PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of saplings

eruuska
02-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I've got a job coming up in a couple of weeks where I've got to rid an area of several maple saplings, probably about an inch in diameter. Any thoughts on the best way to do so?

LB1234
02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
brush hog will take them down and cut them up.

eruuska
02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
I don't own one, and I don't really want to rent one for just a few saplings. This is not a terribly big area, maybe 30x90, and there aren't that many saplings. Probably a dozen or so. I was thinking digging a little around them, them hit them below soil line with a chain saw, then filling the soil in. Then the area gets regular mowing and fert so nothing comes back.

LB1234
02-14-2005, 06:25 PM
If you have to mow back over the area then the brush hog isn't going to work...you need to completely remove them. Your best bet...IMO...not knowing many specifics is to use a combination of shovels, pick-axes, and breaker bars. The heck with the chainsaw. Just dig around with pick-axe and then if they don't pop out with that use the breaker bar (make sure you have a sharp edge on it) with a good size lever...say a section of 6x6 or something as solid as that.

Eddie B
02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
After digging around the tree i'd use a tree pruner to cut the roots, lift the thing right out of there.

eruuska
02-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I'll have it under control now. :cool: