PDA

View Full Version : Who brings the dog

turf9
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
We just bought a miniature pincher the plan is for him to ride with me in the truck .So far so good so far all the customers love him.Just wondering if any of you bring the zoo with you when you head out for the day.I was doing a bed clean up today and he just stuck with me the whole 2 hrs. Never thought I would become a dog person especially a small breed, but it happened.

Randy Scott
02-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I love our two dogs. Unfortunately, I don't feel it is very professional to bring any animal to a customers property.

turf9
02-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I love our two dogs. Unfortunately, I don't feel it is very professional to bring any animal to a customers property.

I expected this comment but not this quick lol. If they don't like rover I don't like them.I will have to put in my adds Dog freaks only please.

1MajorTom
02-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I guess it depends upon your business, some factors to consider.
I think a dog would definitely slow you down especially if you have to worry about him getting out of the truck, getting in the customers flower beds, etc.
Then the issue of the bathroom. If I was a customer, I wouldn't appreciate having a dog pee in my yard, maybe that's just me though.
If you have a lot of accounts like over 100, I just don't see how it is feasible to bring the dog along on a 10 hour day.
Now if you have only a few accounts each day, then maybe.....

rdran5
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
No, it is unprofessional, I guess someone will be asking, who brings their kids with them..
MY 2 cents...

KINGjosh
02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
I love dogs, but i dont think its a good idea to take them along on the property, maybe leave them in the truck, but that would get expensive with leaving the engine running all day with the A/C cranked.

Littleriver1
02-14-2005, 07:33 PM
May be that should be on the list to tell if your a scrub. 1 point if you bring the dog. 2 points if you bring the kids.

The C Man
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't bring my dog with me either, I just don't think it looks right, and ditto on the bathroom situation.

olderthandirt
02-14-2005, 08:01 PM
I bring mine often. He stays on the trailer. thats the way he was trained, and he does what he suppose to do and thats stop anyone from walking away with any tools. I don't worry about kids coming up to him because he won't bite trained to only growl and snarl, It took a lot of training and he's passed the police K9 test for obedience and NOT biting, just showing aggression if needed. When we stop to eat I'll let him out to take care of business if he needs to but he's went plenty of 10-12 hrs days with out having to go. He's also a hospital companion dog and has been to the local children hospital 4-5 times now. BTW he's a German Shepard with both parents working law enforcement. If the kids would listen as well as the dog they might get to go along someday. :D

Mac

dvmcmrhp52
02-14-2005, 08:17 PM
I was doing a bed clean up today and he just stuck with me the whole 2 hrs. Never thought I would become a dog person especially a small breed, but it happened.

Very unprofessional in my opinion.
But of course.........just my opinion...............

meets1
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I have siberian husky. I'll take him if were doing work out and away from everything else. I still tie her up with a 50 ft chain. I like it when she is with us, but with other guys, you loss time cuz there petting her etc. I think it is a good break for her to be outside the kennel and let her do a little roaming with a 50 ft radius.

When were mowing, especially in town, no way. To many distractions!

turf9
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mac for the back up

By the way I never asked for a sermon on what everyones idea of professional is . I just asked if any one else bring there dog. TAKE A PILL

crawdad
02-15-2005, 06:18 AM

By the way I never asked for a sermon on what everyones idea of professional is . I just asked if any one else bring there dog. TAKE A PILL

No, I wouldn't bring my dog to work with me. I wouldn't hire someone who brought their dog with them, either. No thanks on the pill.
Crawdad

SWD
02-15-2005, 06:54 AM
I have afemale pointing lab that goes almost everywhere, every day with me.
I have trained the dog for obedience, and she is actually a tax write off due to her training for use on golf courses.
As far as being professional or not, that is your opinion. Apparently it hasn't hurt sales any as I'm gross around $40K/month and it is steadily increasing.

ProSvcs
02-15-2005, 07:13 AM

turf9

IMO you are just looking for someone to quantify the fact that it is ok to take the dog.

I would never just answer NO, without giving reasons, nor would i want anyone else too.

These folks are trying to answer your question while at the same time answer in a way to help YOUR business. Please lose the attitude. If you dont want honest answers and reasoning, Dont Ask.

The folks on this board have been quite critical of the things I asked over the last couple of months, but i feel my business image is better because of it.

Now for the dog,

I take my dog on estimates. The dog never ever leaves the truck. Too many possibilities for liability as well as unhappy customers. he l l, if the dog walks in front of someone and they trip, it is your fault.

Most of my customers have pets (and they bark constantly if another animal is on the property, This is really annoying for the customers), but there is one lady that deathly allergic to the dander on animals coats.

Just remember, These people are paying you to provide a service (Hiring you, not the dog).

Maybe the biz name should reflect the fact that you bring you pet (Fido's Lawn Service)

Just my .02

geogunn
02-15-2005, 08:14 AM
I do.....when it is practical.

and what determines if it is practical depends on alot of things.

alot of my work is in rural settings where it isn't unusual at all to have a dog in a pickup truck.

when I don't bring her, people ask why not?

