PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs?

RELIABLELAWNMAN
02-14-2005, 11:09 PM
This is one of many fliers that are placed in sandwich bags and thrown on driveways here in Fresno and Clovis. Do you think they have business licenses and liability insurance? It is safe to say that at least six different people use the same flier except they change the name and phone number.
We also have individuals that place an ad in the local newspaper and state
that they will give a discount if paid in cash. Taxes paid????????

KINGjosh
02-14-2005, 11:25 PM
The design doesn't look that bad. Ive seen worse, but those prices look terrible.

stumper1620
02-14-2005, 11:38 PM
This is one of many fliers that are placed in sandwich bags and thrown on driveways here in Fresno and Clovis. Do you think they have business licenses and liability insurance? It is safe to say that at least six different people use the same flier except they change the name and phone number.
We also have individuals that place an ad in the local newspaper and state
that they will give a discount if paid in cash. Taxes paid????????

OUCH!
That aint even in the ball park. Knowing the cost of living is a lot higher than here. How the he!! can they buy gas for that price? I would'nt even drop the gate for a postage stamp for those prices.
I did notice the small print covering their butts with depending on size and condition.
I thought I had some lowballers here.
I feel your pain. :dizzy: :dizzy:

yamadooski
02-15-2005, 12:21 AM
We have a few like that in the Tampa area. I too wonder how they can even afford the gas.?
I lost a customer to one like that, they were in the middle of 6 house I do next to each other.
Man I tell ya the guy does a horrible job. Weeds in the beds and dont edge in the beds but once a month. Here we have to edge every week.
I picked up one of this guys yards and they couldnt believe the price I quoted them, it was litterally 80.00 more than what they were paying but the guy was destroying their yard. I told them you get what you pay for.
I picked them up no questions asked after they went and looked at one my yards.... :)

The landscaper
02-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Free fert on top of the barely 10 bucks a week.. Is that for real?

tiru
02-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Up in Washington I would find similar flyers all the time. Here is what a little research came up with.
The majorities were Orientals living in mass at one house.
Very few if any were US citizens.
Most were subsidized in some way, grants, and loans. Many government loans to emigrants can be secured for 2 to 3%. A million $ loan placed in almost any investment will earn more than the payments.
Five to ten would show up to do a lawn at $10 to $15.
With low to none overhead no employee wages, government subsidies I too would cut lawns for $10 a pop.
License, insurance and taxes paid, probably so.

captken
02-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Here they put a rock in the plastic bag and throw it on the driveway.

Maybe someone here will call Mr. Andy B. and introduce him to lawnsite! lol :realmad:

fga
02-15-2005, 11:46 AM
depends on the size of the properties they are servicing. i have plenty in that price range. that are strictly cutting though, no free ferts.

crawdad
02-15-2005, 12:11 PM
depends on the size of the properties they are servicing. i have plenty in that price range. that are strictly cutting though, no free ferts.
You have them in the 12 - 14 dollar range? Wow! Ya gotta do a bunch of them, eh? Hey, if it works for you, I ain't knocking it.

marko
02-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I also feel your pain. It is probably good for you in the long run, but its gotta suck when you have customers jump from you to him. It does not really matter if he can do it or not, you have at least lost the customer until they learn their lesson. The only thing I can say is do the good work, and let it speak for itself. Up to a point you get what you pay for.

gogetter
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. That's less then what neighborhood kids charge.

fga
02-15-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. That's less then what neighborhood kids charge.
thanks for the condolences, but i do alright.....

so let me get this straight. you line up 15 or so small front properties. 150 - 300 sq ft.each, let me guess, your getting 40 a pop per cut? :rolleyes: what would the local lad get, 35? :rolleyes:

i do fine cutting smaller properties. i'm in and out. i can bang out 100 accounts in 3 days. (if it weren't for traffic, it'd be 2)

fga
02-15-2005, 02:28 PM
You have them in the 12 - 14 dollar range? Wow! Ya gotta do a bunch of them, eh? Hey, if it works for you, I ain't knocking it.
as i've said the past, i can cut over 30 houses without my truck leaving the driveway. how's that for effieciency? i do have some very large account that i charge accordingly. i'm just saying, don't imagine big fields in that range. picture if you will, condo fronts.. lined up as far as the eye can see. i did the math last time, but i have 1 block where i cut 10 small fronts lined. i can leave the truck running. me and 1 guy an get it done in under 10 minutes easily.... 11.50 a cut.... $115 for 10 minutes work, minus labor :rolleyes: , and gas.
send all the small ones my way.. i'm in and out before any old lady has a chance to come out and chew my ear off.

