PDA

View Full Version : put price on flyers or not?

Jusmowin
02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Im trying to put together a new flyer for this upcomming season and was wondering If for example I put (0 to 5000sqft $20.00) in other words list my prices for mowing. OR is this is a better way of attracting more clients than just saying "best prices around or afforadable rates". Im trying to go from 28 to around 50 to 60 weekly mowing clients a week and am having some problems trying to put together a "eye catching" flyer to get the calls rolling in? Yes I do intend to low ball a little to get the calls in for mowing but my mulch and other service prices have gone up some from last year. SO, my question still stands is it better to list prices or just use a "afforadable rates" phrase. Tell me what yall think?

Anthony Orlando
02-12-2005, 08:26 PM
I think your idea of lowballing is the reason that all nthe summer work has pathetic rates. All the guys looking to expand ie. lowballing)end up hurting the guy trying to run a profitable above board business.Do the job right and charge a FAIR rate!

KINGjosh
02-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Well if your lowballin, you might as well let the customer know about it, so you should probably put the price on it.

Maybe instead of actually lowballin, you might want to just put lowball prices on your fliers, then at the bottom of the flier put, "prices vary" then you could charge accordingly.

yamadooski
02-12-2005, 10:27 PM
I wouldnt put the price on there. What happens you get someone that has a slughtly larger yard than what your flier says? What he will do is ask for the flier price and you might give in and say yes, just so you can grow your business this summer.
Then half way through the summer you will be kicking yourself in the head wishing you didnt lowball the price or stood up to him and say "no it needs to be more for the size yard you have".
All our lowballers here put the price on the fliers.
I just took a flier off a door at my customers house this week and its said.
"Full service lawns 50.00 a month"
What does full service here mean? mow, trim, edge, blow, maintain weeds, shrubs, palms and trees. We do this every week.

Anthony-MB
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
5,000 sq ft is less than 1/8 acre

$20 in my area it is resonable rate for a 1/8 acre lot

1/4 acre averages $30

kdbetters
02-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I think that if in your area you are handing these fliers out, if 90% of the propsective clients have similiar lot sizes, then it will not hurt for you to have your prices on them. However it should include exactly what the service is for, and also that prices could vary. (just protects yourself). Also, give them some type of incentive for signing up. I personally think it takes the guess work out of the customer, its almost like you already gave them an estimate. No need to go back out for another estimate, can save you time, which is money.

Jusmowin
02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
KBbetters you have hit the nail on the head, and yes I will include "prices vary" on my flyer. Im really trying to stay in 3 specific areas not more than 3 to 5 miles away from my house that way my travel time is next to nill. I also am trying for multi houses in a row, that way I only have to unload a few times a day. As for the prices around my area they vary quit a bit and a 5000sqft yard if I had anouther yard close I would do it for a little cheaper.

gogetter
02-13-2005, 12:38 PM
As for the prices around my area they vary quit a bit and a 5000sqft yard if I had anouther yard close I would do it for a little cheaper.

Why? What if you lose the regular priced lawn, then you're stuck with the lower priced lawn. You're not thinking down the line.

And why lowball to get work? Just give the price that you think the work is worth. If anything, just put out more flyers.

If this is just a little side hobby that you're doing for kicks, then lowball all you want. But if you're serious about owning a successful business and expect to be in this for the long haul, then I think you'll be making a grave mistake!

Think about it! Why take on 50-60 lawns at a lower price, when you can do 40-45 at a higher price? Take in the same amount of money, but do a LOT less work.
Work smarter, not harder.
The lowballing thing to get a ton of customers just makes no sense to me.

scraper69
02-13-2005, 01:49 PM
5000sq ft = $50 minimum ($20 bucks) I wouldnt edge that property for 20

walker-talker
02-13-2005, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't put a price on there unless you have walked the property and KNOW that is what you can do it for. I have a 5000 sq ft lawn that takes me just as long as a 15,000 sq ft lawn.

turfsurfer
02-13-2005, 05:39 PM
This is my reason for not putting prices on ads: if you put prices on there, then you are basically advertising your price, which they can then use to attract the lowballers into beating you for the job. If you leave the price off and they contact you, then you can sell your services and professional image and "oh, by the way, this is the price". While I don't hesitate to discuss price with a customer, I don't advertise it on flyers because it will generally be a little higher and therefore chase away potential customers I might have had if I get to talk to them and explain value over just price.

tinman
02-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Why? What if you lose the regular priced lawn, then you're stuck with the lower priced lawn. You're not thinking down the line.

