PDA

View Full Version : Is a 24 Honda underpowered for 60" deck?

Travis Followell
02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I realize that this has been talked about before but I thought I would ask again. We are going to buy an new mower next month hopefully and will be considering a Super Z 60". We're considering the 24 Honda and 27 Kohler and was just wondering how well the Honda would do with that size deck. Would I be better off to get the 27 Kohler or not? I'm a big Kohler fan but am starting to like those Honda's.

FrankenScagMachines
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Travis,
why do you have Ferris in your signature, always talk good about them and rave about the suspension, but when it comes down to actually doing it, your always using or buying something else? if your stuck with something else thats one thing, but when you are buying a new machine for what you could get a Ferris for, I don't understand you.....

jtkplc
02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
I have a 25HP Kaw. on my 260Z and there have been many times when I wished I had a little more power. The Honda would be fine until you get into heavy, taller grass. It's been said many times on here before, go with the higher HP engines, if you don't you'll wish you did.

green acres lawns
02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
24 hp is just about right for a 52" with mulch kit.

Travis Followell
02-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Travis,
why do you have Ferris in your signature, always talk good about them and rave about the suspension, but when it comes down to actually doing it, your always using or buying something else? if your stuck with something else thats one thing, but when you are buying a new machine for what you could get a Ferris for, I don't understand you.....
Well, no doubt about it Ferris is my favorite by far but the size machine we will be getting the Hustler super z is a whole lot less. Don't know how much as we have not got any prices but i'm sure since that $1500 Hustler rebate kicked in today a super z would definately be less than the IS3000 26 hp LC Ferris at $10,000 or 27 AC at $9,500. It won't be me buying the machine, it will be the man that I work for. He has a 2000 acre farm with his own private 90 acre 9 hole golf course. He has 2 guys that take care of that and 2 guys that take care of the grounds around the house while me and my dad take care of the farm. We have a very good dealer in town that has been open for just a little over a year and they are already the #1 Hustler dealer in KY and also recently took on ferris. We will be buying the machine from them if we get one. I don't know if the farm owner will go for that or not since the golf course and house guys will be hitting him up for a new mower also. We're gonna try to ask him first before the other guys do so hopefully he'll let us get that Ferris but in case he don't I want a cheaper alternative to present to him and that would be a super z.

General Grounds
02-14-2005, 09:26 PM
:blob3: i have a dixie with a 22hp kohler and never had any issues with it being underpowered. same goes for my bobcat with a 25 kohler, now that i think of it my 60" hydro walkbehind have never had a underpower issue. i dont get how you guys have problems with power with a 25 hp engine, maybe check those belts, or something. tony

FrankenScagMachines
02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Travis, sounds like the guy has enough money to spare approx. $10k for a lawn mower!

MYS
02-14-2005, 10:10 PM
How about one of those Dixie Chopper Alternate Power its 50hp.

Travis Followell
02-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Travis, sounds like the guy has enough money to spare approx. $10k for a lawn mower!
He does definately but its just getting him to let go of it.

Travis Followell
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
How about one of those Dixie Chopper Alternate Power its 50hp.
Well we don't have any dealers real close by and we just don't need a machine that big. The ground is too rough and uneven for a 72" deck.

RobertCT
02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Travis

I once listened to you when you approved of me buying a 52 tiger cub w/ honda 24 hp. when offered a deal on a 2004 left over for $6500. In turn, I agree with others who encourage you to by the Ferris. When you're choosing between the best in the business, get what you want when buying new. However, make your case with the boss on economics, reliability, and employee satisfaction with the equipment. On balance, it sounds like the Ferris meets these requirements. And, get the extra hp !

david
02-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a 27 Kohler with 60" deck on an Exmark. If you are going to be cutting higher grass better go with the 27. If the grass is kept low you may can get away with the 24. How about the 28efi this is the one I would get if I were getting new mower better gas mileage and you can never have too much power.

Travis Followell
02-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Went yesterday and priced a couple new Hustlers and a couple new Ferris's. What suprised me with the Hustlers was the Super Z 60' with 27 hp Kohler was $7,999 and with the 24 Honda it was $8,099. I thought that was kindah strange so if we have to go with Hustler it will definately have the Kohler 27.

If anyone is interested the Ferris's that we priced were the IS 3000 61" with the Kohler 27 was $8,999 and with the Kawasaki 26 LC was $9499 and other than the engine it also comes with Hercules spindles and will go 12 mph where the Kohler 27 machine will only go 10 mph and has the standard spindles.