PDA

View Full Version : Our website is up, tell me what you think

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 12:00 AM
We just got our website up and running today. Would like to hear what you think about it.

Thanks,

Petr51488
02-12-2005, 12:02 AM
What is it?

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I guess that would help.

www.creativelawncaresolutions.com

Petr51488
02-12-2005, 12:06 AM
I guess that would help.

Lol thanks..i thought maybe that i didn't see it at first..

Team Lawn Care
02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
I guess that would help.

It looks good. What version of Front Page are you working with? I am in the process of building my web page also. Your logo looks really good, great graphics.

MMLawn
02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Not being rude but. There's not much to it really. Very little content other than your name and logo on each page. Is this just a "starter" website for when you get more time to complete it (I hope you didn't pay someone this that small amount of work)?

2 man crew
02-12-2005, 01:03 AM
I know 20 other companies that service that lawn!

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 01:15 AM
TLC - I didn't build it so I don't know what version of front page it is.

MMLawn - that is really the way I wanted it. I didn't want to make it complicated ,just the facts. What does your site have on it?

2 man crew - what's your point?

KCLandscape
02-12-2005, 01:24 AM
boring....
Nicer if you added some content to all the sub areas
snow, lawn care...ect...

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 01:25 AM
I still have to add some things to those areas.

all ferris
02-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Every pic I saw made it look like you build decks.

Bull
02-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Smitty58, from the looks of your photo slide show I would think that you are in the business of building decks rather than lawncare. All 5 of the slides seemed to focus more on the decks attached to the homes rather than the lawn. Just my opinion.

sildoc
02-12-2005, 03:52 AM
Pretty bland. I agree on the deck issue. If you are trying to show your maintenance part you need some other photos.

Richard Martin
02-12-2005, 09:04 AM
You may want to consider some other way to display your pics. It wanted a Java plug-in and for someone on dialup at around 64 megs it ain't worth it to see the pics. Don't make a potential customer jump though hoops to see your product.

yamadooski
02-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Wow I hope I get this many objections when Im finished with mine.
If you take all this and fix it, it should be a nice site.

Now with my criteria, you mentioned affordable pricing.
This means the only clients you will pick up are the ones that are looking for the cheapest price. Get rid of the "affordable prices" on the front page.

Precision
02-12-2005, 10:03 AM
You asked for opinions, and I assume that means critical ones, so here goes.

1. I don't like the boxes that trigger you to the pages, home, photos, services and the like. having the boxes with the angled look makes them look off center. Not big, but it distracted me.

2. I think you are crazy only requiring 10% down on paver and deck installs. Maybe materials plus 10% or something like 40%. Obviously it is your business, but wow that is risky.

3. I agree on the java thing. too slow. I have cable and I got bored waiting.

4. Things like "we use the best products" isn't a selling point, it says nothing. "We use only lesco slow release fertilizers" is much better. Always be specific. Even if the client doesn't know what lesco is they will assume it is professional grade and they will know they can't buy it so assume it is better. Obviously don't say it if it isn't true, but more specific is better. Same thing with pavers. " We only use (paver company name), the best in the business"

5. I agree with the idea that each area of business should have its own set of pictures. Perhaps an in progress slide show or at least before and afters.

6. We specialize in all aspects of lawn care is not a good line either. We can handle all of your greenscape needs and specialize in these areas then make your list. Then have the list as links to your detailed service and pics.

7. Since I don't have a website, it is way better than mine.

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Precision - I appreciate your feedback ,and I know there will be changes I'll make to my site. A lot of what my changes will be will be some suggestions I've heard here. I also appreciate the fact that your comments also included

seems like there are some who are good at giving there opinions (negative)
when they don't have a site themselves.

I do appreciate everyones feedback although it is tough to hear the negative ones. That is always the risk you take when you ask for opinions.

PMLAWN
02-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Precision - I appreciate your feedback ,

seems like there are some who are good at giving there opinions (negative)
when they don't have a site themselves.

I do appreciate everyones feedback although it is tough to hear the negative ones. That is always the risk you take when you ask for opinions.

Ouch! Precision was kind enough to give his advice/opinion, which was what you asked for and you reply with a smart a$$ remark.

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 05:53 PM
That was meant as a compliment. He was the only one that admitted he didn't have a site although he was commenting on mine. I didn't mean that comment

"seems like there are some who are good at giving there opinions (negative)
when they don't have a site themselves."

to be a slam on Precision.

Shuter
02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Not bad, but too much under construction.

PMLAWN
02-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Then I am sorry. It sounded that way but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for clearing up.

ksland
02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
It is in the making I am sure, relax guys....

Agree with the crooked boxes around the links, don't like.

Take some good pictures of your work. If you don't have any don't use others.

It takes a lot of time and effort, don't try to half ass it to get it up and running, Your phone isn't going to ring off the hook.

I like the slideshow but too slow in loading as others say. People are just not going to sit and watch 20 pictures, get them right to the pic they want to see, fast.

derek1
02-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I think the site is a very good started site it may need work but I am sure you are already aware of this. Nice site :waving:

ALarsh
02-12-2005, 07:07 PM
1) I don't really like how long the domain is. I would have shortened it down (ex - My name is Clean Cut Lawn Service, I shortened it down to cclawnservice.com)

I don't like the design. That design is provided by front page - I would suggest downloading one from Gopher.

I have downloaded one from gopher, I have minimal knowledge in html and I have a pretty good looking site: www.cclawnservice.com

drsogr
02-12-2005, 07:27 PM
First of all, do people even look at websites when trying to figure out who the want for lawncare...maybe once in awhile. Either way you look at it, your website represents your work, if you have a half-arsed website, the customer might think that you do half-arsed work. I defintely have to agree with the domain name...shorten it up. If I am driving down the road, and see your website name plastered on the side of your truck, it should be something I can remember.

Your front page should show your work, not a giant logo. Your logo should be on the front page, but shouldn't be the main focus.

The boxes, do look bad, the counter is really bad. How many professionally designed websites do you see with a counter? You do not need 2 sets of links to the same thing....side and bottom.

I would also suggest either removing links or adding content. I do not want to click on a link just to read a paragraph, and then another link for another paragraph.

And your right....I don't have a website yet. I do not put out anything that doesn't represent my company in a professional manner...I would suggest you take the same approach. There are many websites were you can get a webpage template. Basically a professionally designed website, and you add your information. Many of these are relatively inexpensive.

All of this being said this website does look better, than a lot of them that I have seen on here...but thats not saying much.

Precision
02-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I took the comment for how you meant it.

I haven't decided I need one so I haven't bothered. But some day I will get the energy, time and money together all at the same time and we will see what it looks like.

thill
02-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Smitty58

I think your "just launched" site looks pretty darn good. Congrats on getting one online.

No doubt, you will be making changes as the site progresses and a majority of the input you got was constructive.

That's what makes this forum what it is!

Best of luck.

Tom

Smitty58
02-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all the constructive criticism. It helps to get others point of view on things. As far as the domain name goes I think it's better to have consistency. Our company name, email address, and website are all the same so if you see our truck going down the road and wonder how to get in touch with us ,I think it would be easier to remember the website and email because they are our company name. Why would you want to have a company name , a totally different web domain, and a totally different email address. It's too much to remember. I did not have pics of lawns we mow seeing how it's winter so that is something we plan to ad.
drsogr- I agree with your first comment. I think the biggest benefit to having a website is this, if you have gone to the expense of having a website, email, accepting credit cards, insurance, etc it sets you apart from the guy with a truck and a mower. It just makes you look more professional to me.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-12-2005, 11:30 PM
even though I spelt consitency wrong lol. I'm SGLC Property Services, www.sglc.ca, (don't go to the site yet), and e mail is @sglc.ca. Driving that SGLC in there hard.

ALarsh
02-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Our company name, email address, and website are all the same so if you see our truck going down the road and wonder how to get in touch with us ,I think it would be easier to remember the website and email because they are our company name. Why would you want to have a company name , a totally different web domain, and a totally different email address. It's too much to remember.

You completely missed the point. It is not a completely different name, it is an abbreviation of your name. It is done all the time in business. The first one that comes to mind is United States Postal Service and www.USPS.com

Groundcover Solutions
02-13-2005, 01:44 AM
In my openion under construction should be taken out. Mabye use something like more to come soon. Under construction is over used and just dose not seem very proffesional.

olderthandirt
02-13-2005, 02:20 AM
Since you did not have one before I think its 100% better. Any time or way that you can get your name in front of potential customers your improving your chances of signing them up. Simple is better I don't know anyone that spends that much time critiquing an lco web site before they pick up the phone and call, if they don't call it won't be because you did not spend thousands having your site professionally designed. Customers know that if you spend money on a professional site with many pages that you have to make that money back some how and its usually through higher rates. JMO

Mac

tonygreek
02-14-2005, 11:38 AM
- you obviously want your logo front and center, often to the detriment of the surrounding content as it's overwhelming, but the quality of the image is poor. it's a gif, which is the best for flat color images, but it looks like it may have been in a .jpg format prior to being a gif. is this a correct assumption? the file size of close to 20k for that should be crystal clear, which it is not. it could probably be around 12k and still be perfect.

