PDA

View Full Version : Can You Beleive It !?!?!

GrassRoots Lawn Care
02-02-2001, 12:45 AM
I recently posted about the decision to by a Mower Online vs. a Local Dealer. After reading the replies I decided to buy local, but this time I knew the dealer would come down on the price (before he hadn't budged on a Great Dane Super Surfer 52" 19Kaw for $6699.) You see, my brother and I both own lawn businesses and he also was looking for a Stander but he wanted the Wright. He recently decided to go with the Surfer. So we walked into the dealer ready to buy (1) Super Surfer 52" and (1) 48". Two mowers, cash, no financing. When asked the what discount he was ready to give us now that we were purchasing two mowers (and a ECHO backpack blower) he said "Man... I told you the other day, nobody 'Jews' me down on my mowers, its still $6699 EACH" I about dropped to the ground, how on Earth can a small business owner stay in business with these sort of business practices? I told him we will would never buy from him and would go to his closest competitor, even though they do not carry the Great Danes. And he acted surprised. :-)

Randy Scott
02-02-2001, 12:57 AM
Can You Believe It!?!?! Yah. Some people are just idiots. It's too bad because it sounds like you guys really want the Surfers. Maybe you should give the manufacturer a call and tell them the situation before buying something else. See what they have to say about someone representing their company that way. Just a thought.

65hoss
02-02-2001, 01:06 AM
We have a small engine shop around here that is the same way. No compromises. There way or nothing. To bad, they are the closest exmark dealer to me, but I would never buy anything from them. Most people in this area know about them and feel the same way. Exmark also knows about them and from what I heard they may end up loosing their dealership on day. They hurt exmarks reputation in my opinion. Their idea of helping you out is if you buy a $7000 Lazer they MIGHT throw in a mulch kit. But no price breaks. Call the manufacturer, there may be others dealers that you don't know about or a rep that can help you. But I wouldn't want to count on this dealer for service.

Runner
02-02-2001, 01:32 AM
It's probably a good omen. Perhaps God's way of telling you to go for something else. This could be for a number of reasons.

Administrator
02-02-2001, 03:01 AM
Why don't one of you go to TurfMfg.com and ask a eXmark representitive directly if they can influence a dealer in any way?

awm
02-02-2001, 06:22 AM
The dane dealer in oakboro had the 52 chariot
just over 6 thousand.T 60 inch was 6800
If i hdnt had a deal, i couldnt refuse come up,
i was going after one.Thats oakboro nc

SpringValley
02-02-2001, 06:52 AM
I agree with Runner. It was not meant to be. Everything happens for a reason and that reason is not clear to us always at first. It may take a month or a year, but not being able to buy those Danes will become clear at some point. Continue your search. Happy hunting!

Matt

HOMER
02-02-2001, 07:04 AM
My dealer won't even throw in a set of blades! I am in no way taking the side of the dealer here but wouldn't it be the same with you if the customer said "do it for $15.00 less per cut and I'll let you have it". Would you do it? The best thing to do is move on, buy something else, when his hard times hit and you stop in for some 2-stroke mix or something he will see whats on your trailer and most likely think about the decision he made.

Greenkeepers
02-02-2001, 07:19 AM
I have a dealer like that in my area too.. They are just plain idiots, and they don't have time for you. They tried to sell me a 1999 leftover Lazer saying that it was a 2000. I went to another dealer and he was straight up with me and gave me a couple hundred off and some free oil...

Homer it's different than a customer because they are only going to be approx $1500 year and not $7000 in one shot...

