PDA

View Full Version : Commercial bid ?

clncut
02-14-2005, 07:41 PM
This year we will be bidding more commercial properties. Most properties that I have spoken with want prices just for mowing and others services will be needed per request. My question is, when I turn in my bid should I include the price per cut x how many cuts. Or should I just give the total for season without the price per cut ect.

I think that if I only give the seasonal price that the customer may shy away due to the amount. If I give the amount per cut x how many cuts per year then they may want to bite at the offer due to the lower price they are seeing on the bid. What do you guys think. Thanks.

By the way, this is my first thread here, but I have been reading for quite some time. Great site I might add!

The landscaper
02-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I had a problem with comm last year. It seems like there is way to much competition and my bid were beat pretty bad...and mine were not overly high, I thought they were just average, I wanted to go higher.

I thought in the commercial market I could get away from so many lowballers, NOT TRUE.

clncut
02-14-2005, 09:54 PM
anyone else?

Collegiate
02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Lowballers gallor around my parts of VA. I put in a bid for 24 patio home complex in a great section of my county. I figure about 4 hours of work for a 3 man crew. I sent the bid and called back two days later to confirm the bid and to make sure he understood everything i put in it. He said the price of my bid was 5% higher than the next closet bid. I thought i was very fair and reasonable. I know my quality and i know the quality they are going to expect, but they want the lowest price possible for the highest amount of quality. I just apologized. What the hell do people expect from us, to give them the mowing free. I say bullshit.
But back to the question... when i submit any bid i give the breakdown per cut followed by the Total for the season where possible.

Green lawns
02-15-2005, 01:12 AM
We show the number of weeks in the season, the dollar amount per cut and the total amount for the season.

promower
02-15-2005, 01:21 AM
I give the price per cut but not the whole season. Big numbers scare people

GarPA
02-15-2005, 04:54 AM
we give them the price for the entire mowing season and then let them choose 8, 9, or 12 monthly billings. The 12 month option is only offered if they pay up to the current month and the final month (December) is the last invoice for the year

Turf Dancer
02-15-2005, 05:07 AM
I only offer a 12 month option unless they give me no other choice !

o-so-n-so
02-15-2005, 07:28 AM
I don't hide anything. I show # of cuts, price for each cut, annual total and payment break down. If that scares the client....they got the wrong LCO. Nothing hidden = getting paid on time every time.

I never win commercial "bids" though....so I guess my way could use some tweaking.

Turf Dancer
02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I give them the total for the year and the breakdown per month then if that scares them I break it down per week. If they are still up in the air about it then I resort to other things depending on what is in the agreement. Most of them have no problem with 12 months payment, even the ones that are mowing only.