PDA

View Full Version : Truck Insurance

firstclass1
02-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Hello, Got a question i have 95 chevy Z-71 which i have "personal" auto insurance full coverage on it. I drive it daily plus for doing my landscaping business. The truck is fully letterd on the doors and tailgate. Do i need to get commercial auto insurance, now that i letterd the vechicle with my business name? If i get in a accident eill my personal auto insurance cover it ? Their is a big price differance when i called about the two. Any comments will be great.. Thanks :cool2:

lawnman_scott
02-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Do you think you could get a better awnser from a bunch of lawnguys all over the country, or a local insurance company? I would call the agent, you will get more sound advise there.

mmacsek
02-12-2005, 12:33 PM
To take the last post, lawnman scott, one step further check with different agents. The rates are different. State Farm charged alot more but I switched to Erie and the rates were less. It will be hard to get advice here because this is a local thing. Good luck. Matt

PLM-1
02-12-2005, 02:23 PM
If you have an accident with a "for hire" truck your personal insurance will deny your claim. Commercial vehicle insurance is quite a bit more expensive. The DOT doesn't like "personal" trucks pulling/operating for "commercial" use. They see dollar signs when they stop you, MAJOR fines!

MOOSE
02-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Firstclass, Where are u from in Michigan. Me, Bloomfield Hills.. Check around for quotes. I go thru Nationwide but there is other good ones around. Look in the yellow pages, but make sure the agent your calling does Commercial Insurance.

And last but not least, Welcome.

Lots of good info here. Read on.

rodfather
02-12-2005, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=PLM-1]If you have an accident with a "for hire" truck your personal insurance will deny your claim. [QUOTE]

Exactly...as they say in ebonics, "ube f***ed!"

Darr57
02-12-2005, 02:57 PM
You didn't mention who your insurance carrier was, but I have State Farm for my 7 trucks they are all listed as "non-farm/utility vehicles" it is for small business. My rates are actually cheaper like this than if listed personally you just have to have your agent run a drivers report on any employees you have driving your vehicles.

sc8per_7
02-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Good Day,
Welcome Firstclass1, Add it to your Company insurance policy, "Small Business Policy", it is so much cheaper this way. And be ready if you have an accident, and not covered under your business, you could say good bye to your home, personal property ect, ect. If you are a Sole Proprietor, I would recommend going "LLC Business". protect yourself...

Popper357
04-12-2005, 04:11 PM
I would like to know what companies are being used for the best rates. My commercial vehicle policy through Amercian Family is $1900 a year and the best I can find. I have all of my DMV points, no tickets for years. Yikes, I want to add a motorcycle to my insurance it ouch,

I live in MO, BTW.

marko
04-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I canceled my personal truck insurance, got 1,000,000 coverage, my spraying insurance, and equipment for the same price as I was paying just for auto insurance. It pays to check with the independant agents!

rodfather
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I use a broker who can write policies for many insurance carriers. In fact, I have one carrier for liability, one for trucks and trailers, and a third for WC...all done through him. The other nice thing is he's always on the lookout for better deals for us.

Popper357
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Stop, I don't know what to do. I've heard about that type of agent/ whatever, that gets you the best deals and no luck finding one so far.Ahhhgg I may have found one by calling names in the "insurance consultants" section of the yellow pages tonight. But he only does this and that, etc. It's tuff

Good to hear some are successful with insurance rates; gives me hope! This stuff is on my to-do for tom. now that the workday is over.

I've already been quoted 900 and 500 a year on the same motorcycle and minumum coverage. Insurance is pain in the ass

I've always been convinced it's important to have everything insured. My bro doesn't have insurance on his bike, just some fake ins. card. What a bad dream that would be if he gets in a wreck, that stuff is serious.