PDA

View Full Version : Not using trailer. Choices?

Mclaughld
02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
I dont want to use a trailer. What are my options when it comes to trucks and modifying the bed. I'm only going to use 21' mowers so space shouldnt be a problem. Do people use flat bed trucks? What about something low to the ground, like a toyota? Where do you find racks to put on? Does anyone have a website that show this stuff?

dcondon
02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
If your not going to use a trailer then why not lift the mower in the back of the truck and throw the trimmers in???? :dizzy:

Mclaughld
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Yes i was planning on putting the mowers in back. I wanted to know about racks and things like that.

Petr51488
02-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Don't even waste your money on racks for a pickup.. buy a cheap 300.00 small trailer.. it will save you so much time and energy.. Just think, your going to have to lift this 21''er EVERY time you have to load and unload.. if you use ramps, itll be a pain to take up and take down every time.. Your better off with a trailer..

Scag48
02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
If you are dead set on using a pickup without a trailer, don't even bother with racks, there is no point. Just lift your mowers up into the bed and throw the trimmer and blower in the back of the bed as well. Personally, I think a trailer is the way to go but far be it for me to persuade you otherwise.

Mickhippy
02-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Only time I use a trailer is if there will be heaps of clippings to pick up or I'm using the rider. Other wise, I just cart the mower etc around on the ute.

Trailers give me the sh!ts around town!

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Only time I use a trailer is if there will be heaps of clippings to pick up or I'm using the rider. Other wise, I just cart the mower etc around on the ute.

Trailers give me the sh!ts around town!

What do you do with clipping when your not using your trailer? Just dump them in back? snt it hard on your back lifting and lowering that mower?

Tony Clifton
02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Sometimes there is no need for a trailer. Plus you have to have a place to park it, not everyone wants or is allowed to have a trailer in their driveway. Plus it could be a pain in cities etc. especially with parking.
People are saying it will be a pain to load/unload the mower or pickup the ramps everytime. HELLO! Do you not need to lift the trailer gate everytime?

nt1
02-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I've been considering doing the same thing for use during the middle of the summer. Our lot sizes are fairly small and we only use 21" mowers, probably just like many places in Cali. In the spring and fall a trailer is necessary for us because of all the extra bulk; hedge/tree trimmings, leaves, etc. In the summer though we mulch everything and all we need is 2 or 3 21" mowers, trimmers, and blowers most of the time.

You might try having a 5' to 8' gate fabricated to replace your tailgate and put trimmer trap racks on the sides in the stake pockets for trimmers/stick edgers, then put mowers in the bed with a couple of blowers. I think for that, a small truck would be best for the $ (less overhead) and easier to get equipment in and out of. You should look at JUSTMOWIT (a member here) for some pictures and ideas. His trucks have custom made flatbeds with small dovetails, racks, and storage boxes.

I would like to see some PICTURES or WEB SITES of alternatives to using a trailer as well!!

MJhnson Lawn
02-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I"ve used a trailer for the last 2 years but before that I used the bed
of my truck with some ramps that I still use from time to time.
I think the trailer is more convenient, I got tired of picking up my
push mower or driving my rider up the ramps.I think the older you get,
the trailer becomes more convenient.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
You might try having a 5' to 8' gate fabricated to replace your tailgate

I think your onto something here. If your using a medium sized truck that sits lower to the ground, the gate/ramp wouldnt even have to be very big.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Someone just put up a link to this site: http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

Ramps for your tailgate.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47591

This is more of a hydrolic type lift.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.usaramp.com/products/saferamps.shtml#specs

This looks like what we are talking about. Runs about $450

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Heres one that replaces your tailgate:
http://www.ramps-ramps-ramps.com/pick-up-truck-loading-ramps.htm
Runs about $950

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 03:58 PM
This oone slides out. Not sure how well it would work:
http://www.gatorramps.com/
Think it runs about $1000

Petr51488
02-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Why would you waste 400+ dollars on a lift. You can spend that kind of money and buy a good open trailer..

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:10 PM
You could also custom fab a flatbed. Seems a few places do this. I wonder if you could do this to a smaller truck like a dakota or ranger.
http://www.ingramtruckbody.com/html/lawn_care_bodies_2.html

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:11 PM
More examples

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:13 PM
This is a members truck naturescape. His has a electric winch which pulls the gate up.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:21 PM
This lift is freaking crazy. Only a REAL MAN could have a lift like this, haha.

http://www.xtralift.com/home.html

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
This site had a few different kinds of ramps. Not sure of the prices but looks low cost.
http://www.handyramp.com/index.html

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=52756&page=4&pp=10&highlight=abbreviated

Page 4 of that thread has more pictures of naturescapes winch and truck setup.

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 04:43 PM
And I found all of this by using the search button on this site. A wealth of information. :cool2:

JasonX
02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
JustMowIt uses these

His fleet http://www.justmowit.com/our_fleet.htm

Mclaughld
02-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Does the rear gate on justmow's truck touch the ground when it is opened? Or do you have to lift the mower off the ground?

gogetter
02-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Does the rear gate on justmow's truck touch the ground when it is opened? Or do you have to lift the mower off the ground?

I was just wondering the same thing. It doesn't look like it goes to the ground. And if that's the case, I have to wonder why not make it longer so that it does? This way, no lifting of mowers, less risk of injury claims, etc.

Lux Lawn
02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Not a bad little truck...Its small though but I bet it good on gas compared to the guzzlers I got.

nt1
02-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Mclaughld

Thanks for the photos!! And yes a wealth of information in the archives!

It appears as if JUSTMOWIT'S tail gates swing open left and right. Although with a 21" mower all you would have to do is pop a wheelie, pick up on the the back wheels with the handle bars and roll it in.

Any other Australians or other non-American trucks users out there have any PHOTOS of their trucks. I know you guys have alot of UTES out there. Americans are a bit spoiled when it comes to gas prices.

Mickhippy
02-16-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm just a one man show and only use one pushy, as little as possible! I use it 1 or 2 days a week so all I have are these two, about 4' long aluminium rails (shaped like ---> [ but laying flat)
Good thing about these ramps is that you can move them around.
I would however use longer ramps if I used full commercial 21ers. I made the ramps when I had a lower ute back in the day so they are a little short but still manageable.

Clippings, I try to leave them there if I can but have some big wool bail bags that I use. They fit up to approx 7 catchers full. They get heavy but when that happens, just drag them up the 2 little ramps.

Anthony-MB
02-16-2005, 02:58 AM
I like JustMowIt turck body, looks big enough for a 48" ztr
of course an 8ft ramp would be needed..

One thing I hate about ramps for trucks is they are so expensive
$1,000 for a ramp , heck I can buy a 5x8 trailer for $575 and it would include a 5 foot ramp

nt1
02-17-2005, 01:43 AM
I like the truck bodies on Justmowit's trucks as well.

That and others set ups having got me thinking about ways to SIMPLIFY the truck/trailer combo thing. Something like an NPR would be overkill for just residential maintenance, at least for just cutting.

Years ago when I started this business all the equipment went into the bed of a f150, then, a few trucks and trailers later, I am back to trying to put equipment into the bed of a truck, but this time maintaining a more professional appearence.

JustMowIt
02-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I like JustMowIt turck body, looks big enough for a 48" ztr
of course an 8ft ramp would be needed..

One thing I hate about ramps for trucks is they are so expensive
$1,000 for a ramp , heck I can buy a 5x8 trailer for $575 and it would include a 5 foot ramp

They may be big enough for ZTR, but the little truck will not handle it. Also, we trying a ramp & it is too heady, too far4 back on the truck.
MJ

nt1
02-20-2005, 11:44 AM
JUSTMOWIT

Do you know the approximate dry weight of your truck bodies?

