PDA

View Full Version : EDGE FEE???

ParksLandscaping
02-01-2001, 07:34 AM
I am wondering how many of you guys charge extra for the first edge of the season, because of the time it takes to cut away those inches of sod from the sidewalk and edges? I always have, but I am wondering if I am the only one.

Greenman2ooo
02-01-2001, 08:38 AM
For sure. We are really selling time. To me a minute is worth anywhere from .75 - $1.50, depending on what I am doing.

Edging the first time can take a tremendous amount of time, especially if it has been years since it has been edged. I did one like this last season. I charged accordingly after pulling back 4" of overgrown grass from the sidewalk when giving the estimate.

If I estimate it will take twice as long as usual (a month or so of growth) I charge twice the normal rate of a quick weekly touch-up.

Greenkeepers
02-01-2001, 08:54 AM
For our weekly customers we include it in the price of the cut. But for those who we just pick up and haven't been edged in a year we charge between $.70 and $1.00 per minute or about $40-60 per hour.

MOW ED
02-01-2001, 09:02 AM
Edging was a popular topic a while back. I charge extra for edging 95% of the time. So if its a touch up or a first time I charge for it. The rate is different as Greenman2k stated, if it is overgrown the rate is higher. I know some of the experts that have literature published will give recommendations on how much to charge, I personally know what my market bears and what customers will pay.

It was interesting to see that some LCO's include edging in their weekly or biweekly rotation and some don't edge unless requested. I'm not talking about running the string trimmer over the edges but actually pushing the edger. It seems to depend on location and of course customer preference. Some very high profile homes or businesses will get the full service treatment. If you have the time and profit built in then it makes it easier to pull the edger off every week. Most of my customers do not desire this level of service. (but I always ask)
Good Luck

Scraper
02-01-2001, 09:21 AM
I push edge for the customers with walks and concrete drives. It is part of basic service and is incorporated in my fee. It is one of those things that makes you stand out from most others. Around here most guys use their stringtrimmers to do it, but with a push edger it comes out perfect everytime. I just love looking back down the sidewalk after it is done and see my perfect edges run into the neighbors scraggy edges which were done by a "competitor" with a string trimmer. I don't charge any additional fee for current customers whose edges were defined already last season, but any new customers will pay a nominal fee to get them into shape. Then after that it's a cakewalk.

bobbygedd
02-01-2001, 10:26 AM
ive charged anywhere from $30-$70 for the initial edging, where we had to scrape up the pieces with a shovel etc. after that its part of the service and we charge no xtra, takes about 2-3 min every other week

Runner
02-01-2001, 11:45 AM
I charge about 15 to 20 bucks for a standard subdivision lot that is done once per month. The initial edge for regular customers usually runs about 25% more and is done with the spring cleanups. A new customer would cost more as I would probably have to remove sod after for the initial edge. There are of course sometimes extreme cases like places that have never been done or not done in 20 years or so. Those are a whole different deal. When you guys cut slivers of sod off, you DO use a "hula hoe" don't you? This is by far the best thing to use. I've seen peoplt usind flat shovels and everything else.

Groundcover Solutions
02-01-2001, 04:17 PM
We charge any where form $35-100 dollers depending on the size of project or how much sod is hanging over we also incorperate dumping fees to make the price seem a bit more resonable!! Just my 2 cents!

kutnkru
02-01-2001, 04:30 PM
For new accounts or a one time edging we charge per hour. I could not quote from this thread but here is how we priced our edging services.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=8102

Hopr this helps.
Kris

lawman
02-01-2001, 07:45 PM
for the reg customer it is in the price for their normal cut. for the gut that want to have is yard cleaned up in the spring and then dumps you. I charge hard.

Guido
02-01-2001, 07:57 PM
I'd do it for regular customers twice a month or as needed. You could easily get away with adding an additional fee onto a "spring clean-up" bill if the first time takes you longer than normal.

HOMER
02-01-2001, 08:03 PM
I rarely do just an edge job. If someone calls and wants it they wouldn't want to pay what I would want to charge them. My regular customers get edged every trip and it's included in their monthly price. New customers with bad edges get charged accordingly, I might stick $20.00 more on the first cut. I don't own a 3 wheeled edger and have never had any trouble with my Stihl. Slap a new blade on it and go to town.