Some people just don't deserve to be in business...

geogunn
02-02-2001, 07:22 AM
wow! I posted on the other thread about the independence of some of these guys. this is unreal! when I buy retail, I expect to negotiate the price a little, because I expect the dealer to be a little high and build in some wiggle room.

bard to believe he'd say "shove it up...". with his independence with the sale, I'd wonder if he'd be be as independent when it comes to repairs. amazing

GEO

HOMER
02-02-2001, 07:31 AM
I agree Greenskeeper, but the dealer isn't going to have 75-100 people walking in buying mowers either.(HE MIGHT, BUT THAT'S A LOT) You might need to find out how many he does sell each year. Talk to the next closest dealer and find out his average over the past 3 years or so. This probably makes a difference with them. I would drive a little to save a lot, sounds like even if you did buy from this local guy he has an attitude anyway so your luck getting things repaired may be no different. I'd hate for you to give in, buy from him assuming everything would be rosy and then get "stiffed" when the mower did need work! That would be a double whammy!

TJLC
02-02-2001, 08:05 AM
My Exmark dealer will work with you on some of the high priced stuff, but the lower priced stuff like blowers, edgers,trimmers, he says he can't lower the price because there is no room to do this. I don't know. I have taken in some prices from Alamia and he has said HE can't even buy the equip. for that. His service is good so I guess you have to weigh things out. My thoughts are: profit is not a dirty word, but there is a fine line between fair profit and flat out ripping someone off.

mowerconsultant
02-02-2001, 08:50 AM
"how on Earth can a small business owner stay in business with these sort of business practices?"

let me play devils advocate here....

easily its called keeping a profit margin.

if you quoted me 35.00 per hour to do some yard cleanup, and i told you i was not going to take it at that price and my neighbor and i were going to go in together and get a better price from you or another, what would be your reaction ?
you need to realize that the unit you are looking at has already gone from manufacturer to a distributor, through 2 frieght companies, and most likely a floor plan finance company. all of which the dealer had no negotiations with, they are set costs. whether they were built into his purchase price or not, he pays these.
now i do not know what pricing bracket your dealer buys in but at the price you were quoted he is NOT making a profit margin that i would be happy with, nor would you if the roles were reversed..

mowerman90
02-02-2001, 12:29 PM
The more I see of dealers acting this way the more I'll buy online. I hope whatever you end up buying works out for you and I hope that when it's still new and shiny you load up your trailer and drive through the "idiot dealers" lot blowing your horn, just to let him know you got a deal somewhere else.

Greenman2ooo
02-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Mowerconsultant-

If full list price for a mower was equivalent to a high end market price, $55 or $60 per hour would be the figure to use in your scenario rather than $35 which would be a bottom of the barrel price IMHO.

If I was quoting a job at $55-$60 per hour and the customer was willing to pay $45, then I would consider taking $45 an hour. The dealer in this instance is sticking firm at $60 per hour, no breaks! I can't deal with anyone that rigid because I know how my machine will get serviced, no matter what lip service I've been given.

In my family there is a saying, "half a loaf is better than none." I don't work for free and I don'texpectthe mowerman to, either. However, I'm not going to be his goose that laid the golden egg, either. If this dealer was a bit more practical, he would not need to make full list off every machine that graced his doorstep.

This dealer has a long lost evil twin in business in each and every one of our markets! :) Thank god every dealer doesn't have this attitude!

GrassMaster
02-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Hello Everybody:

I wrote this story below about a year ago. I've been on both sides of the fence & the side the dealer is on, is not nice & Green. If I had life to live over again I would still be cutting grass. It is 10 times tougher being in retail, than just having a service business. Dealers are now being told by some O.E.M.'s how much to buy, because of times being so hard.

Yes, I was told by one of the biggest O.E.M.'s that I had to buy so many $1,000's in parts to obtain my ripoff mark up of 33% on most parts & my ripoff mark up on other parts considered accessories would be about 18%. If not & I buy less than that I would only get 25% & 10% off list on my parts.

Yeh this is when it really gets good. It's when Wheeling & Dealing Cell Phone Talking, Sea Cruise Johnny comes in his $35K dually pulling a 10 ft. single axel trailer (only trailer he has LOL)& wants a half pound of trimmer line (6.99) & a head bolt (1.95)for his Wombat 4.5hp mower that is 20+ years old. He has no model number & says well they are all the same aren't they?

