PDA

View Full Version : fuel additives?

Island Lawn
02-01-2001, 11:11 PM
Does anybody use anything such as fuel stabilizer.
I havent. I dont carry a lot of fuel and seem to go through it within a weeks here in the "off-season.
Do these type of products help keep the internals clean?

Any other types of fuel additives that y'all use?

Octane boost? LOL

morturf
02-02-2001, 01:32 PM
I run stabilizer through all my engines for the last few weeks of the season ( since i don't know when it will always end). Then I run them out of fuel except for the ones I will use. I keep stabilizer in the fuel for the winter just because of the infrequent use. I use Opti-2 Oil for my 2 cycles, it has stabilizer in it. I really like how it works for the 2 strokes.

My piston count for the business at last take was 92, whats yours? LOL

lawman
02-02-2001, 02:20 PM
I use the stablizer in the winter. It seems to work well for me so far.

mowerman90
02-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Being as how I'm located in Central Florida I run my equipment year round. But I do use "Sta-bil" in my 2 stroke equipment because of the fact that my chainsaw may sit for weeks at a time without being used. The stabilizer prevents the gas from forming varnish and clogging up the carb. In the spring you'll undoubtly get calls from homeowners saying that their mower won't start 'cause they let it sit all winter without draining the gas out.

plymouthvaliant73
02-02-2001, 06:45 PM
You don't need stabilizer if you use the fuel within a month.

If you do use a stabilizer check the label and your equipment manual. Some manufacturers specify not to use stabilizers made with isopropyl alcohol.

captdevo
02-03-2001, 10:43 AM
i use and recommend sta-bil, high octane fuel and high quality oil in 2-strokes. I've used Mercury Outboard 2-stroke oil for years and have not had any problems. Also, in the spring, i will use Mercury Outboard combustion chamber cleaner through all my 2-strokes, you would be amazed at the crap it cleans out.
hot plugs, high octane & good oil my wife says!!! LOL

Greenman2ooo
02-03-2001, 12:49 PM
I have a Sta-Bil story. I bought a brand new little wonder blower with 8 horse I/C engine at the end of 1999. I used it less than an hour in 99.

I added Sta-Bil to all of my equipment at the end of the season. The blower would not start in the Spring of 2000 for anything. I took it to the dealer and his verdict was bad gas!

I use Sea Foam and that is a good product. It actually does what the label tells you it does. I can't say the same for my experience with Sta-Bil.

morturf
02-04-2001, 05:41 PM
Greenman,
That is a good point about the Sea Foam. That is a great product. I usually run it through my engines at least once a month. I forgot about it. Recommend that everyone try some if they don't already, smooths out rough spots.

awm
02-04-2001, 05:50 PM
I just got back from surf had a whole bucket full.
By the time i got home it was all gone.go figure

Greenman2ooo
02-04-2001, 08:22 PM
amw-

Darn the luck! You are gonna have to go to the
West Coast. It MUST be Pacific sea foam.:)

Greenman2ooo