At the end of last season I asked on the final bill which customers would continue service. I had mowers serviced to assure they would be ready for the following season. I know from the past that I will lose 5-10% of accounts to moving etc. I also purchase replacement parts and hand held equipment at the end of the season to ready for the next season. Just a few things I do (because I am a worrier).

Runner
02-01-2001, 10:32 AM
This all comes from anticipation. It's sort of an anxiety trait. I'll tell you what happens to me, is I start having dreams more frequently about working. I mean ALOT! Then on that first day when the rig pulls out, I'm excitedly asking myself; "Is this real?" Does anyone else get these dreams that frequent?

kutnkru
02-01-2001, 11:37 AM
Sounds stupid but I often feel like a mowing addict this time of year.

Last week I stopped into an Agway to ask for directions and had to go thru the back shop where they repaired the mowers and such. I could smell the clippings from the decks just like they had freshly cut acres upon acre. Ironically it all smelled so fresh, and I couldnt get the smell out of my nose.

That evening I went to the barn where we store our equipment to see if I could smell it there. I dont mean to sound like a junkie but I had hoped I could smell it as strongly as in the mower shop, but to my dismay could not.

I did however wake up the next morning feeling refreshed like at the end of the first day from cutting and getting the tension out of my system. I guess its just the anxiety associated with sitting idle over the winter months.

Thanks for listening - LOL
Kris

Runner
02-01-2001, 11:42 AM
Aroma therapy! ALmost like an aphrodisiac!

Twotoros
02-01-2001, 02:50 PM
Jitters? Yep. Last year was my worst in many. Lowballers yanked at least 8 accounts from me. This year I am raising most accts 5% and that means I'll lose a few. The economy here has recenyly been compared to Applacia and Mississippi ie; poor.
Jitters yep . Last year in biz - maybe. Moving -probably.

Currier
02-01-2001, 04:27 PM
I get jitters. But instead of feeling nervous I end up spending tons of energy doing and redoing things such as my brochure. Probably it was great the first time but I start getting very detail oriented and it gets downright ridiculous!

I also find myself constantly "dreamin and schemin" Thinking about trying all kinds of different stuff. I am so ready for the season to start. It looks like I will lose about 5 accounts from last year due to price increases and a new billing plan. The customers that I have kept will be a great base, and I imagine the lost ones will be replaced throughout the season. Good luck all!

Grassman
02-01-2001, 04:58 PM
Most of us that are serious about the business feel restless. Try to think about last summer when you were working your butts off and had all those great ideas for your time off. NOW DO THEM! You've only got a few more months and you'll be back in the work routine and regreting it. Work hard and have fun, Russ

rats5656
02-01-2001, 04:58 PM
yes i fell the same way about starting up every year. this past year was the worst year ever had because it was my frist year in business and it starer out ok until may 28,
2000 ihad a fatal truck accident i fell aslepp at the wheel of my truck and hit tree head on. also iwas lucky to have only broke my left wrist and was out of work for nine weeks. so from that point on it hard with 65 accts and a broken wrist to work . to work every week with no more but local landscapers to let me use there truck for a few weekends and on fathers day ,two father as my helpers that day ,any way my point i lost about 15 customers that past may and things were not getting any better my one full time worker was leaving me because there was not enough hours and no truck but a month later i bought a new truck, it's hard to get loans at 21 with no past creadit history , that why i took a month to get a truck. Anyway just letting you know it hard out there and be cruel there are many more stories that happy this past year but to much to go inti detail.

MY POINT IS THAT THAT I HAVE NOT QUIT AND THIS YEAR CAN ONLY GET BETTER . P.S. I HOPE

awm
02-01-2001, 05:38 PM
expect the best,be ready for the worst

osc
02-01-2001, 07:36 PM
who was the fatality?

powerreel
02-01-2001, 07:56 PM
:eek: :eek: When it's time to go over the top everyone's scared. You'll be fine and have a great year. Just make sure All your equipt maint. is updated and be ready to be so busy you have no time even for yourself. Everyone feels this way, if you didn't something would be wrong :eek: :eek:

Ground Pounder
02-01-2001, 08:02 PM
How about First Season worries? I am a nervous wreck.

Jusmowin
02-01-2001, 08:04 PM
Yea Im having "Mower Withdraws",Im ready to start mowing again to make some money and loose this extra 10 pounds

BUSHMASTER
02-01-2001, 10:04 PM
Thats a common thing for those who step out on a limb for a dream, take the plunge,etc..try this..when that thought comes over you ask your self some of these questions...
1. Are you enjoying what you are doing.
2. are you more avaibile for the family then you would be
working for someone else.
3.does more work just seem to pop up just when you need it
4.do you make folks happy from what you do.
you can make up some more if needed.......

if your making just enough to scratch by.....
if your customers keep shifting around this is normall most of what you lose every year is ussally replaced with more profitble jobs making it almost ineverable that you'll make the money you want to.

don't worrie you were looking for accounts when you found the one's you have now.......the trick is producing more profit with less work and then runnin with it.....

keep beatin the BUSHES..things will fall.....

Acute Cut
02-01-2001, 10:14 PM
well, gee, i had somehow avoided that this year (mass snowboarding and studying for lawn cert) but now that i have read this post i am jittery as heck. THANKS!

I was jittery the other day. Was (am) contemplating painting my mowers to match my business colors. (red to blue) Is that jittery?

Just hired a web designer and placed ads in two phone books. Is that jittery?

My work shirts all got washed and refolded so they smell clean in a month or so. Is that jittery?

Am on here every morning and night reading posts and day dreamin (biding) my time away. THAT IS JITTERY!

jay
02-01-2001, 10:14 PM
Going through them right now. Having second thoughts on raising rates, everyday here on the news they talk about our power situation, raising prices, and business going under. Nerves are kind of going crazy now.

plow kid
02-01-2001, 11:06 PM
still jittery;) Today i put stabil in all the gas tanks, And started up the 2 strokers.:D

Dont paint your equipment unless your gonna have the old paint sandblasted off, otherwise you will have blue mowers with red racin' stripes, lol. :cool:

HOMER
02-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Ya'll got it bad! :confused:

yardsmith
02-02-2001, 12:26 AM
Geez, so glad to know I'm not alone.
I've already had calls for bids in mid January, & the first one I talked to I could hardly form words out of my mouth. Stumbling on what to say, cuz it's been months since the 'ol sales pitch was rollin' of my tongue like a well oiled machine. I usually get REALLY nervous the first day or two of actual mowing, afraid I'll hit something or scalp, leave ruts, tear up the soft ground, etc. By the 2nd week I'm usually back in the saddle & lovin' it.

65hoss
02-02-2001, 12:58 AM
I'm not cutting grass, but still doing leaf jobs. I could be working 40 hrs per week right now if I wanted to. I was riding the Lazer today. :) I still have 5 more leaf jobs waiting. I must say, its been nice not firing the weed wacker up.

I'm only loosing clients that I sent letters to ending my services with them due to slow pay or pain in the ---. The customers I'm keeping are a very good base that will also be references for me. I have about 1 month and the weeds will start growing and cutting season will be starting to get under way again. Last year by March 15th I was already pretty busy with spring cleanups. :D Even though this has been a really bad winter in the midsouth, fall cleanups are still going on, I guess fall will turn into spring without time OFF. :cool: