PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Track Skid-Steer-How are they in Mud?

jablandscaping
02-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Guys,
I like the Bobcat Mt52-Thomas 35Dt--Anyone got one stuck?
If you did-how did you get it out(back-yards are pretty tight)?
Both diesel's-Similar Horse power-Bobcat-slightly bigger
which is better??
need a good push in the right direction-20 000$ push!

YardPro
02-09-2005, 10:36 PM
20K??
we got out tx425 for $14and change

no mud yet, but have used mine in pure beach sand...

any track machine would be better than a wheeled unit in the mud/sand

the tracked units are more expensive, but well worth it IMO.

Gilla Gorilla
02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Jab

I will be demoing a MT52 at the begining of next week. I will be getting the bucket with teeth, 4-1 bucket and the stump grinder attachment and I think I will call back tomorrow and ask if they can bring the planer/carry all attachment also.

I am going to be using at my in-laws yard that was torn up by the tornado here last September, grinding 16 stumps down, removing a small rock wall that bordered a flower bed and was set in mortar and also seeing how the 4-1 bucket does with moving 6 to 10 ft wide logs and also smaller ones from the bottom of the hill to the top. It will be a lot of walking for me since this yard is very wet and muddy I dont think that their sulky with be worth trying with that small wheel on the back.

I am going between the MT52 and the Dingo 420. I would like the larger tracked machines but I just hate like hell to spend $15,000 or $20,000 grand on one and then not be able to get it into some customers back yards becuase of a 36 inch gate. Altough I have looked at the Boxer and like the idea of the power widening tracks but do not like the idea of getting stuck in a gated back yard and the tracks not retracting. Another con for the Boxer for me is the nearest dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away at least so they are out of the question for me.

I will try to let you know next week what I think about the Bobcat. Oh yeah I normally do not do stump grinding but I thought that this would be a perfect oppourtunity to use the stump grinder to see if it would be worth buying later on down the road.

allaccesslandscaping
02-10-2005, 04:28 AM
I gotten mine stuck twice in the mud... Its a ***** getting them out.. Just be careful when you work in mud.. I was rushing... I have two mt-52 and love them to death... Its pro and cons to all of them ... but As i said anything better then a dam Wheel barrow

YardPro
02-10-2005, 08:37 AM
see, you NEED the wider tracks of the rest of the mini's..
i told you the mt tracks were too narrow :)

Just picking with ya.. couldn't resist.

jablandscaping
02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm going to check on the Thomas diesel-Not as big as the mt52!
the bucket dumps at a 70 + angle- bobcat 45 angle-does it matter?
So far-I think the hydraulic set-up on the Thomas is better-more attachments?
anyone try both?

D Felix
02-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I/we haven't looked very hard at the Thomas machines. The closest dealer for those is over 1 1/2 hours away, so it's not worth it.

From what I've gathered about the Thomas loaders, is they are an entry-level machine. Take that however you want; I've never seen one, let alone operated one.

I did put together a spreadsheet with almost all of the specs on several of the mini-track loaders, it was posted in the Landscaping forum. If you read (or have read) through the thread in this forum (or was it the Tractor forum?), there's a link to that thread there. The spreadsheet is just published specs.

Right now, we're looking primarily at the MT's, the TX's and the Ditch Witch SK500. The ground is frozen right now, and we probably won't start demo-ing until sometime next month. I'll be sure to post what we decided on.

Dan

Tigerotor77W
02-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Bobcat has rolled out the MT55, which has more power and is a bit heavier.

YardPro
02-12-2005, 09:40 AM
jablandscaping

you were wondering about dump angles.

it does make a little difference. not as muck for bucket dumping, but for attachments that you have to point down to use.

if you're using the bucket tipped down to push some dirt, or to scrape a little off the top, then it comes into play.
i wish the dingo had a little more rom in the bucket articulation.

for mud look ar ground psi.
the mt52 has over 5psi where the sk boxer, dingo are all about 3. the mt 55 is about 4. it has wider tracks, and a little more weight.

gilla.

the sk500 has adjustable tracks. you can narrow down the machine to fit through 36 inch gates. it's a manual adjustment, and is a little of a pita, BUT the sk is an awesome machine. I spent a lot of time on the mt52 and the SK500. they were both good machines. but the sulky design for the MT and the unique mounting plate put it out of the running for us ( even before we considered the rutting issue).

the boxer was nice, but the controls made my thumbs cramp up. I think i was wrong about the vulnerability of the track widening hydrualics.. and there were other quirks. All minor, but they added up.

for us it came down to the SK and the dingo.

what made out decision was price. $4K less for the same package from toro.

jablandscaping
02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your advice - gonna buy the bobcat-36" wide is the final differance between mt52 & 35dt
thanks