PDA

View Full Version : putting flyers in newspaper boxes?

bluerider
02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
First off let me start by saying that I am already aware that putting anything in a mailbox is a federal offense. But I was thinking that a lot of people in my area get the local newspaper delivered to them and have there own little red newspaper box that the papers are put in. Has anyone every tried putting there flyers in these boxes? What does everyone think about doing this? Has anyone ever had any problems with it? Will the local newspaper have a problem with me doing this?

jt5019
02-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I have put them in newpaper boxes and never had a problem.I have no idea if its legal or not but seeing as the mailman doesnt touch the newpaper box i dont think you would get any complaints.It has been pretty effective for me, people grab the flyer with the newspaper and take look at it.

Lawnchoice
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
As I understand it, as long as you do not touch the mail box in any way, you can put a flyer on the post and/or newspaper box.

Hitting them at the right time is critical. I mean time of day. Try to get them all done before they pick up the paper in the morning or afternoon delivery.

Good luck out there!

St. J - home of Turf Magazine!

jarroo's lawncare
02-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I have put them in paperboxes in the past but this year I was going to go door to door and shake hands and introduce myself this season and see if this will help me out on the business I will get this season.

tinman
02-10-2005, 11:52 AM
As long as the flyer does not touch the mailbox you are ok. Anywhere on the mailbox post is fine as stated earlier. I double checked with my postmaster. Good luck.

bluerider
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Have any of you been called by the newspaper and told not to do it? I am a little worried that they might because I am advertising for free using there boxes instead of paying them to put an ad it the paper.

Mykster
02-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Two years ago I put some fliers in paper boxes to find a message on answering machine from that newspaper telling me it was the property of the paper. If it continued they will take action. Maybe he was just an a$$, just something you may want to check with you local paper

Old Red
02-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I wonder if you couldn't approach the newspaper deliverer and ask if he'd deliver your flyers along his route for a reasonable price? That way your flyer might be rubberbanded right to the paper instead of loose in the box.

HOOLIE
02-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I always put them in the paper boxes if available. Never had a problem. What I really like is, in some neighborhoods every mailbox post will have this little cubby hole built in where you can put your flyers.

mastercare
02-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Technically, a paperbox which has a paper's name on it is their property, and you can't use it for advertising....IF they complain...I've never had a problem. IF you have one of those boxes that is generic and can be used by any newspaper (usually built right into the mailbox frame) then you're clear.

I made the mistake of rubber banding flyers to the mailbox door's pull handle. The mail carrier came up behind me and said that it is in her way to get into the box (which it wasn't...because I only put it on the top handle, not the door's handle) and that it was illeagal. She said that wedging it between the flag and the box was fine though. I did it that way for the rest of the day, without problems. If you had a different carrier in a different nieghborhood, you might get a different opinion. I'll be calling the postmaster this year.