fga
02-16-2005, 07:52 AM
i guess i am the only guy on here that has some 12 dollar houses.. :rolleyes:

GreenMonster
02-16-2005, 08:16 AM
i guess i am the only guy on here that has some 12 dollar crackhouses.. :rolleyes:

Is this what you meant to say, Adam? :D

fga
02-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Is this what you meant to say, Adam? :D
did you get up too early today?

i asked if they wanted some decorative rock.... they started drooling! :)

crawdad
02-16-2005, 08:41 AM
as i've said the past, i can cut over 30 houses without my truck leaving the driveway. how's that for effieciency? i do have some very large account that i charge accordingly. i'm just saying, don't imagine big fields in that range. picture if you will, condo fronts.. lined up as far as the eye can see. i did the math last time, but i have 1 block where i cut 10 small fronts lined. i can leave the truck running. me and 1 guy an get it done in under 10 minutes easily.... 11.50 a cut.... $115 for 10 minutes work, minus labor :rolleyes: , and gas.
send all the small ones my way.. i'm in and out before any old lady has a chance to come out and chew my ear off.

That's why I say "if it works for you..."
There's already enough people around here that'll tell you you're doing it wrong if you don't do it just like they do.
Crawdad

pcnservices
02-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Reliable,
Dont worry - Homeland security is putting up a fence along the border to keep those gardeners out. :D
With those prices they are obviously going for the volumes. Stick to your guns and dont try and compete with them. Like all of us here, your customers and potential customers too will read the unprofessionalism in their flyer.
Where do they get fertilizer to do free fert. apps? Hey somebody warn Lesco - they must be getting it after hours through the warehouse's back window.
Good luck
PC
whose mr Andy B.? His last name is probably Bozslymnesargoz

gogetter
02-16-2005, 10:13 AM
i guess i am the only guy on here that has some 12 dollar houses.. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, what does that tell you? :p

But seriously, you mentioned these tiny "front" lawns. No backyards on these?

HOOLIE
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
gogetter- Adam's mowing in New York City, not the same type of props as exist in much of the rest of the world. I know most of my relatives up there, that's how there yards were. Cement in back, little bit of grass in front, if any.

Soupy
02-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Now I know how PTP plans on going from 35 customers to 450 :laugh:.

fga
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Hmmm, what does that tell you? :p

But seriously, you mentioned these tiny "front" lawns. No backyards on these?
for the most part, no. but there are 1 or 2 linked to a larger account that may just have a small back yard, and no front. or both, a small front and a small back.
i also make a killing when we do clean ups on these smaller houses. like when we thatch and fertilize... we can be in and out of a small house in less then 20 minutes, half hour.
i have found that acconuts that fall into this category, also are willing to pay and not give me a problem when it comes to all the extras. trimming, fertilizing, annuals, perennials, etc.
also, with houses in this price range, you also find you are paid alot more often in cash.
this year i will have a camera in my truck full time, being my wife and recieved a few digital cameras over the holidays (on top of what we had already), so i will have pics of alot of accounts.

Turfdude
02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
The majoruty of my accounts 98%+ would circular file that thing immediately. Most people in general w/ a little commonm sense can easily see that the flier came from a "fly-by-nighter". People looking for a mow,blow,go operator may go for a cheap price, but anyone who takes pride in the appearance of their property would toss it aside.

Scraper
02-16-2005, 08:40 PM
You sure their prices aren't per visit as opposed to per month? For an average 5k property those prices aren't too off.

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-16-2005, 09:04 PM
You sure their prices aren't per visit as opposed to per month? For an average 5k property those prices aren't too off.

It says right with the price, monthly. It also says they charge $7.00/ 2 weeks to hedge trim, and do all the little things that go with total landscape care. :dizzy: