PDA

View Full Version : rust on pavers

bigviclbi
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
what is the best product to get rust off pavers. i know ephenry sells a specific product but thought i would check with you guys first!

YardPro
02-10-2005, 07:34 AM
any acid will work.
there is a product called on and off that is used to get rust stains off of boat decka that will work, buy we have used hydrochloric or sulphuric acid when my guys have not gotten all the ironite off a drive and we have had some staining.

kris
02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Id try the product they have... unilock also has a product

bigviclbi
02-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna go pick some up when I can. Will post how it works, I am not too confident.

Critical Care
02-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Heh heh, bigviclbi, I'm a bit like you - generally a little pessimistic about some of these products. Rust can be a bear to get out, or off, of some things.

You know, there are a lot of homes in this area that have rust spotted sidewalks and driveways. More than you can shake a stick at! If it weren't such a hands and knees and toothbrush type of job, and if a product really did a good job, then a person like me could make some extra cash just from cleaning up the mess left behind from careless iron tossing mau-mau knuckle walkers.

1bsman
02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
According to a pamphlet from the Portland Cement Association, the following should work:
Surface stains: 1 part sodium citrate or ammonium citrate to 6 parts warm water mixed with 7 parts lime free glycerol. Mix to a thick paste with calcium carbonate. Apply a thick layer with a trowel and leave for two to three days. Scrape off and wash.
Deep stains: Saturate a cloth with 1 part SC or AC with 6 parts water. Apply it over the stain for 30 mins. It can also be brushed on at 30 min intervals Follow up by sprinkling a thin layer of sodium hydrosulfite crystals and cover with a powdered inert material and water. REmove and wash away after one hour. If the stain blackens, it can be treated hith hydrogen peroxide.
Never tried these. The materials seem complex. The PCA is very reputable so I trust the technique works. Perhaps compare the ingredients in over-the-counter cleaners to whats in the list above?

YardPro
02-17-2005, 07:33 AM
ACID, ACID, ACID

not to sound like a hippie, BUT TRY ACID.

we have rust sains on pool decks all the time from cheap steel furniture ( we are at the coast. steel and salt don't mix well).

we just use the pool acid ( non fuming sulphuric acid). it also cleans oil stains (suntan oil, etc)

Del9175
02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Heh heh, bigviclbi, I'm a bit like you - generally a little pessimistic about some of these products. Rust can be a bear to get out, or off, of some things.

You know, there are a lot of homes in this area that have rust spotted sidewalks and driveways. More than you can shake a stick at! If it weren't such a hands and knees and toothbrush type of job, and if a product really did a good job, then a person like me could make some extra cash just from cleaning up the mess left behind from careless iron tossing mau-mau knuckle walkers.

I have cleaned rust stained sidewalks with little to no effort using oxallic acid. All I do is mix it up in some warm water and spray it pretty generously over the whole sidewalk. After that the only thing left to do is go home. When it dries it will be white as can be.

YardPro
02-18-2005, 08:46 PM
yep, see man, ACID