PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Toyota/Nissan trucks?

upidstay
02-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if anybody out there was using the new Toyota or Nissan full-size trucks. I have heard good things from them from guys who bought them as toys. (you, the only time they haul is garbage to the dump on weekends) I have had toyota and nissan cars, and they just go and go. But don't know how they stand up to daily trailer hauling, plowing, etc.

procut
02-13-2005, 04:25 PM
I would like very much to buy a Toyota Tundra, I have heard/read many good things about them. The reason I keep from buying is that I live/work in a big GM town, and I know some current/potential customers would frown upon my use of a foregin truck.

LB1234
02-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I would like very much to buy a Toyota Tundra, I have heard/read many good things about them. The reason I keep from buying is that I live/work in a big GM town, and I know some current/potential customers would frown upon my use of a foregin truck.

What would they say about all your lawn equipment?

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 07:27 AM
i run Nissan TRUCK'S and i love them ,we use them for towing a lot overhere ,even though they only have 2.5 ltr and 3.0 ltr engines they are legally allowed to tow 3.5 ton ,i tow this weight often ,theses truck's pull with ease ,i can't understand why all you guy's in the USA think you need big 5ltr + engines to tow 3-4 ton

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Nissan Cabstar Cab Over Engine 3.5 Ton Gvw

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Hers Our Latest Truck Isuzu Nkr 3.0 Ltr Turbo Intercooled ,[all The Above Are Turbo Intercooled]

yamadooski
02-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey buy American!!!
Stop buying foriegn CRAP.

dbear
02-14-2005, 08:12 AM
My genuine-made-in-america Ford F350 was made in Mexico! My last two Ford vehicles came from Canada. To avoid import tariffs and taxes, many "imports" like Toyota, Honda, Nissan...are now made (aka assembled) in US factories using US personnel. So you tell me, which is considered "made in the US"?

Same applies to heavy equipment: About 10 years ago, my bro-in-law who worked for village highway was tasked with finding a new excavator. Hunt came down to JD and Komatsu based on specs and price. The JD was made in Canada, and the Komatsu was made in Indiana(?, might have the wrong mid-west state). Don't remember for sure which he went with, but I think it was the Komatsu (better price, equal or slightly better specs).

TURF DOCTOR
02-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Nissan trucks are made buy american workers

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Very helpful and informative statement from "YAMADOOSKI".......

Buy what you want.......find the best value for you......

As soon as Toyota comes out with a Disesel 3/4 ton I will buy it.......Right now I use my 96' 4Runner.....not the best vehicle for lawncare....but it is paid for and very dependable.

Derek

Toy2
02-14-2005, 10:05 AM
I am using my Toyota Tacoma, 96/V6 to pull a 6 by 12 enclosed, it looks like it will work for now. But I know I will have to keep an eye on the transmission to make sure it doesn't't overheat, and end up getting a bigger truck like the Tundra with a V8.

I like Chevy's and Fords, but I can't beat the quality of Nissan or Toyota. Sorry!

My truck is still worth around 9grand, and its been paid off for a while, try that with a ford, unless its a diesel, it won't hold its value. :)

TURF DOCTOR
02-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Chevy duramax is the moter made by isuzu.

KCLandscape
02-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I have always ran Toyota. Just got a 04 double cab. Love it.
By the way, it was assembled in Indiana

LB1234
02-14-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd buy that foreign "crap" if they could tow our 6T dump trailer, place 2 Ton of stone in the rear, and place my western pro plow on the front. Soon as they build a 3/4T or bigger truck I'm getting rid of my "american made" truck.

Bought a '01 GMC Sierra. At 20kmi. the door lock mechanism falls off...went back three times to two different dealerships to fix it, around 35kmi. the plastic piece around the tailgate door handle falls off, around 50kmi. the damn seatbelt is squeking everytime you pull it and everytime I hit a bump in the truck and cause it move...annoying as all heck. Then the cake topper...at about 60k mi. the fuel gauge broke. I was on empty all the time. Had to clock mileage...well we all know you get different mileage when towing different trailers and what not.

Brother purchased an '02 GMC Sierra. 37kmi. the air condition goes. Dealership says you didn't purchase ext. warranty too bad you are 1000 past warranty. Wanted 1500 bucks to fix. At 50kmi. the driver side door elec. window switch goes. Not sure other minor things that happened to this truck.

