PDA

View Full Version : school bid

gaulk
02-14-2005, 06:34 PM
just found out what the schools were paying last year to have 60 acres mowed. Now this is 5 different schools that make the total, it was being done for 625$ a week. I just can not figure this one out, i was going 2 bid it for 2,200 per week is their any true method 2 this madness?

ltlm
02-14-2005, 06:55 PM
we take care of 50 acre of school property. we do 2 middle schools one elem one high school --bus garage--two practice fields one foot ball field and track --four ball fields --two soccer fields and administration office. all for 3800. a week the foot ball field get cut three times a week.

JB1
02-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Bet $10.00 who ever is doing it last year will probably get outbid at that price.

Randy Scott
02-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Probably the local boy that lives at home, or the scum of the earth doing it for beer money. Either way, the low bid will always get it if they meet the bid spec criteria. I've done some school bids and they HAVE to take low bid. I can pretty much bet my left nut that I'll never be the low bid for anything.

meets1
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
We bid an area of around 40 acres of school.. They told us they want a "contractor" not summer help ruining there equipment etc.

So we bid, all of our equipment, $2450.00 / mow. They were going to take care of the football field and the two baseball fields.

Needless to say the guy with a 42" craftsman got the bid. He is mowing with that and the school's JD front mount. I keep track every month of the school's bill for lawn care, the highest it has ever been was around $2200 for the entire month. Figure that out!

The landscaper
02-14-2005, 09:40 PM
625 sounds insane. In my school district...I think the bid is around 32,000 for maybe 25, 26 cuts, and thats only the middle school and the high school and elem school are right next to eachother.

Turf Dancer
02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
I put in a bid for a school district that had a district office and 8 schools to do as well as 4 baseball fields, 2 soccer fields, 3 football fields for a total of 96 acres. This district was in 3 towns and would have required 32 weeks of mowing per year as well as 240 miles of travel per week. I bidded it at $56,000 for the year and I was told that I was way too high. They ended up hiring 3 maintenance people to do the mowing, one in each town at $11 per hour 32 hours per week each to do using the districts equipment. From what I found out I was over $15,000 higher than low bid. I can't figure out where some people get their bids ?

The landscaper
02-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Must be a hobby for someone in the area.

beransfixitinc
02-14-2005, 11:52 PM
I can't figure out where some people get their bids ?

It's easy, first, put a glove on your favorite hand, right or left, (it's easier cleanup this way) and then bend over forwards..... reach in and pull real hard.

Cobra Jock
02-15-2005, 12:05 AM
It's easy, first, put a glove on your favorite hand, right or left, (it's easier cleanup this way) and then bend over forwards..... reach in and pull real hard.

Butt Numbers! :dizzy:

gaulk
02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
very nice guys i don't feel so bad now. i just figure even if u have 2 pay guys minim wage, workmen's comp, taxes it still really does not make sense. i would just love 2 talk 2 the company and ask, how and then why.

Mack
02-17-2005, 06:01 AM
I was just wondering if any of you that does school properties has run into a problem with what time you can cut the grass. I have one that you can t mow while school is in session or while kids are outside. My question is that the only time it seems you can mow is the weekends. What about rain and when the teams are practicing on the fields, any help with this.

ltlm
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
that what our contract is like. we cut the ball fields when the kids arent on them . The stadium is fence in and locked we got keys so we can cut that.then when school is out we cut those.some times we can get a school done before school starts.so you start cutting at 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning.weve even cut some up till midnight since all cutters have lights. our first year we got the contract they waited untill the end off may to sub it out. we got hired on a friday. They said graduation is sunday at 1:00 have the whole high school property done for that. We left shop at five in morning started at 5:30 picking up trash and eging it all out and mulch it.Two guys started to cut at 7:00 am then started to rain at 10:30 am sat. Cut untill 1:00 pm pouring now so time to have lunch first break of day. Buy more rain gear put dry stough on hang wet up to dry nice to have in closed trailer. Every one feed and dry start cutting at 2:30 still raining finally stop raining at 7:pm sat finished cutting and sting trimming and blowing off walks at 12:45am sunday.we filled our 12 yard dump up 10 times that day. good thing th city let us use there dump site since it was school propety.we arived sunday morning at 7:30 am to start sweeping the parking lots and paintiing all curbs and stipe the lot. and a few other touch ups. This was the first cut of the year and clean up of 25 acres. we used the 4 wheeler and the 5 hp tow sweeper for sweepin lot and the lawn man did that stipe nice.

DeereHauler
02-17-2005, 08:57 PM
just my experience around here. when my brother and i first started out we bid a local school district. we got a few schools, and our numbers were low, but we really wanted the work. we didn't win them by much. the following year we were underbid by 2 bucks on each property. bids are public knowledge when they are part of a school anyway. i got a copy of that same paper to find out how much they beat us by, i also noticed there were no "big" lawn care co's on it . they were all bob smith, or john doe. just guys that wanted to make a few extra bucks, and they would get insurance real cheap too, cause it was required. well needless to say when we mowed we did a great job, didn't miss a thing, always cleaned up well, ever since then they got what they paid for. the guy who mows now drives his mower there, no trimmer, no blower, imagine the possibilities. also the high school, don't know the acreage, but 2 baseball fields, football practice field, 2 soccer fields, and a big school to go around. are you ready for this...........$270.00 a week. that will hardly cover gas anymore. with all 5 schools, i bet they don't total more than $800.00.
more companies are shutting down around here, a lot of those guys losing jobs are wanting to mow. the only thing keeping me a float is my quality of work, my equipment, and my insurance, so i can get commercial jobs.

so my rule of thumb for schools (as bad as it sounds) don't ever drop your price for a school, bid high, if you get it good, if not oh well.

Patriots
03-12-2005, 08:16 AM
$625 .... hell Forest Gump did it for free.

beransfixitinc
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
$625 .... hell Forest Gump did it for free.

Forest Gump was independantly wealthy and didn't need the money to live on.

Turf Dancer
03-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I will never bid another school or church again. The last school bid took me about 14 hours to do and the churches are PITA. They want it to look good and they want it done on Friday or Saturday only and they want it done for nothing or dirt cheap!