PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle a bid like this????

Jon99
02-12-2005, 09:25 AM
I get a call from a developer, looking for someone to mow their model homes, says there are 5 of them next to each other, would I be interested??.. I said absolutely, would be over the next day and would fax him the bid... Went over last night, problem is, two of them are completed with sod in the front, dirt in the back.. The other two are just about done, but no grass at all and the 5th one just had its foundation poured...

I normally get $30 for yards these size in that area... Do I go $30, or knock it down??? Feel like its about a 2 hour job, could make money at $100...

muddstopper
02-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I think I would keep in mind that eventually they will probably be grass all the way around al the homes and maybe even some landscaping to content with. You might discount your work now and have to bite the bullet later.

Jon99
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I bid it assuming it will be seeded here fairly shortly....

sc8per_7
02-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Call the developer back and ask to see the plans of homes, don't second guess..
I have learned in years of Mowing/Landscaping, second guesses have cost me money. Just trying to help out in my mistakes I have made along the way, it would'nt take that much time to visit with your prospective client. This would show him/her that you are thorough in your work. Little things, leave a big impression, and little things lead to bigger things if done right..

Blessing on your bid proposal, Art

CNE
02-12-2005, 08:26 PM
You said you normally got $30 for yards that size, did you mean the whole yard complete or what he has planted so far? If you meant the whole yard, I would bid it assuming there will be grass in the entire yard. Now, if they are side by side, I would give a little discount if needed to get the work. You won't be loading and unloading, driving somewhere else, etc. I would cut him a deal on all of them. Keep in mind, do a great job and you will get more business in the neighborhood. If I have a customer in a subdivision and can get some more in the same area, especially side by side, I will discount a little. Simple math, no moving trailer and truck, no time loading and unloading, no gas being used in the truck between jobs, it adds up.

specialtylc
02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
If the builders there are like the ones here, they will only do the front yard. The back will be up to the home buyers.

treemeat
02-13-2005, 01:47 AM
If it was me I'd bid it as though one lawn was free, or $120 total. Most likely he wants them looking tip-top. If he doesn't say go ahead at $120, then find out what he had in mind for a fair price. Its easier to lower than to raise a price. . .

Rougher83
02-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Initially you might want to give him a break because there are several properties within close proximity...so you'll save some windshield time...fuel and so on. One thing to consider however...is that these guys want to keep their investment in these spec/model homes to a minimum...and after about 90 or 120 days they try to move these pieces of property and usually build other spec/model homes. Now if you provide him with good service he will likely want to stay with you for any additional properties he has or will have in the future. I guess what I am trying to say is...unless this guy moves alot of product(properties) he may only have 1 or 2 models at any given time. I know you said he has 4 of 5 now...but you need to be thinking down the road. If you drop your price for the ones he has now...and in 2 or 3 months find yourself only taking care of a couple of properties...then I would say you are hurting yourself. I would seriously feel this guy out and find out what he envisions in 2 or 3 months as far as the number of properties he would have you taking care of....and set your prices accordingly.

CNE
02-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I agree with Rougher, explain to him the discount on these 5 and let him know if he can keep you busy with others, you will do the same. Keep in mind, even if there are several in one subdivision and you have to move equipment, you still save drive time and you can just run the stuff on the trailer and move without spending tie-down, and pack up time. I would give him a per house price for all in one s-division.

bottlefed89
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I'd also make sure the frequency of mowing is agreed upon before you bid. The builders who use me will not mow every week, or even every time it needs it, so I have to go a little high since it's not a weekly account.