Bought '04 Chevy Silverado Thanksgiving weekend in '03. At 18kmi. speedometer went. Dealership needed truck overnight to replace entire instrument panel/chip whatever. Just shortly after the damn handle falls off of the tailgate again...you would think they would fix this problem already. Oh ya, I forgot to mention...pulling our enclosed landscape trailer last fall (~19kmi.) the brake warning light comes on. Pull over restart truck and never see the signal again. Just read on internet how a lot of '04 chevy's will be recalled b/c of possible brake failures...won't be able to fix until summer '05. That's all I need pulling our trailer with 10 yards of mulch, the equipment in the bed going 50MPH down the road and can't stop at the red light.

Oh ya...did I forget to mention that ALL three trucks were recalled for the cable supports on the tailgate!! you are talking about a 4 year span!

And I don't want to hear from ford/dodge drivers...you have your problems as well...funny never hear anything about those foreign pieces of crap...

As to the original poster...you will be fine towing with a full size nissan or toyota. If I could, I sure the heck would. :cry:

Toy2
02-14-2005, 11:27 AM
On my 96, I have had to replace the tires once, then the battery. It has 56K for miles and of course do the routine oil changes, etc..The 1st set of Goodyear's went out around 32K and my replacements look good for another year.

No leaks, no broken handles, nothing. I wish I could beat them with American, but I can't. Toyota is building a plant down south from here in San Antonio to focus on nothing but trucks. 4 door Tundra is next on the list! :)

Smalltimer1
02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I am using my Toyota Tacoma, 96/V6 to pull a 6 by 12 enclosed, it looks like it will work for now. But I know I will have to keep an eye on the transmission to make sure it doesn't't overheat, and end up getting a bigger truck like the Tundra with a V8.

I like Chevy's and Fords, but I can't beat the quality of Nissan or Toyota. Sorry!

My truck is still worth around 9grand, and its been paid off for a while, try that with a ford, unless its a diesel, it won't hold its value. :)

The reason Fords don't hold value quite as well is because the market is flooded with them. Think about it, Ford sells over a million trucks a year. Toyota is lucky to see 300,000 go off the lot. But I'd be willing to bet that if the same level of PM was performed on a Ford and a Toyota, the Ford would last longer. I know a guy who has a '86 F-150 with the 300 I-6 and he offroads it hard. He changed oil in it one day and forgot to tighten the filter, and lost all his oil. He ran it for 5 days with NO oil. When he found out it was empty, he filled it back up and tightened the filter and kept on truckin'. This truck now as 340,000 miles on it, on original parts, except for a Hi-output distributor.

Foreign quality has gone down in recent years from what I've seen. Toyota has trouble typically with rearends. I know of several folks who have had to replace rears in them and in some cases transmissions as well. Nissan has had electrical issues recently.

My problem with Nissan is that they are owned by a French company (Renault) and well, I don't hold a very high opinion of French engineering. Renault is the only reason Nissan didn't go the way of the dodo bird.

JDeere Fan
02-14-2005, 03:51 PM
I am a LCO part time. I just got rid of my 01 Tacoma v6 with 90K miles on it. Not one problem with it. Just changed oil and tires. (shouldn't have gotten rid of it).

Just bought a new 05 Toyota Tundra with the V8 and 5 speed tranny. Love the power and the room. Hate the $$$ each month. Had to go with a toyota again do to the reliability factor. Plus they hold their value sooo much more! The truck tows 7100lbs. and doesn't even know my 6x12 loaded trailer even exists.

Toyota makes a great truck!

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 05:52 PM
small timer1 you sound just like all the old school ford owner's over here in-fact you sound just like my dad,now i have owned Ford's and Japanese truck's ,i would never ever even consider buying a ford again imo they are poorly built period!! i have had nothing but problem's with the new ford truck's that i have owned ,that's why i shall keep on buying the better engineered Japanese truck's until the day i die ,5 years a jap truck owner [3 truck's] not 1 single breakdown [drove a new ford home from the dealership started running on 3 cylander's :angry:] ...on a like for like basis a jap truck will do far more hassle free miles than a ford ...Renault may own NISSAN but the design is still done in japan......Mitsubishi truck's have been voted the best UK truck for over 6 years..and i bet Isuzu make twice the amount of engines ford does in a year..FACE IT JAP TRUCK'S ARE THE BEST :cool2: i wish i could praise FORD up this way but i simply can't :)