Well you had to listen to Johnny tell you about his Sea Cruise (He still owes me $1,400 in Equipment & Repairs from 6 months ago) 15 minutes later, that no money spending Homeowner that wanted to buy that Electric Start Mower from you for $800 just walked out on you, that you had for three years on the floor, because your O.E.M. made you buy one because you are not representing the full line of Lawn Equipment.

Then after going out to Wheeling & Dealing Cell Phone Talking, Sea Cruise Johnny Dually & get his model number off his mower because he don't have a pen & paper. Since I'm getting the sale I should go out there & lick the manufactures plate clean & memorize the numbers. Because Wheeling & Dealing Cell Phone Talking, Sea Cruise Johnny says that I'm making a killing & should be ashamed of the way I rip people off.

So I can't find it on Microfiche because it's so old. So then I call the Manufacture & stay on hold for 20 minutes (Thank God It's Toll Free #) they can get me the part in three Days. So now it's star date 2100, yep over 1 hour later. Still kissing you know whos what.

He then says order for me. Then few days later you call & let his ansering service know that the part is in. Well he comes by about an hour later & you got the Trimmer line & head bolt in waiting on him. A total of $8.94 + tax & he says he wants to charge it. Well you tell him that you need him to pay for it because, you need the money. He then cusses you out, throws the line & special order bolt across the showroom floor. Says he will never do business with you again & go ahead & try to take him to court over the money.

He then tells his buddies a different story & 2 of them quit doing business with you too. They also tell a few of their customers & they tell their neighbors & by the time it gets back to you. You've done all these terrible things to him & you've lost $1,000's & $1,000's of dollars because you wouldn't let Wheeling & Dealing Cell Phone Talking, Sea Cruise Johnny charge $9.57 & he was your best customer & had spent over $25,000 at your dealership & I owed him my life? In all actuality he only spent about $2,000 at your dealership & still owes the $1,450. He pays $50 a month & been doing so for 6 months. If you take him to court nothing can be done because you gave him a line of credit & he pays every month on his bill? This is a True Story & many more like it! "That's a fact Jack!"

Now how much did I make in profit, with my $400,000 investment & hours of work? This & similar things like it happen all the time at my shop. Butt why would I tell you, Because I know these kind of things happen to Commercial Cutters everyday too! This is why dealers act the way they do & as time goes on it will get worse. We & I mean all of us owe nobody anything. Us dealers put a price on our Equipment that we need to make profit wise, only a fool would mark it way up & then haggle for days to come down a few hundred. When I was in the lawn service business I very seldom came down on the price. I'm not a over priced car dealership, I'm a Outdoor Power Equipment Dealer trying to make a living, not a killing. Butt I know you guys come down on your price all the time also. How many $1.95 jobs & $10.00 jobs do you guys do a day? I do plenty & some take a hour or longer. Call me a Ripoff, I prefer Stupid I'm just a Dealer trying to make a living. I already know how hard you guys work I've been there & Done that. I try every way in the world to make folks happy & I still get burned about 5 to 10% of the time.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL, I forgot here's the Story, I wrote!

Where can I get the best price on equipment?

That's a good question. Lets say you live in Bangor Maine & I know where you can get a good 21"commercial walk behind for $150 below the best price you found in your town all you have to do is go to Ty Ty Georgia. In this case it doesn't work for you, but lets say you did get it & it had a manufactures defect, the engine had a loose rod because it wasn't properly torqued at the factory. Well you haven't got the time & the $250 dollars in gas money to take it back.

Then you take it to the Mr. Over priced outdoor power equipment dealership in your home town & he tells you that he only does warranty work on what he sells. The next closest deal of a life time dealer is 200 miles away & your thinking will he say the same thing. Your thinking to your self, I now wish I had paid that extra $50 bucks now. Two days later you have lost 2 accounts that you make $285 a month on because you already put them off 4 days before your deal of a lifetime walk mower broke down because you were going all over the country trying to save $250 on that $6000 rider. How much money did you save? Not much did you.

