PDA

View Full Version : Adding to my web site..

ksland
02-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I have some more pictures to add in to my site. While doing so I was going to add some more features, or make some changes of some type.

I was hoping you all can give me some suggestions.

I was thinking of linking each pic to the full size image so people can see more detail. I might have to make the pics that are on there now a little smaller for load time.

Anything else?

http://www.kandslandscape.com

CNYScapes
02-12-2005, 07:23 PM
I dont have any suggestions, but I think it looks great! Im having mine done now and I hope it comes out that good.

ritchiem
02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Is it me or is every link I click on, opens a new browser window? If so you should change that. Also, good idea on thumbnailing your images and open them in a window. It lowers load time and visitors can pick and chose which photos to load for a closer look.

ksland
02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I was told to make it so it opens a new window each time. I forgot where I read it but it is suppose to draw the viewer in some.

ritchiem
02-13-2005, 12:57 AM
I went on your site again, and started clicking for info, and when I was done, I had to close 13 pages. whoever told you that was a good idea, probably invented the popup. A website should be contained to one browser window not including photo viewer windows, advertising or external links.

ksland
02-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Just curious, why?

Is it just the annoyance?

Keep in mind, My intent is not to argue, I am glad you responded to the post.

Thanks!

ksland
02-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Actually don't respond to that, I just clicked around a bunch and got aggrevated that I had to close 80 million windows when I was done.

I will fix that, any other ideas?

tonygreek
02-13-2005, 03:40 PM
it seems you answered for yourself why it's not good to pop windows for every new page. not sure where you read it, but i'd love to see the source for that insight. in all of my years as a bonified web dork, i've never heard anything close to that. the only typical time it's good to use pop windows for navigational issues is when you have a link to a site outside of your own, so that you don't lose them from your own.

do you have a solid marketing plan in order to drive prospective customers to your site?

tony

ksland
02-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Yes, The site has been up for 2 years now. The address is on my bills, business cards, newspaper ads, truck lettering, bills.....etc.

ritchiem
02-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Much better ksland,

Have you done much in the way of javascript? I have a neat little code you can insert so your pics only popup in a small window. Like on our site here (http://landmarkdesign.on.ca) just click on any of the pics and you will see what I mean.

ritchiem
02-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Also, it is interesting on why you chose to put your navigation menu on the bottom of your screen. Some people may not know to scroll down to look for it. Websites are suppose to be easy to navigate. Perhaps think of a new interface or add a menu system on the top of your scrren as well, or add breadcrumbs to the top of your page.

ksland
02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
It takes javascript to do that? My pictures are larger than yours so they don't look too bad opening in a window and not filling the space. I suppose that would be cool, but more interested in main design issues like what you say about the navigation. I agree, I made most of the pages first before the index or I would have carried the navigation menu into all the pages. I never really relized it until now, thank you. Also do you mind if I copy your idea of having your company info text under the text links at the bottom of each page? Thanks for the ideas, and if you don't mind I sure would like that script for the picture popup. Thanks again.

ritchiem
02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
here is the java

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
function openWin(sURL) {
myWin=open(sURL, "displayWindow", "width=430,height=298,status=no,toolbar=no, menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no");
if (window.myWin && window.focus) myWin.focus();
}
</script>

and you need to make a folder called "winpop" and store your larger images in there. Then you need to link each of your thumbnails to

javascript:openWin('winpop/imagename.jpg')

you can change the windo size and other options as you see fit.

Of course you can put your company info under your pages, I don't own that idea.

ritchiem
02-14-2005, 10:22 PM
well that did not work. You can get the java code from our website, by viewing the source.

ksland
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Bump

Still looking for some more opinions?

It is very rare that I am in HTML mode and actually want to attempt messing with websites, I am sure it will not last long, LOL.