- the use of the huge logo gets too repetitive and detracts from the content, even to the point of not recognizing i've switched pages.

- lose the "under construction". there's only one worse error one could have and that is using applets.

- you might try a manual, scripted slide-show and lose the applet. you'll lose a segment of the population that have their security set to not allow them.

- your contact form is launching as another browser window and attempts to save the file on my computer. if i manually go to the page, i receive a dead link. it seems you have the form in your root directory which is probably not, and should not be, set to scripting.

- a site built for the 1024x768 audience is a bad choice. 40+% of the population runs 800x600, so take for example your logo, on 8x6, it looks like king kong and blows away the visitor.

- i have a website or two.

tony

Carolina Cutter
02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Got a question for ya about your payment plans.

You state that monthly services are invoiced and are due 5 days after reciept. OK, so how would you know when a customer recieved a bill? If you were billing me and I wanted to put payment off for a few days I could simply tell you when you called me that it hadn't arrived yet and as soon as it does I will send you payment.

I think you need to decide on a certain day of the month that the payments are due rather than the way you are doing it now.

Does your credit card company allow you to pay that way? No...they have a set date that payment must be recieved by.

Think about it.

WKLGreen
02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Everyone that builds sites for the first time it takes some tweeking and learning one easy place to go get free software is go to house hold names like yahoo.
For ease of use you can't beat their site builder 2.1. That said say you have 5000 cards or flyers to put on doors and you see Bills lawn service card on the door also . The homeowner says Who in the HEll is BILL? If the site never gives you anything more than a reference point it will pay for its self. We're still tweeking on our site BUT BY GOD WE CAN TWEEK THATS WHATS IMPORTANT.I'm sure one of these code spitting gurus could chew my site up and spit it out. Who cares I live in the land of milk and honey called the DFW metroplex.

Good Luck

http://www.wellkeptlawn.com

Smitty58
02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
WKLGreen- thanks, I do need some tweaking but that will come.

merlin- when I send my invoices, I'm pretty certain they will get there in 1 day, 2 at the most so I expect to be paid 6-7 days after I mail them out. That doesn't always happen ,but that is the plan. I get bills in the mail that say "due upon receipt" ,not sure why that is a problem. I thought about putting a specific date but then if I don't get the invoices out on time it doesn't give the customer enough time to get it back in. So basically I think that is a minor problem, have not really had a problem getting paid.
btw - "scheduling" is spelled wrong on your site.

Rex Mann
02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Everything has a beginning, even a website. I am sure yours will evolve into what will help capture your market. I consider our site a work-in-progess, WIP,
I try to tweak it here-and-there about every quarter.
Good luck.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com (http://rmstonescaping.com)

Dunn's
08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Bump I got another one for ya.

jamo1911
09-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey man, site is coming allong great!
I would be a little more careful on the install end. I do 1/3 down, 1/3 the day we start and 1/3 the day we finish. Most customers will find that fair. I guess on little jobs 50/50 is fine but when you get into the 25k plus jobs you have a lot in material and labor to cover. Just my 2 cents.

WebMan
09-24-2006, 11:52 AM
l really don't understand why the continued bumps of obsolete threads, I doubt the original poster sees them, but anyhow; as for the original site that started the thread:

I won't take pages telling you everything that's wrong...I just noticed you have hired someone who claims to be a professional designer. I hope he:
has just started on it and has a long way to go
is a friend doing it free
charged next to nothing if that's the finished site.

I thought it was still a do-it-yourself deal and was going to list a bunch of tips like usual, but if he's getting paid it's his job to do MUCH better than that...but I looked at his page and it's very basic and built with years-old software so...;)

Angela221
09-25-2006, 02:23 AM
What is your web address?

topsites
10-21-2006, 03:16 PM
The main problem here is frames...

I noticed the top portion didn't look right, thou after I zoomed out with the mousewheel, it all finally came into view.

