PDA

View Full Version : 48 inch deck needs how much power?

mloolara
02-14-2005, 11:19 PM
I am considering purchasing a new Tiger Cub for cutting grass in Louisiana. I would be mowing 4 acres of grass every week or so (2 acres at my house and 2 at my Mama's house). The current price is $6,800 for a new Tiger Cub with 48 inch deck and 19 HP Kawasaki engine. Is this enough power for this mower? I asked and the price jumps about 1 thousand to bump up to the 24 HP Honda. By the way, is this mower the right "fit" for my cutting needs?

traman
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
ck out exmark lazer z hp 48 inch deck the hp is for there compacked size mower put still has full size mower features can order three engine sizes 19,20 and 23 i think the price will be lower than scags if you are going to side discharge lower horse power should be ok ,but if you plan to mulch higher is better good luck

procut
02-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Like traman said, if you plan to discharge it should work fine, but mulching may be more of a challenge.

DennisF
02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Get all the horsepower that you can afford. You won't regret it.

Triple L
02-15-2005, 05:21 PM
I got a walker 42" GHS 18 HP Kohler, More than plenty of power. the 19 should have no problem at all. Think 21" has 5.5 HP, so 42" should have 11 Hp 48" might have 15 HP or so. The only time my walker has ever really worked is when I put the 52" on and cut grass 1' high.

TomB
02-15-2005, 05:34 PM
The 19hp is fine for side discharging. If you plan to bag or mulch Scag offers a 21hp and I would go with it.

Envy Lawn Service
02-15-2005, 05:45 PM
OK, here goes, don't buy if the Kawi powered Scags don't have the canister air filter.
Choose another brand engine.

In my opinion, the 48" deck needs atleast a 21hp Kawasaki, minimum.

I'm not real sure what your cutting needs are, but if you need a small mower and want a Scag, I would suggest you go with the 52" Tiger Cub. If you can use a 61" then step up to the Wildcat.

The money difference is a NON-ISSUE when you think about what the mower will earn you per hour and how few hours it takes to recoup the money. However, the production difference is an issue.

TomB
02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
All the Scag riders have the "cannister" air filter on them now.

LLandscaping
02-15-2005, 10:31 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs with the 48/19 Kawasaki's and they have plenty of power in all the conditions we have put it through. One Cub has the canister air filter (2004) and the other we have (2003) does not. The canister is great you only have to replace it about once a year if you blow it out and keep it clean. We side discharge mostly,but mulch in the fall and there have not been any power issues.

Green lawns
02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Our 48" Bob-Cat has the 25hp Kohler. The way I see it the more ponies the better. No such thing as too much horse power!

jayandlo
02-16-2005, 05:11 PM
If you're cutting weekly 19hp is fine, even for mulching.

ed2hess
02-16-2005, 06:43 PM
That is a lot of machine to cut 4 acres....the unit is advertised to cut 23 acres a day? Can't we guess that the smaller engine would be enough for this application?

mloolara
02-17-2005, 12:21 AM
I travel a lot with work so even though it is a lot of machine and money, the time saved is well worth it and I don't plan on buying another for a long, long time.

cmurphy128
02-23-2005, 06:52 PM
it all depends on what application
every mfg is different

it depends on where uses
some things that effect hp are, outside temp, altitude, belt or gear drive, belt or hydro or mfg of the hydro

in most case's hp is over rated and over killed

Envy Lawn Service
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
it all depends on what application
every mfg is different

it depends on where uses
some things that effect hp are, outside temp, altitude, belt or gear drive, belt or hydro or mfg of the hydro

in most case's hp is over rated and over killed

Well, you may be right about the application part, because due to my experiences, I tend to disagree with you rather strongly. In my opinion, most commercial equipment on the market today is underpowered. So much so that it tends to work the engine harder, run it hotter, wear it out faster and cause it to use more fuel than a larger more suitable engine for the application. In my opinion, the long term costs of fuel usage and early replacement far out weigh the minor inital expense of a little more powerful engine.

Maybe I have a little different outlook on it because of what I'm comparing to and because I have long term experience with a few more/extra pony's under the hood. For many years prior to the recent establishment of commercial equipment dealers in my area, I ran tractors and lawn tractors for mowers.

In a nutshell, the easiest way I know to explain what I'm saying is take just lawn tractors for example.... They have a much better (HP & torque : load) ratio. A 48" lawn tractor for example will weigh the same or less than a 48" commercial walk behind, and they also pose a much lighter overall load, while many have much more powerful engines to boot.

Now, here we are talking about ZTR horse power though. The typical 48" ZTR at 1000-1100 lbs dry, weighs twice as much, carries about 4 times the amount of fuel, has two hydro pumps to turn and two wheel motors to power from them... basically two hydro drive systems.... and not only that, it is SUPPOSED to carry out the task of cutting grass at twice the ground speed.

I own, owned, used, and demoed many mowers out in the field in real world conditions, and I'm here to tell you, nowhere is the effects of a few more HP missed more than in a commercial ZTR application. Stepping up just to the next engine in line does make a lot of difference, especially if you are talking about a 19hp 48" ZTR. I've had many different engine options on 48" mowers of different forms.... and maybe a 20hp Kolher would be OK, I don't know... but a 21hp Kawasaki is what I have found to be rock bottom minimal on a 48" ZTR, and that ain't pretty. 23-25hp is ideal, depending on engine brand.