GEO :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26582

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-15-2005, 08:50 AM
I have a Rottweiler that I bring most places with me. I have a crew cab and his spot is the back seat, doesn't go anywhere, just sits there and watches. Friendly and can be approached, as many ppl do so I don't see a problem as he never gets out of the truck.

I also make quite a few stops during the day at my Laundromat business and most customers there seem to shame me when I don't have him with me lol.

olderthandirt
02-15-2005, 09:03 AM
:D I wouldn't hire someone who brought their dog with them, either

I thought you did this for a living, so why would you be looking to hire someone that does not bring there dog with them :D :D :D :D Dam Geo there's 1 less job you will ever get. Now if your talking about hiring empoyees that bring there dog, then thats against the americans with disability laws, and the feds will pop your pinchers off real fast for that :angel: But if that happens I have applications on my trailor just reach in and grab 1 :laugh: :laugh:

Mac

westwind
02-15-2005, 09:22 AM
my dog's job is in the woods not the truck!

crawdad
02-15-2005, 10:45 AM
:D

I thought you did this for a living, so why would you be looking to hire someone that does not bring there dog with them :D :D :D :D Dam Geo there's 1 less job you will ever get. Now if your talking about hiring empoyees that bring there dog, then thats against the americans with disability laws, and the feds will pop your pinchers off real fast for that :angel: But if that happens I have applications on my trailor just reach in and grab 1 :laugh: :laugh:

Mac

I wasn't talking about hiring a lawn boy, I bush-hog the Holler three times yearly.
If I hired someone as a contractor,say to do some excavation or something else that I don't do, and they get out of the truck with a dog, intending for it to run around my property, I wouldn't be happy. If they leave it in the truck all day, it wouldn't seem fair to the dog(depending on weather conditions). My dogs lounge in the house all day while I sweat.
Geo says he does it "when it's practical." So he doesn't do it all of the time. If I was to hire him to, say, bury a dead animal, he'd most likely leave his dog home, knowing that I have dogs and chickens.

So, you're saying the feds could make me hire a guy with a seeing eye dog, to run a mower? :cool: That'd be funny. :laugh:

Crawdad

westwind
02-15-2005, 11:47 AM
my dog's job is in the woods not in the truck.

geogunn
02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
my dog's job is in the woods not in the truck.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32976&stc=1

WW--your dog doesn't look very happy. you might ask if he'd like to go with you to work some day!

GEO :waving:

CharlieBingo
02-15-2005, 12:00 PM
I do whenever possible. Wether or not you know it your dog is your biggest fan and best friend!

procut
02-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Bringing a dog along seems like a tremendous liability. What if BY CHANCE, some one provoked the dog and it did bite/attack. Also, if the dog is not in the truck, I don't think many commercial clients would appreachiate their customers having to deal with dog.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I would not advocate the dog getting out at any clients property commercial or residental. If the dog is well trained, to have him sit in the back seat and watch is not an issue.

Now if your dog barks at anything and everything that goes by that's another story to. Inheritently, my dog does not just bark for the hell of it lol. He sits and watches, lays down, sleeps, watches, drinks some water and then at lunch time, he'll get let out for a pottie break and then back in. I don't bring him everyday but on nice days, window open, no issues.

turf9
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
I do whenever possible. Wether or not you know it your dog is your biggest fan and best friend!

C:\Documents and Settings\Darcy Hayes\My Documents\DSC00459.JPG

Exactly when it is possible for me to but it seems like I am a scrub that needs to work on his attitude. I hope this picture comes trough so you can see the vicious little beast i'm talking about.

CharlieBingo
02-17-2005, 09:29 PM
You guys have got me laughing with your professionalism. Having your dog with you does not make you unprofessional. It makes you compassionate. One the most respected doctors in N.Y. takes his dog with him to the hospital and the terminals love it. Ghandi said the "moral progress of a nation can be judged by how it treats it's animals".

turf9
02-17-2005, 09:58 PM
I see your point on someone triping over him.

meets1
02-17-2005, 11:04 PM
All seriousness aside, this dog thing is crazy.

Started out as a simple question and snowballed into being professional.

Its like is everyones truck and trailer washed daily to appear professional?

All equipment waxed and shining to appear professional?

Every rig that you may have is all lettered and graphics to appear professional

The list goes on and on.

I live in a rural area, I am one to have my dog ride in the back of truck if I am doing work at the shop. So all the farmers who have there dogs in the cab, in the tractor, ect are not being professional famers????

I realize we all have an image to uphold. Our name, business, etc is on the line, with a high visibality business as ours, but hey, lets have some fun already!

dvmcmrhp52
02-17-2005, 11:08 PM
All seriousness aside, this dog thing is crazy.

I realize we all have an image to uphold. Our name, business, etc is on the line, with a high visibality business as ours,

Bingo!
Lawnboy, business owner, or something in between, the choice is up to the individual.

westwind
02-18-2005, 09:15 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32976&stc=1

WW--your dog doesn't look very happy. you might ask if he'd like to go with you to work some day!

GEO :waving:

he's just mad because i took his bird! lol :gunsfirin :gunsfirin