I have seen it time & time again where people spend a easy 15 to 20 hours or more to save $20 to $50 on a walk behind & some times drive 100 or more miles to find that deal of a lifetime. Remember if you were out working with this equipment instead of trying to save a few bucks the mower would be at least 1/2 paid for. Maybe you have but I have never seen a dealer sell a $800 walk for $950 or have I seen them sell it for $650. These dealers only have %15-%20 markup maybe a little more but not often.

There are people out there that pay $25,000 & more for a piece of equipment then charge $50 & more a hour labor. I think anybody now is averaging $35 or more a hour labor when running a commercial 21" walk. Your making plenty of money with the equipment don't make it a lifetime career to save a few bucks. Do make it a lifetime career to find a dealer that will help you when you need it most. To a certain point a dealer can make you or break you. Find a dealer & build a good working relationship, you will save thousands of dollars. This will be the dealer that will loan you a mower or will repair your mower on the spot ahead of 150 other repairs already there waiting to be fixed. This is savings!!!!!

Hey how do you like it when your potential customers want you to give them a %10 to %20 discount on your services before they even see your work, what goes around comes around. I never asked for a discount & I always got one and or the best service you could ask for too. It takes other people, well I mean it takes more than one person to make 1 person successful they can't do it by themselves. Get the picture!!!!!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try to understand others & they will probably understand you! There is always 2 sides to everything. Remember this also. The average Dealer probably deals with more people in one week than you do in a year. Everybody wants you to come off the price & after a while it just flat out makes you sick when you hear it. I don't get discounts at Sears, Dillingers, K-Mart, WallMart, Lowes, Home Depot & all those other Multi Billion Dollar Companies. So why would I ask a Man that is trying to make a living just like me?

accuratelawn
02-02-2001, 04:09 PM
We all have the right to do business with the dealer of our choice. Yes there are trade offs. Is saving a couple hundred bucks worth the "risk" of buying online?
I personaly have purchased several hand helds and parts online,but I think purchasing a mower from your local dealer is the way to go. If there is a problem you can address it with the dealer face to face!
What kind of service are you going to receive when you bring your mower (purchased online) to the local guy for repairs or service?? Yes the dealer is going to honor the warrenty work, but how fast will the repairs be completed? Does the online company have a loaner??
Must of us here have made a choice as to our career. Some days are rough, some are great just like any business. I started in this business because I was sick of working for somebody else. If you are doing something you don't like make a change. If there are accounts that are difficult make a change, if you are in RETAIL and hate it get out!
Having an account you hate is a waste of your time. Replace it. If you are running a business you hate for the last 5 years, get out! Crying about it will not change your circumstance.

Grassman
02-02-2001, 04:55 PM
I'd be hard pressed to buy online. These service and sale shops keep us in business. By buying online, your like the person that hires the 15yr old uninsured, unlicensed, nontaxpaying scrub that hurts us all. Find a good dealer, stick with him and he'll be there for you. Think about it!

Twotoros
02-02-2001, 04:55 PM
My dealer gives the best price he can. Why? Because he knows that when it comes in for repair thats when he makes his living wages. No dealer can live without repairs and if they don't sell the machine he can't fix it.
Most dealers can get just about any product so keep looking or buy online , but find a dealer that will repair a machine that you purchased elsewhere.

GrassMaster
02-02-2001, 05:31 PM
Hello Again:

This is not a account that you can drop & find another one down the road. I wish it was & if it was I would have dropped it at the first sign of trouble. :-)

Yes I know now I made a big mistake & now I must reap what I sow. Can't just drop a big loan that is 2/3 paid for with a Big inventory. That's the difference between the 2 business's, believe me I wish it was different.

I'm on my second Business Broker trying to sell & came down way way below appraised price, just trying to get out with a little pocket change. To get me back into business.

That's why I went to so much detail to explain the Dealer side of this. Don't you think some of them are in the same boat, except I try as hard as I can to make the customer happy & it's still not good enough some times. I always do on the spot repairs for commercial cutters & if they don't ask for it, I offer it!

I have 5 years max, if no one buys. I miss the Lawn Service Business so much because of the freedom I had. This is why I spend so much time on line & trying to help others. Also staying on top of things too!

Hey I might before long try doing a little spraying, aeration, dethatching, installation & etc... I miss the business very much, I just had to learn the hard way & once again I will live the Salad years, the good years. :-)

Ssouth
02-02-2001, 11:25 PM
Just wanted everyone to know there are some good dealers out there. Last Feb. I bought a 48"LZHP,Echo:backpack, trimmer, and edger. Dealer said he could only come off the price of the mower $200. I said deal and would be back in two days to pick it all up. After writing the check and loading everything up the dealer pulls out the box my mulching kit came in full of trimmer line, two cycle oil, edger blades, safety glasses, and ear plugs. In all it was probably and additional $200 worth of extras. On top of that every once in a while he will throw in extra goodies after I've bought something else from him.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know THERE ARE SOME REALLY GOOD DEALERS OUT THERE. So when you do find one stick to them and only them.

captdevo
02-03-2001, 08:26 AM
There are 2 sides to every story. Again, i beleive in communication. If it's your first time approaching this dealer, sit down with him and start a business relationship. There are a few businesses I deal with which i have made deals with because I know they respect my end of this profession. I became a dealer just to offset the cost of my equipment, it cost alot of money up front to stock "new" units and parts. Look at both sides of the fence.

awm
02-04-2001, 06:36 PM
When i was selling i learned to deal from this standpoint
The buyer is going home as normal.That night he is goin
to think about the purchase or deal he got.
HE EITHER GOT BEAT IN THE DEAL,BEAT THE --- OUT OF
YOU IN THE DEAL. OR GOT A GOOD FAIR DEAL AN FEELS GOOD
ABOUT IT.I wanted the latter in my buisiness .

ron
02-04-2001, 07:30 PM
Hey Grass Check out THE MOWER DEPOT
located at 357 Andrews St Ormond Beach Fl 904 676-0776
they can help you out they sell used equipment..
you might also want to check out HOME DEPOT located off 92 In Daytona Beach they also sell reconditioned lawn equipment that come with a full year warranty.
this is where I purchased all my equipment except for the 36 in Scagg I got at John Deer off us 1 S Daytona Beach..

http://homestead.juno.com/skyler72/ron.html

Martino
10-11-2001, 12:13 PM
I ran across this thread while doing a search and even though it is several months old, I feel compelled to reply.

Why in the world do so many of you think that it is your RIGHT to get a discount on your purchases from a dealer? Is it because you happen to cut grass for a living? Let me tell you something about dealers and the products they sell. Grassmaster did a fine job of relating his experiences in dealing with commercial customers and I would like to add a few points.

Dealers generally will make from 15%-20% margin selling commercial mowers (this is discounted down from suggested selling price; some big hitters/good payers/top bracket buyers can get a little more, but not much. This does not take into account freight (if any; usually depends on quantities shipped), assembly and prep (can take a few hours, depending on the unit),delivery (if applicable) and interest and floor plan costs. So now the $1000-$1340 that the dealer would pocket off of the sale of the mowers that Grass Roots wanted has been reduced by a few hundred dollars at least, and those are just the costs related to making this particular sale. It doesn't even take into account his everyday overhead...electric, water, tools, etc.

Hand held equipment brings margins usually of 20%-25%. This means that the $399 backpack that he sells you will bring him a whopping $80-$100 "profit". Then you have to subtract the same costs outlined above to get to what a dealer really sees off of the sale.