And why lowball to get work? Just give the price that you think the work is worth. If anything, just put out more flyers.

If this is just a little side hobby that you're doing for kicks, then lowball all you want. But if you're serious about owning a successful business and expect to be in this for the long haul, then I think you'll be making a grave mistake!

Think about it! Why take on 50-60 lawns at a lower price, when you can do 40-45 at a higher price? Take in the same amount of money, but do a LOT less work.
Work smarter, not harder.
The lowballing thing to get a ton of customers just makes no sense to me.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Profits are not made on penny pinching clients. All you'll be doing is moving money around...from clients hand to yours (breifly) then to the gas stations, repair man, etc. Charge a fair price fo both parties, but don't low ball & hurt your biz & everyone elses. Good luck

MYS
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
I put my prices on it. I think I am still going to do it this year. I am also raising my prices. But if some scrub wants to go offer a lower price let them. If they get it and the client seas how poor their work is they will call back. If they dont they do not care about there lawn.

avengr13@comcast.net
02-13-2005, 08:34 PM
And beleive me, as someone in business for many years, people can and do compare prices. We had 2 family members that were given different prices in different situations and at least a year apart. The second family member felt that she had been cheated because her mother got a better rate than she did...1 YEAR LATER. Make sure that they know their quote is theirs alone due to lot, situation, time etc.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-14-2005, 01:04 AM
5000sq ft = $50 minimum ($20 bucks) I wouldnt edge that property for 20

just what area of michigan are you getting $50 for a 5k lot?....just curious what your location is

twins_lawn_care
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Maybe a little off question, but since you have around 25 clients not, and want to double it, maybe you can market towards the clients you have already, and try to get each one to add a neighbor or friend. This would cut down on drive time, increasing profits. Plus, it would usually get a better response since they'd be talking to the clients for you in a positive way.
Offering maybe a free cut or 2 for each new client they refer you to.
just an idea that may help out in addition to your flyers.
I have noticed, and continue to notice, lots of customers will stay loyal based on not only your quality of work, but your personalism associated with your business, which I think has been our #1 selling point.

DiscoveryLawn
02-14-2005, 10:38 AM
When I started my first LCO in 1993 I put my mowing price on all of my flyers. That first year I had 65 clients by the end of May. The second year I raised my prices. Got very few responses with the higher price on the flyer.

The reason people responded to my ad with the price was because I was a low-baller. They told everyone they new about me because I was cheap and did outstanding work. I realized I was not making much money so I raised my prices and continued to put them on my flyers.

Now on the flip side of that. I know a guy that just (re)started his company last JULY and put his price on his b/w flyer and ended the year with 90+ accounts. I happen to know his prices and he is average ...go figure.

David

Jusmowin
02-14-2005, 06:33 PM
There is anouther reason I was thinking of low balling the mowing ennd and getting lots of clients was to get the "other" work involved such as aeration and seeding, mulch and fert apps as other people have said before mowing is the primary income make and the "other" sevices are extra money.

DigitalSpy
02-14-2005, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't put a price on there unless you have walked the property and KNOW that is what you can do it for. I have a 5000 sq ft lawn that takes me just as long as a 15,000 sq ft lawn.

I agree with that as well but if it's at all possible I believe that prices up front go a long way. It helps weeds out the cheepos. (no pun intended :p ) It also makes some potential customers think, "Hey! I can afford that!"

Team Gopher
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi Jusmowin,

You could also write in a price per lawn as you hand them out.