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
the only good thing about ford is the fact that there are alway's plenty of spare part's available for them..cuzz you need emm

Smalltimer1
02-14-2005, 06:06 PM
small timer1 you sound just like all the old school ford owner's over here in-fact you sound just like my dad,now i have owned Ford's and Japanese truck's ,i would never ever even consider buying a ford again imo they are poorly built period!! i have had nothing but problem's with the new ford truck's that i have owned ,that's why i shall keep on buying the better engineered Japanese truck's until the day i die ,5 years a jap truck owner [3 truck's] not 1 single breakdown [drove a new ford home from the dealership started running on 3 cylander's :angry:] ...on a like for like basis a jap truck will do far more hassle free miles than a ford ...Renault may own NISSAN but the design is still done in japan......Mitsubishi truck's have been voted the best UK truck for over 6 years..and i bet Isuzu make twice the amount of engines ford does in a year..FACE IT JAP TRUCK'S ARE THE BEST :cool2: i wish i could praise FORD up this way but i simply can't :)

We had a Toyota ONCE.....it turned into a rustbucket in 3 years from new and we live in the south???? What's up with that? Sold it for $1200 then.

My grandparents had another Toyota truck that broke the crank at 8,000 miles. What reliability and quality! They filed lemon law on it because Toyota said they abused it,( how can a 70 year old man abuse a truck??) and went back to a Chevy.

There's a reason 90% of tow trucks are Fords, because they are the most reliable in their field. Toyota doesn't have the balls to make a truck that heavy. Toyotas are high revving, low payload pretty boy trucks period. Ford did have quality issues in the past, but so did everyone else, (remember 20 years ago when a dealer would laugh you off the lot if you came up in a Dodge?) but they are over that now.

Toyotas are WAY WAY overrated. I've seen many Fords with well over 300,000 miles on them with no trouble, and even some with over 400,000. Sure a few Toyotas may have made it that far, but I'd be willing to bet more Fords have made it to 400,000. If I had a Toyota I'd be happy to see it make it 100,000 without rust or transmission problems.

My other grandfather kept his last Ford til 200,000 miles and sold it and bought a new F-150. Since then it's only had one sensor go bad on it.

Smalltimer1
02-14-2005, 06:07 PM
the only good thing about ford is the fact that there are alway's plenty of spare part's available for them..cuzz you need emm

My cutting torch comes in handy on Toyota trucks, since thats the only tool that will fix them for good. :angry: Toyota makes the most reliable trailer..... :D

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 06:18 PM
i agree with you the early jap truck's they were prown to rust problem's but not any more,I thought toyota did make some big truck's ,big dump truck's coe one's ,maybe im wrong ,i know isuzu and mitsubishi do and possibly nissan.......i bet 70% of cars and light truck's in Europe are japenese

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM
and like you say even after there dead they make great trailers ,what more do you want out of em :)

Smalltimer1
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Nissans are UD's I think.

Mitsubishi's make small cabovers.

Isuzu's also make small and medium cabovers.

I thought most of the European trucks were Mercedes and Volvo spin-offs??

I haven't heard of a large Toyota truck bigger than the Tundra. I know they make forklifts.

LB1234
02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
There's a reason 90% of tow trucks are Fords, because they are the most reliable in their field. Toyota doesn't have the balls to make a truck that heavy. Toyotas are high revving, low payload pretty boy trucks period.

Actually, doesn't uncle sam have something to do with that...fact is if the US let the foreign manufacturers into the 3/4T and 1T pickup class than all the American auto makers would lose a significant amount of business. When they were authorized to go ahead with a full-size half ton they didn't due to shabby in sales did they? Put a hurtin on Chevy's, dodge, and ford. No denying that one.

There could be another reason why 90% of tow trucks are Fords...it would be embarrassing...you know...having a foreign car picking up all the ford cars on the side of the road...

Rollacosta
02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
unfortunatly VOLVO don't make small truck's i wish they did ,as for MERCEDES there only popular in the van range [courier vans long distance parcels etc],the cars and light truck's are way too exspensive for most Europeans though the build quality is fairly good ,though i have a friend who has bought a few lemon mercedes [gear box prob's after a few thousand miles usualy]...the most popular van and truck in the UK is the FORD Transit though i hate to admit it..id say 40% of light commercials overhere are ford transits followed by 30% jap vans and truck's followed by eropean made stuff ,VW, MERC, RENAULT,IVECO etc....just one thing don't get confussed with the FORDS YOUR USED TO ..the fords overhere are CR*P

Smalltimer1
02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Actually, doesn't uncle sam have something to do with that...fact is if the US let the foreign manufacturers into the 3/4T and 1T pickup class than all the American auto makers would lose a significant amount of business. When they were authorized to go ahead with a full-size half ton they didn't due to shabby in sales did they? Put a hurtin on Chevy's, dodge, and ford. No denying that one.