So get rid of the frame first, that is:
http://www.creativelawncaresolutions.com/services.htm

For the menu, the graphics sure take a bit to load...
To get a buttonized effect without graphics, consider this:

(colors can be adjusted, lime is a color)
<head><style type="text/css">
#links {list-style: none;}

#links li {
border: 2px outset lime;
width: 92px;
text-align:center;
}

#links a{
padding: 2px;
display: block;
width: 99%;
color: lime;
text-decoration: none;
}

#links a:hover{
background-color: #00AE00;
}
</style>
</head><body>

<ul id="links">
<li style="background-color:teal"><font color="lime">Main Page</font></li>
<li><a href="about.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">About</font></a></li>
<li><a href="services.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Services</font></a></li>
<li><a href="links.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Links</font></a></li>
<li><a href="estimates.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Estimates</font></a></li>
<li><a href="specials.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Specials</font></a></li>
<li><a href="specifics.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Specifics</font></a></li>
<li><a href="contact.html" style="text-decoration: none"><font color="lime">Contact</font></a></li></ul>

iakentdoz
11-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Smitty58

Looks good. Just remember the more info you place on your site, like links, keywords and Pictures, then you will get more hits. Have your web master check you site out useing Fire Fox, I used Fire Fox and can only see 1/3 of you top menu but when I use IE 7.0 I can see all of it.

mdvaden
11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
It looks like there might be a menu, but I can't tell.

There's less than 1/16" of some thin horizontal field that looks like there might be some chopped-off menu buttons.

If that's the case, the Web Designer probably won't want the name displayed on the bottom until it's fixed.

WebMan
11-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Looks the same to me but my main concern is
(a) the web site doesn't SAY anything...sure you are cool and have a video of some people barbecuing but it doesn't say why I need you to give me that.
The animated fence with the cool shadow "Creative" in the background is great graphics, but I can get a fence that looks like that for less somewhere else can't I? You don't tell me why I should buy that fence from you! A cool graphic alone doesn't sell.
(b) The main thing that worried me was your home page (with the chopped off buttons) took almost 25 seconds to fully load, and I bet I have faster Internet than 99.9% of the people here, using it all day every day I pay for premium "super-fast" business connections. Not bragging that just means ANY web site normally just "pops up" for me, no waiting at all. If it took that long for me it could take minutes for other people. You definitely need a better server/host if this morning they weren't having some unusual problems.
(c) Just an example, what I guess is the contact page (can't read the buttons) has cool rotating text I couldn't read without knowing what it said already, I guarantee my widowed 87 year-old mother (who surfs daily and can no longer do her own lawn which is larger than mine-your type potential customer it seems) could only see a blur...but worse, all this fancy-pants stuff for a way cool web site then smack in the middle of that page you use a @yahoo.com e-mail!!!
The most unprofessional thing you can do!
Why not info@creativelawncaresolutions.com or whatever? ANYTHING that ends in @creativelawncaresolutions.com

NO PROFESSIONAL business uses yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. if you have a web site and it doesn't have e-mail that ends in @yoursite.com then you just told the world you are not a professional company. No exceptions, no if, ands, or buts, that's a fact...get that fixed while you are getting the buttons and stuff fixed. ALL hosting comes with numerous @yoursite.com e-mail accounts at no extra charge.
Re: See a post I made in another thread about why "Image Is Everything" and a yahoo e-mail blows all the cool stuff on that site down the toilet even if everything else was fixed.

KCLandscape
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
What do you think...Kool... NOT...
I could use some ideas. I do not want to offer all of these services on the site, but rather keep the pages to a minimum, correct picture sizes, quick load time, a wat for prospects to get in touch and keep it as easy as possible to make a primary contact/ appointment. Make sense??

No hurry, but I liked your general preferences and would like to hear your view. This is a young industry that has a TON of people wanting to get on the web. For me, I have a very local base and don't need national exposure, but they are loyal and are getting on the web more by the day...young and old.

Thanks,
N

LawnGuy73
01-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I know 20 other companies that service that lawn!

LOL...Ouch

mdvaden
01-12-2007, 08:23 PM
LOL...Ouch

Are implying that when companies in an area are using the same template instead of original disigns, that homeowners will visit several sites and see the same home?

It never really came to mind until I read you comment - if that's what you were implying.

:)

goodgreen
01-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I know everybody thinks it's kind of basic. But I like the simplicity. Moving pics are nice. Did someone do it for you or is it a do-it-yourself?

AndyTblc
01-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Yah it looks basic and simple, I've seen some more creative, but they probly know more about it. I know I could do the same if not worse then what you did. And if you're happy with that design go with it, just add little by little once you learn how, and if you feel the need to.

poolboy
01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Topsites,

Not to start a war here about quality; but if you suggest that the two crap sites listed under your signature are examples of your work….buddy you need to practice what you preach. You maybe an expert in code and you have openly criticized my site before…thepoolmedic.net. But if you’re claiming that http://stonypointlawncare.com/ & http://atopqualitysite.com/ are examples of your work then you might clean up your own back yard, first!