PDA

View Full Version : Problem- Rain Bird Controller

fishinman22487
02-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok, I have an account with a Rain Bird irrigation system. The controller is an RC-4Bi, the big grey box one.
I have found that the past few days I have been working at this guys house the controller has been in 'rest' mode and the clock seems to not move??
But when I manually move the dial to the 1st,2nd, 3rd and 4th zone the clock works fine.
One idea I had was to reset the days and hours the system will come on.
Think this might solve the problem?!?!?
Any ides :dizzy:

P.I.L.C.
02-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Take the four screws out of the corners of the timer. Unplug the control panel from the box itself. If you have a supplier that sell rainbird close by, take the control panel in and have them put in a new shaft. It is a plastic shaft that the clock turns on. It probable got turned the wrong way and stripped the shaft. It would still work in the manual mode. Give that a try. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

fishinman22487
02-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks P.I.L.C

I might possibly give that a try. I went to the customers house today and when I opened the box I noticed that the clock was moving a lil faster in 'Rest' mode than the days b4. I think it just has been ran in awhile. Not sure?!?!
Tommorow I'm gonna ask some ?s at a plant nursery I work at, so will see. :)

Luke in Nebraska
02-19-2005, 04:04 PM
You need a new timing motor. It,s the motor with the short shaft. The other motor in the controller is the rapid advance motor,and it has a longer shaft. All you need to do is replace it.

fishinman22487
02-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Yep, took the controller to my Rain Bird dealer yesterday and they said it was prob. the timing motor or even a stripped gear in the motor. A new motor runs about $40-. So looks like I will be buying a new motor.

turf2be
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
i would just update the system and install a new digital controller..for a couple hundred bucks the home owner would have a more efficient system with more room for other updates, ie rain sensor, wind sensor, temp sensor etc.