PDA

View Full Version : $5000 to spend on new mower!

Nikon Shooter
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Hello!

I am getting ready to purchase a new mower, and would like some suggestions at what I should look at in the $5K range.

I have a little over one acre to mow at my home (lots of obstacles: swingset, trees, out building, etc.) and my father and his neighbor want me to mow their lawns (probably 3/4 acre each).

I have a lot of time off my full time job, and was thinking about picking up an additional 6-8 lawns.

Most yards in my area range anywhere from ½-1½ acres... Most are fairly flat, but there some hilly ones as well.

I have mower dealers out the wazoo around here.... Basically, just about every major brand and there is a dealer within 50 miles.

I definitely want a rider, and want to stick REAL close to $5000. The only mowers I have looked at so far is a Dixon Kodiak (commercial model) with 50" deck and 20hp Kohler ($5200 rebate included) and a Hustler Fastrak with 52" deck and 20HP Honda ($4699).

I understand the Fastrak is not a "commercial" type mower, and If I am not mistaken, basically the only thing keeping this from being a commercial mower is the dual hydro-gear IZT units.... It comes with a 1 year commercial warranty, but let's just say one of these IZT's go bad after that.... Anyone have any idea how much they would cost to replace?

I really like both of the mowers I have looked at.... I am leaning more towards the Dixon Kodiak with it having the Parker pumps, lights, seat springs, and hour meter already installed... It also comes with a 3 year parts/ 2 year labor warranty.

I am going to a HUGE farm machinery show end of this week, and would like to know if there is any other brands that will be in my budget, that have features similar to the Dixon.

Thanks for your help!!!

bushtrimmer
02-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Exmark Laser HP without a doubt. You might spend just a little bit more but it is certainly very durable.

dwc
02-14-2005, 11:23 PM
I have a Wright Sentar, 48" 19hp Kawasaki with about 250 hours on it with bagger I am selling for $3,950. You can see one at www.wrightmfg.com . It is a true commercial mower and is fast.

Travis Followell
02-15-2005, 06:58 AM
I was just wondering what part of KY you are in and what dealer did you get that price for that Hustler from?

I would probibly go with the Hustler if it was me because they are more well known in the commercial market and they are a lot larger company than Dixon so you could probibly get Hustler parts a little quicker. The IZT's on the Hustler are made to last 750 hours and are roughly $1200 to replace.

truenorthlandscaping
02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
I've got 2 - Wrights for sale, $3000 (Stander) & $3,900 (Sentar). We're upgrading to 61" machines. These mowers are AMAZING for efficiency. We're in Indianapolis, call for details or look on the equipment for sale spot. 317-418-7760.

TURF DOCTOR
02-15-2005, 09:13 AM
3 walkbehinds for sale and 1 ztr.

leaflawnandlimb
02-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Exmark lazer ct- $4999

westwind
02-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Wright Stander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kawasaki engine.