What about aluminum ramp gates on the back of your trucks?

turfmgr
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
More examples

Just wondering about how much you spent on that setup and if you like it or would rather have an NPR??

nt1
02-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Does anyone else use flatbeds or truck bodies for compact trucks?

I have been searching yahoo & google for compact truck bodies but have not found anything yet. There has got to be other service companies that use them : delivery trucks, couriers, and .........

Anthony-MB
02-23-2005, 03:17 PM
nt1

ingramtruckbody.com (http://www.ingramtruckbody.com) - has the landscape type bodies

gogetter
02-23-2005, 03:40 PM
It's probably been answered in one of their other posts, but I couldn't find anything, and rather then contact them, I thought it might be helpful for others to see it here. So, who made Justmowit's truck bodies?

nt1
02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Ok, still thinking and gathering ideas for " a good all in one truck/trailer", next year possibly. For this season I will probably stay with the trailers for everday use, a 5 x 10 & 6 x 16.

Ideas I have so far include building a 2' x 2' cage(angle iron & expanded metal) and bolting it to the rails of truck where a tool box would normally go. Have 2 doors to the cage, one on the passenger side & one on the drivers side. Maybe a modified ladder rack using the four stake pockets for a little overhead storage. Also trimmer racks on the side rails of truck. I am thinking of using a longbed ford ranger for the truck. With this truck I can still pull the 5 x 10' trailer when needed and it is low enough to the ground for a shallow angle(lightweight) ramp. Still thinking on the ramp set up for efficiency and cost.

As always thank you everyone for your ideas, input, and assistance! Any further ideas, comments, critiques are welcome please.

Mickhippy
02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
If I was ever to buy a truck, it would most likly be one of these.........
http://www.isuzu.com.au/isuzutrucks_4x4series.asp

click on the Model numbers on the left ith the grid!

I love these trucks. Saw one today out front of my joint. Not as big as they look in the pics! 4wd to boot!

Ant_Knee
03-12-2005, 05:45 PM
A local trailer company made justmowit's beds. I just had two made for RAM 1500's with ramps.

See if a local trailer company will custom build and have them bolt it to the frame.

nt1
03-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info Ant_Knee.

What type of elements did you add to your truck bodies?
Did you use dovetails? How long are the truck bodies?
If you don't mind sharing, How much $ did they set you back?

Ant_Knee
03-12-2005, 11:36 PM
yes dovetailed, I can't remember how long the ramps are but nothing outrageously long.

One side with double trimmer rack and a lockable box in the front of the bed...most others were having them built without the lockable box but I figured why not have the added security.

The bodies are not that long. My trucks are not long beds.

$1675.

$1400 for compact trucks.

HTH,

Anthony

gogetter
03-13-2005, 12:02 AM
$1675.

$1400 for compact trucks.

Damn, that sounds pretty reasonable. Have any pics of yours? I've seen the pic of justmowits, I'd like to see one on a fullsize truck.

Ant_Knee
03-13-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't have any pictures taken yet. I will take some and post them.

nt1
03-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks, I would like to see pictures on a full size truck as well.

Jerry and Sons
03-13-2005, 08:49 AM
do like to walk around and not have back pain. If so buy yourself a trailer.

nt1
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Jerry and Sons

Could you elaborate please?
Other than a potentially steeper ramp angle, loading and unloading of equipment (if minimal) should not be that much different between a trailer or a customized lawn truck. Or, maybe it is?

grasswhacker
03-16-2005, 07:58 AM
To carry your mower, try a cargo carrier that folds up when not in use. That is what i use when I only need my 21" during the day.
I purchased a regular carrier then ordered a foldable hitch so when I need to pull the trailer I can fold up the carrier and tow the 16 footer!

Patrick.B
03-16-2005, 07:33 PM
You can buy 5x10 trailer for under $800 and it come with ramp !

David Grass
03-19-2005, 03:13 PM
My dream unit would be a toyota tacoma, with out the bed on, and a specialized holder/bed that would custom fit a 60 inch Z or a walker, etc. Back it on and fly everywhere. I used to back my 44 inch toro walk behind into my toyota, and it was GREAT not having a damn trailer. I could go thru heavy traffic, up steep grades , etc. and FLY!

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 10:49 AM
I have some pics of the Dodge 1500 with the landscaper bed. Will post shortly.

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Here's a shot from the back of the truck with the right gate down.

http://www.yourreeftank.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=267

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a snapper pro 32" plus 2 honda 21"'s that my crew's can load on the trucks with no problem.

I used the Dodge 1500 vs. a smaller compact truck with the idea and ability to haul a slighty larger mower than just 21" decks.

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Another shot with the gate up.

http://www.yourreeftank.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=269

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
And one from the front.

http://www.yourreeftank.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=268

marko
03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.justmowit.com/our_fleet.htm
Check this link out. Go to the second picture. They cost $1400 from a trailer dealer in McKinney Texas.

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 01:42 PM
marko,

the same guy built mine. Read the posts above.

Ant_Knee
03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
interesting....does Lawnsite not allow hotlinking from other sites? That actually reduces their bandwidth.

sorry...my bad...I restricted hotlinking at my site....now resolved.
enjoy the photos.

marko
03-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I like (could not see your photos before). I will be getting one for an S10 next year (I hope)

willretire@40
03-30-2005, 03:58 PM
can you show us some pics with all your equipment on them. Those trucks look good. How is the 32" and 2 21" working out on your lawns.

Ant_Knee
03-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks. I will get some pics taken with all the equipment loaded.

Everything is working great with the setup we have. We service some larger accounts (for DFW) that have big back yards (1 acre lot) that are gated and the only thing to get in is a 32" deck. Most lots we service are small lots so it's nice to also have 2 21" decks on the truck for a 2 man crew.

nt1
04-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Good looking trucks!!!!!

How do you like them so far? Must be many pro's and some con's to them.

Can you still use a frame mounted hitch for pulling a trailer or does the extended bed and dovetail get in the way?

Ant_Knee
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Have not had any problems with the trucks and beds so far. A 32" mower can seem a bit heavy trying to bring it down off the bed...but it's just a matter of using the brakes and not scraping the bottom on the way down.

Not sure about the ability to also use a frame mounted hitch.

drsogr
04-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I really like that setup. What an effecient use of space. That would be the perfect setup for doing small residential setups. Great looking setup.

The Dude
04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Ant Knee,

How long did it take them to put that bed on? Is this something I could drive down and have it done and get back with in a few days? Are these bed pre-made or do they make them on the spot?

Ant_Knee
04-02-2005, 06:11 PM
The Dude,

It took them about a week or so to have them made but that was because it was in the middle of their busy season. If you called them and set something up they would probably be able to accommodate. If they new what type of truck you were putting these on and what you wanted they could fabricate them before hand.

PM me and I can get you there contact info. Of course I'm not sure if I have PM capabilities just yet but I'm working on it.

Ant_Knee
04-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks drsogr. Of course you know both my parents graduated from Mizzou and I went there my freshman year...so that might change your answer. Just kidding. I still remember parts of the Tiger fight song and alma mater even though a graduated from UNT.

drsogr
04-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks drsogr. Of course you know both my parents graduated from Mizzou and I went there my freshman year...so that might change your answer. Just kidding. I still remember parts of the Tiger fight song and alma mater even though a graduated from UNT.

Naw.....I am not a mizzou hater. I just can't stand Quin Snyder! You guys should have fired him already!

