View Full Version : Getting rid of saplings

02-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I've got a job coming up in a couple of weeks where I've got to rid an area of several maple saplings, probably about an inch in diameter. Any thoughts on the best way to do so?

02-14-2005, 06:33 PM
brush hog will take them down and cut them up.

02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't own one, and I don't really want to rent one for just a few saplings. This is not a terribly big area, maybe 30x90, and there aren't that many saplings. Probably a dozen or so. I was thinking digging a little around them, them hit them below soil line with a chain saw, then filling the soil in. Then the area gets regular mowing and fert so nothing comes back.

02-14-2005, 07:25 PM
If you have to mow back over the area then the brush hog isn't going to work...you need to completely remove them. Your best bet...IMO...not knowing many specifics is to use a combination of shovels, pick-axes, and breaker bars. The heck with the chainsaw. Just dig around with pick-axe and then if they don't pop out with that use the breaker bar (make sure you have a sharp edge on it) with a good size lever...say a section of 6x6 or something as solid as that.

Eddie B
02-14-2005, 07:39 PM
After digging around the tree i'd use a tree pruner to cut the roots, lift the thing right out of there.

02-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I'll have it under control now. :cool: