PDA

View Full Version : buying Cat 257 at Auction tomorrow 2/15!!

vntgrcr
02-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi All, just joined this site and really enjoy all of the info. I am currently in Florida on vacation and on the way in from the Orlando airport noticed a huge yard with excavation equip. as far as the eye could see. Of course I had to stop on the way to Disney a couple of days later and there is the machine I was seriously considering jumping up to from my Bobcat 843. It is a 2003 Cat 257 track loader. What a sweet machine. So after scouring this site for info comparing machines I have decided to delay my departure back up north so that I can go to the auction tomorrow morning and hopefully buy this machine. By the way, there are 3 Cat's, 4 Bobcat's that are track machines, 8-10ASV and then probably 40-50 other rubber tire SSL. This place is the "Mecca" of machines if you are into them! But to my question, is it safe to buy from a auction? I have checked the machines out to the best of my ability, resources and it seems fine. Also there is a 247 there that if the 257's get to be too much $$$ I may consider. Even though it may be a little light for what I want. This is with Ritchie Bros auction, they have them all over the world and trade on the NYSE, so they must be reputable. Just looking for opinions. I will be there in the AM with my check anyway and hope to have a new toy.
Thanks
David

PLM-1
02-14-2005, 09:23 PM
how you gonna get it home? drive it?..hope it's a two speed! No seriously how are you? Shipping is very expensive! Good Luck!

vntgrcr
02-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Well the Ritchie Bros auction was entertaining if nothing else. The Track Loader that I kind of had my heart set on went for $5K more than I was ready to pay. It went for $25K. They just sold one last Oct for $20K. Auctions are very fickle. Junk Bobcat 743's went for $5K. I think $25 was still a decent price, just more than I was ready to spend spontaneously.
As far as shipping goes, they had a tent set up with all kinds of shipping companies giving quotes one right after the other. If you ever get a chance to go to one of their "shows", definitely do it. A first class operation. So I continue to look and I will find one!
David

MowingisMaddness
02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I am planning on attending a Richie Bros. Auction in the near future. I have never been to one. Since you just attended your first do you have any advice for me? Do's and Don'ts? I plan to view the equipment a few days before the auction, but don't really know what to look for? Any advice about the auction would be great.

Thanks, aj

I am looking to buy a used skid steer for my landscaping business. I figure anything that can lift at least 3000 lbs is the place to start...
Bobcat 873, New Holland 865, Case 85XT, Cat 252

vntgrcr
02-16-2005, 06:39 AM
MowingisMadness,
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! I scoured this site and it really helped me decide which model I wanted. Have you worked on skidsteers already? If so, you will be able to decide what features work best for you. I really have fallen in love with the pilot/hand controls. The nice thing I liked about the auction was I could jump from one machine to the next and try them out and compare back to back. Depending on how big the auction is your variety of machines could be really good or bad. I want to go the auction in Maryland in April, but they only have one skid steer listed right now. Just check all the websites out there for pricing info as well. Iron planet is really good as far as seeing what the market is doing. Check their past auction results. Ritchie has this same feature on their website. As far as mechanical inspections go,talk to freinds in the business, mechanics, and who ever else will answer all of your questions. Good luck and don't get caught up in the auction hysteria. I had a price limit for myself and I actually went over that by a couple of grand, but hence still didn't buy the machine. :( :cry:Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help if I can.
David