PDA

View Full Version : How many reinforce their rear gate?

blair smock
02-14-2005, 11:33 PM
How many people actually end up reinforcing their rear gate? My last two trailers, angle iron- always seemed to bend half way into the season, I am working on a new trailer now with a tubular steel gate with the wire mesh. It has the usual 5 pieces of tubular steel running along the back with a piece of angle iron on the top all mig welded. I am running a Kubota 2230 with front loader occasionally or my Lazer Z 60” Nothing else of any weight.

Do you think the Tubular steel will hold up or do I need to add another 3/16 tubular piece in-between the existing 4 for a total of 8 vertical bars across the back? I have a gate lifting system ready to go, Other thing I have found is Steel has really gone up! When I say Tubular steel I mean 3/16 square steel- Any suggestions? Pictures of what works? Thanks for the Help Guys! Blair

blair smock
02-14-2005, 11:34 PM
OOPS Square Steel = 3/16 thick by 1.5X1.5

Scag48
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
If you feel the need to add more structural support, than go ahead. I can't remember what the dimensions of the steel tubing that reinforces my gate are, but my gate is extremely heavy and is rated for about 2,000 pounds, as the trailer is rated for 3,000 pounds, it was originally designed by the Wacker company for hauling paving equipment and I have since added sides on it to accomadate my equipment. If you add more steel and your gate becomes heavy like mine, build a spring assist system much like the Backsaver gate assist. Only don't waste your money on that crap, $165 bucks of junk. I built 2 of those spring setups for my gate for a total of $30 for BOTH and the parts can be bought at any Home Depot.