Ant_Knee
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Loaded and during a work day...

http://www.yourreeftank.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=271

Ant_Knee
04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Another angle....

http://www.yourreeftank.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=270

willretire@40
04-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for showing us the pic i have been waiting for them. It shows how much room the truck has when i can see equipment on it. Looks really really good actually better then a trailer. How is the snapper b/c most people dont talk about them much and what do they cost. Are you going to put your name on the trucks? Which mower do u use on a .25 acre or less lot. Can u use that snapper when the grass is wet like after a rain.

Ant_Knee
04-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Actually the snapper ended up in that picture because the client had watered their grass earlier that morning and with the fear of leaving big tracks in the lawn my crew decided to use the 2 hondas instead of the snapper.

Snapper has been great for us. It's not a dual hydro and both the Wright representative and the Snapper rep. advised me not to put a sulky on it...well after I got on the sulky at the dealer and whipped around the lot a couple of times they were amazed at how well it turned. I made such an impression they sold one to the guy in the parking lot that was walking out with just the same snapper.

I will put some type of signage on the vehicle but not sure just yet.

My guys will use the snapper as much as they possibly can. It takes a ton of time off their schedule. If they can squeeze it around the lawn, they will use it.

ALarsh
04-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Ant - Nice trucks. Do they have the V6 in them? How many accounts do you service? Do you have a similar business model as TJ, low overhead and budget price mowing?

Thanks.

spoolinaround
04-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I have been looking for a late model dakota with a I-4 that has been totaled from a t-boning in the bed area or a hard rear end colision, I want to cut the bed off of it, and chop the frame off about 12" behind the cab and build a solid 2"x5" tube frame that extends out 10', go with a stock drive axle and have a drop idler axle behind that, then buy a 6x12 landscape trailer and cut the suspention off of it and the tounge too and bolt it to the chassis, extend the ramp gate 2-3' and BAM instant <$5k lawn care truck that is capable of getting 20+ mPG and can still haul 2 52" ztr's or whatever I can load on the back, it is one less set of tires, one less license plate I have to buy, one less trailer I have to insure

ALarsh
04-11-2005, 08:16 AM
I have been looking for a late model dakota with a I-4 that has been totaled from a t-boning in the bed area or a hard rear end colision, I want to cut the bed off of it, and chop the frame off about 12" behind the cab and build a solid 2"x5" tube frame that extends out 10', go with a stock drive axle and have a drop idler axle behind that, then buy a 6x12 landscape trailer and cut the suspention off of it and the tounge too and bolt it to the chassis, extend the ramp gate 2-3' and BAM instant <$5k lawn care truck that is capable of getting 20+ mPG and can still haul 2 52" ztr's or whatever I can load on the back, it is one less set of tires, one less license plate I have to buy, one less trailer I have to insure

Are you adding another axel? A dakota can't handle 3,000 lbs in the back (stock atleast).

Ant_Knee
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Alarsh,

the trucks are V6. We have enough accounts to keep our trucks busy and continue to add about 10 new accounts a week. We run tight overhead. I was an auditor for a big 4 accounting firm before doing lawn maintenance. We have a good mix of small residential clients and larger residential clients. Our main push is the small residential clients but we fit in the larger accounts as well.

spoolinaround
04-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Are you adding another axel? A dakota can't handle 3,000 lbs in the back (stock atleast).
yes, adding a second drop axle on airbags like a dump truck

nt1
09-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Anyone know why I cannot see Ant Knee's pictures in his posts???????

At the time this Ant knee posted pictures on this thread I was able to view them and several others.

nt1
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Anyone know why I cannot see Ant Knee's pictures in his posts???????

At the time this Ant knee posted pictures on this thread I was able to view them and several others.

Can anyone else view Ant knees pictures?

All I can see is a RED X.

The C Man
09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
The site they were hosted on no longer exists.

nt1
09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
The site they were hosted on no longer exists.

Oh, ok. So are some pictures posted directly to LAWNSITE? Lawnsite being the host that is.

ashs inc
09-26-2006, 07:38 PM
dang wish ant knee would repost those pics!!!