PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Bed Bumper Pull Trailers

Scag48
02-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey everyone. Just looking for some opinions on bumper pull trailers. We're really close to buying one to haul our skid steer and attachments. We're really leaning toward a tilt deck simply because they're easy to load. We're looking at new trailers with a 5' stationary deck that doesn't tilt and the 16 foot deck that does, so the total deck length would be 20 feet. The GVWR is 12,000, giving us about 9,000 pounds to work with. We have a flatbed gooseneck that is a really heavy duty trailer, but it sits so high off the ground that it is quite nerve racking, let alone dangerous unloading off a trailer that is about 3 feet off the ground down a pair of 12 inch wide ramps. Also, a tilt bed would allow us to load all the equipment with one person instead of having one person watch to make sure the machine doesn't slide off the ramps while backing up the beavertail on our gooseneck. So who has opinions for and against tilt beds? Thanks guys!

Gravel Rat
02-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Its how most equipment here is hauled is on a tilt trailer they are bigger mind you they pack up to a 17 ton machine. There are tag along trailers with ramps and yes they are very dangerous because it only takes one wrong move and over you go.

The local rental shop had a accident where a staff member was delivering a 6000 mini excavator on a regular car trailer. He put the ramps on the trailer but didn't block the back of the trailer. Started to walk the excavator off the trailer the weight see sawed on the rear axle of the trailer and lifted the rear wheels of the F-550 off the ground. The truck started to roll away and the excavator flipped on its side.

A tilt trailer is so much safer because the machine has a 7' wide surface to travel up on. You can back off the trailer blind without the fear of falling off ramps or backing on a trailer blind the same thing.

I wouldn't own a trailer that didn't have a tilting deck it makes loading and unloading so much easier.

Scag48
02-13-2005, 09:25 PM
I agree with you, much safer. For folks transporting larger excavators a tilt is the only way to go. Keep those opinions coming! The price difference between a comprarably rated tilt vs. a ramp trailer is about $1,000, if not more for a tilt.

TerraFirma Excavating
02-13-2005, 11:23 PM
The only downside to having a tilt trailer would be trouble hauling multiple attachments for my skidsteer. A friend of mine borrowed one of my buckets and needed to haul 2 buckets (one attached to his machine) on his tilt trailer. The entire bed tilted and it was quite the goat roping to get it and his machine loaded.

I can't imagine trying to haul the amount of attachments I haul on a tiltbed, even with 5' of stationary deck. I normally haul two 74" buckets, a set of forks, and my rooter bucket. It gets even more complicated when I haul take my Brushcat. The tilt trailer does offer better load angles than ramps do, so does offer much easier loading with low ground clearance machines.

BTW, what type of machine are you planning on hauling on the tilt trailer?

Scag48
02-14-2005, 12:04 AM
We plan on hauling a Cat 216. With a 5 foot stationary in front, we can fit our Harley rake and our pair of forks. Then attached to the machine would be our trencher. The only attachment we can't fit on the trailer is the bucket, which we can bring to the job on our smaller "tools" trailer that carries all of the shovels and such. A trailer that hauls all of our attachments and skid steer would be upwards of 25 feet long and we just can't get something that big, so we'll just deal with what we can get.

ksss
02-14-2005, 02:17 AM
I don't currently have a tilt deck, but I looked at a used one last week. It did not have a flat deck, all of it was tilt. That ended it right there. I haven't minded the ramps on the trailers I have, but a tilt deck would be a little more user friendly. Making sure that your attachments would fit on the 5' flat deck would be the biggest issue that I could think of. It would suck having them slide down the deck with you as you back your SSL off the trailer.

D Felix
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the tilt deck trailers sit lower than regular ramp trailers. This can cause the rear to drag in some situations.

Also if you ever need to load/unload with one side of the trailer on the road, and the other on the shoulder, you could end up with some problems since the center of the trailer will be carrying the load.

In my experience, for a skidsteer with bucket, forks and a 36" auger, a 20' trailer is WAY too long. 16' is probably ideal. I'd rather have a low-profile ramp trailer than a tilt-deck. Check into Cronkhite's; they are good trailers for SSL's.

Dan

1bsman
02-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow! The mini-x lifted the rear on an F550? My ramps are 5' and have a leg. I can run up the trailer without the wheels chocked or it attached to the truck. The most that happens is the trailer rolls forward slightly. With the wheels chocked or the breakaway pin pulled the trailer won't budge. Is this the exception, or am I on borrowed time?

Scag, look at the features available for the tilt bed. Some are gravity only, some are gravity with an absorber to ease the drop. I would look for one with a power up and power down. Its not as quick but may be more versatile. For example, if you use the trailer for materials it will be easier to power tilt up and pull off a pallet of pavers. Otherwise, if the load is too far forward the bed may not pivot on a gravity model. If its a dedicated SSL trailer and you typically work alone, gravity tilt might prove safer.

Scag48
02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Well we bit the bullet today and ordered a trailer made by Inter West. They are a smaller, well known trailer manufacturer here out in the west that can build us a trailer in 2 weeks. Their trailers are all pre-designed and all they need to know is which model we want and they can have it to us in 2 weeks. Ended up getting the 16 foot tilting deck and 4 foot stationary, making the total deck space 20 feet. 7,000 pound drop leg jack, LED lighting, full DOT stripe tape, hydraulic cushioning cylinder, and a 12,000 pound rating all for $5200. More than we wanted to spend for a trailer, but much cheaper than a comparably rated Trailmax that we were quoted $6800 for. The design of ours is much like this trailer built by Felling, in which the tilting deck has a frame of it's own and tilts inside the outer frame of the trailer. This Felling is shown with a 5 or 6 foot stationary deck, which is incredible, not many folks will offer a 5 foot stationary front. Thanks for the help guys.