Typical Toy lover ideology. It's a government coverup!!!! :dizzy:

There could be another reason why 90% of tow trucks are Fords...it would be embarrassing...you know...having a foreign car picking up all the ford cars on the side of the road...

That's funny, I recall seeing plenty of Toys riding in on a FORD rollback.

Toyota has sold:

Toyota Tundra
112,484 +10.7% YTD
December 2004: 11,720
December 2003: 9,204

Ford:

Ford F-Series
939,511 +11.1% YTD
December 2004: 95,392
December 2003: 84,657

KCLandscape
02-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I was at the Western show last month and saw a COMMERCIAL DUMP made by Toyota. It was Sweet. Cant remember the name of it but if it was there, it is available.

KCLandscape
02-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Also, if you went to Japan, you would see toys being used in all sorts of commercial applications. Trash truck, Comm vehicles ect.. Just like hemp vs. the paper industry, they keep the lobbyists busy keeping that stuff out of the US

Randy Scott
02-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Any day somebody wants to hook their Toyota up to our 24' skid-steer trailer with all our attachments, skid-steer and the three pallets of sod that fit, and haul it down the freeway safely without the wind pushing you all over the road, or being able to safely stop the unit, I would probably buy one.

Park a "full-size" Tacoma or whatever truck they allegedly think is full size, next to our Ford trucks, and you'll see the overall size difference. Their full-size is small compared to a F series Ford.

Hey, I give the import trucks credit, they have some great quality in them, no doubt about it, but to sit here and think that what they currently have to offer against the Fords or Chevy's of today is comparable for the intended use, is a joke. Think what you want, when reality hits, you lose.

No doubt, it's probably only a matter of time before they are competing with the real trucks, it's just not happening yet. When it does, American built vehicles will suffer.

LB1234
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Ford:

Ford F-Series
939,511 +11.1% YTD
December 2003: 84,657[/QUOTE]

If you going to give numbers at least give the F150 number. Not 150, 250, & 350 combined numbers. You can't compare the tundra to the 250 or 350...its not in that class. At least compare as close to apples to apples as possible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... :sleeping:

Smalltimer1
02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Ford:

Ford F-Series
939,511 +11.1% YTD
December 2003: 84,657

If you going to give numbers at least give the F150 number. Not 150, 250, & 350 combined numbers. You can't compare the tundra to the 250 or 350...its not in that class. At least compare as close to apples to apples as possible.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... :sleeping:[/QUOTE]

That was the F-150 by itself. The F-250 and F-350 are listed separately.

They still outsell Chevy and GMC combined.

R&R LawnService
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I was at the Western show last month and saw a COMMERCIAL DUMP made by Toyota. It was Sweet. Cant remember the name of it but if it was there, it is available.

I believe it is called Hino (spelling)

KCLandscape
02-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Yea, Thats it...
http://www.hino.com/trucks/

proenterprises
02-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I have a 1994 nissan frontier xe v6. I bought it this past summer, it was my first vehicle. Its got about 114,000 miles on it, and its a great litte truck. It pulls my 4x8 trailer. Its got a few issues, but nothing major. Only 1 small rust spot on body, some surface rust on frame. Lots of power, can do 70mph fine. Its 4x4 which is great, and its got power. It was my first vehicle, so I would never complain, and for now, its a great daily driver and work truck.

KLLawn
02-20-2005, 05:27 AM
IMO I would shy away from a compact truck , like the Frontier or the Tacoma. Even though they are capable of towing 2-3 tons, the long term effects of the tow are known. Tranny , and engine failure are common with these smaller trucks. I've heard of too many .
Larger trucks were built for the bigger load. Tundra CAN pull a large trailer (I have a 21 ft. travel trailer). The Toyota tranny does hunt a bit for the right gears, though. I've had the 98 T100 , 2000 Tundra A cab, 2003 Tundra A cab and now the 2004 D Cab ( Just replaced the rear main seal!, WTH!? 5,000 miles??) Trucks break, no matter what the brand..