With numbers like this, some people in this thread are outraged that dealers don't discount more??? If truth be told, most dealers would probably tell commercial customers to take their business elsewhere and just deal with the consumer end of the biz, but seeing that about 80% of consumer business (equipment sales) is in the mass merchandisers, they are forced to do business with the commercial trade. So these dealers drop everything (especially the lucrative consumer tune-ups) to get your mowers back running when you have a problem, because that is how you have to operate to get and keep commercial business. In return, Grass Roots and his allies in this post walk away from these people when the price does not meet their expectations. You know, good dealers will not for a second miss this business, because they are not customers, merely buyers.

I would not suggest for a second that some commercial accounts are not worthy of buying discounts, but certainly not for one purchase of a couple of mowers and a blower. These discounts would be earned over time with loyalty and service work and parts purchases and referrals, etc.

In closing, I would like the price shoppers to think about this....how long does it take you to recoup the couple of hundred dollars that the dealer wanted to keep for himself- one day of mowing? Maybe day and a half? Two days max! There is a dealer that I am familiar with in a big competitive market who a couple of years ago refused to get caught up in the resulting price war when a distributor rep set up dealers all over town with a very popular brand of mower. He'd had it with commercial outfits coming in with prices from around town demanding him to beat them. He decided that promo prices were his lowest price and didn't try to defend his pricing, rather supported it by explaining to these price shoppers that he offers alot more than lawnmowers when you you buy from him. Things like the best techs in town, immediate service, parts in stock to support every piece that is sold, factory training and so on. The result? Well, he did lose some folks to other dealers (but those folks lost the rest of the services that he provides to the people who buy their equipment from them.) However, he was happy to see most of them go, as they were the ones that tended to want the world. By the way, at the same time, he dropped in house charge accounts, no exceptions except govts.....keeps a credit card number on file for companies who don't have a check or cash at time of purchase. Guess what kind of "customers" he lost when this policy took effect!!! He is busier than ever, now with "good" clientele, getting his prices, exceeding his profitability goals and this past spring moved into a state of the art new building that further enhances his profitability and professionalism, and by the way, built with the commercial customer in mind.

Dealers should be one of the lifelines of your business and there should be a mutual respect that allows both to maximize their profitability......a lot more involved than trying to get him to give up some of his well deserved margin so you can save money on a purchase.

By the way, I noticed that Grass Roots has left the industry and one of the reasons was too much discounting by his competion, lowballing his prices. Think about this in terms of dealerships and what you will end up with if too many leave because of you folks only buying "price." Rather ironic, don't you think?

SLS
10-11-2001, 01:15 PM
...on the other hand:

I price shopped between 4 Exmark dealers in my area. The one closest to my home wouldn't budge from his initial quote...the other 3 were negotiable.

The one that I made my purchase from asked to see the quotes from the other 3...and then beat them.

The difference between the "no deals" guy and the guy who got my business was exactly enough to get the 12x8 trailer ($650).

And that was with the micro-mulch kit, spare set of blades and bolts, and a couple of cool t-shirts too. :)

I gave the "no deals" guy a second chance to reconsider because he is about 15 minutes nearer to my home...and he was rude to me because I even asked! :(

A couple of weeks later I walked into the "no deals" shop one day to get some line for my weed whacker and the guy saw my new rig in the parking lot and asked "Where did you get your Lazer and why didn't you buy it from me?"

I told him: "Simple, the other dealer bought me the trailer to go with it."

His face was dry...especially when he found out that I got the mulch kit and other goodies too...with CASH! :D

Hey , we all have profit margins to worry about-not just the dealers.

Price shopping is just the wise thing to do...as long as you don't forget to check into the 'service/repair' area as well.

My dealer gets all of my business (and referrals) as far as my machine is concerned, filters,oil, blades, etc. I will be buying a Ultra-Vac from him next year too. And, hopefully a Exmark walk-behind for those 'gated' backyards. If he carried RedMax I would buy my power stuff from him too...as I want to see him succeed and grow his business too.

He saw fit to deal with me to get my business...and now I return the favor.

Now, I don't think it's my 'right' to get a discount...but it is my 'right ' to get the best deal possibly can...and it never hurts to ask.

DanG
10-11-2001, 05:07 PM
I buy my equipment at a dealer that isn't that closest to my place.(Menands Hardware in Menands,NY)
Or sometimes I deal with Bob's Lawn & garden in Chatham, NY if I 'm down that way and need parts.

I've had pretty good luck dealing with them except for sometimes not being able to get parts quickly but thats not their fault it's the wharehouses most of the time

I've even had them loan me other mowers when one of mines down and they've also let me demo other brands( they sell Toro, Exmark, and Scag)

As far as most dealers around here if your equipment breaks down & is covered under warrenty they'll fix it even if you didn't buy it there.

Dan G.

lawnboy82
10-11-2001, 08:16 PM
Grassroots- As far as your price problem goes, that is a part of business, they have to make money, and so do you.

Now as for their reference to Jews being cheap, in a very negative way. I shall go tomorow night and pray to Hashem that their dealership somehow burn to the ground. :D

kutnkru
10-12-2001, 02:53 PM
I have not read the posts here thoroghly as I will just put in my own .02 here. YES we all like to banter and get a deal from our equip shops.

HOWEVER,

Has anyone thought to consider that possibly as a SMALL shop he is not in the same category as the bigger guys and cannot do biz for less???

He could be a sob like some of the dealers here, but if he has bills to pay Im sure he gets tired of guys trying to widdle out of buying products at retail - just like we're tired of these jerks advertising $18 cut on $45 properties.

Just my nickle here.
Kris

Flex-Deck
10-12-2001, 10:51 PM
I have never dealt with anyone except my closest dealer because I want SERVICE. When I buy something I have an idea as to what list is and am willing to pay what is fair. (No Trade - I expect something off, but I also know that if he does not make any money he may not be there when I need him). Still own the 1988 332 diesel with 4500+ hrs on it, and it runs like a charm so I have since bought 3 used 455's (anywhere from 1 to 2 yrs old when purchased) and have never traded, but I hear from people that drive to 10 dealers and spend 400 miles and three days to save $500. If I am the close dealer to that guy that bought 2 counties away and I had two people needing service at the same time and one bought from me, who do you think gets the service first. On the other hand I feel good about going to my dealer since I don't do a bunch of shopping, and if it is critical that I need something done, he does it. I also have had many times when it was not a big deal and I let them know that a couple of days is OK.

lawnman_scott
10-14-2001, 08:36 PM
This threadd was started, telling that they wanted to buy two mowers. I have gotten estimates for poeple with 2 or 3 properties that wanted a deal. What sence does this make? Lose money on 2 or 3 instead of making money on one? Seems like the same type of situation to me.

John from OH
10-14-2001, 09:30 PM
I maybe the worst businessman in history, but when I buy equipment, I get to know the dealers first. Then I decide which dealer gets my business. The lowest price is not always the best deal. I've been in this business for about 2 decades and have heard all the dealer's stories about the mowing contractors that have come and gone. I pay the dealer the price that he asks for since I know the dealer will be fair with me, just as I expect my customers to pay the price that I asking. Guess who gets the quickest service and loaners when equipment is down? I have seen my competitiors equipment sit in dealer's repair shops for weeks in spring as I drop a unit off and load a loaner on my trailer. We all talk about the PITA customers, guess who is a PITA to a dealer? If you think the dealer or any other supplier is taking you for a ride, by all means find another one. If the dealer is providing outstanding service, loaners, and other benefits after the sale, hold on to them. Develop a relationship with your suppliers just like you would your clients. I have found out that good dealers and other suppliers will make you more money in the long run with outstanding service than you will ever save by trying to get them to give you a "Deal" upfront.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
10-15-2001, 05:43 AM
i shop around for the best price. i almost never pay retail for
anything.my last walk behind i drove 2 hours just to save $450.00
i don't care about service ,i can fix almost anything on the machine
i did ask , if he would ship any warranty parts out and he did.if i was buying two mowers i would negotiate something.i course i would be respectfull & polite.business is business. you guys where right by walking away. take care.