PDA

View Full Version : alrighty, grass gobbler or accelerator???

lovdasnow
02-15-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm buying a exmark turf tracer hp 36" mower, and need a catcher. The accelerator is only $50-100 more than the grass gobbler, please tell me why I should buy the accelerator. :)
One reason I can see would be the rust issue. aluminum doesn't rust last time I checked. Durability? capacity? ease of use? price?
any info would be appreciated.
thanks jon

Carolina Cutter
02-15-2005, 09:13 AM
I have had my grass gobbler for the past season and it saw a lot of use and therer is no rust. I keep my equipment clean and stored dry though. The reason I went with the gobbler is that it is steel. I know how to weld so if something broke I can easily fix it. I only weld steel cause I use a flux-core welder.

PeterA
02-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general search in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

2) Better handle design (important on something you are lifting all day!)

3) Rust free materials

4) Easy on-off pivoting back door (you don't have to remove the back door to empty the catcher- it just pivots open)

5) Excellent product support by our company

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

Harder to repair (we can help you here with repair materials and a rivit kit if you need it).

All in all I would say that the grass gobbler is a fine product made by an excellent company (Wright MFG). You just have to weigh the factors out for your own situation. Hopefully you will choose our catcher.

BlueSpruce
02-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I have both Steel Grass Goblers and Aluminum Accelerator catchers and I can tell you there is no comparison. The Accelarator weighs half as much and hold more clippings/ leaves. It save time and effort and is well worth the extra money.

locutus
02-15-2005, 05:06 PM
As an owner of an Accelerator XL catcher, I can say that it is highly unlikely that you will need have one repaired. I have hit more than one unseen obstacle with mine that made my wb mower come to a dead stop. Small insignificant dent was the only damage. Accelerators are built for the long haul. Get yours and wave good-by to the competition.

Locutus is an uncompensated endorser of Accelerator products.

Turf Dancer
02-15-2005, 05:17 PM
I would say get an Accelerator for many reasons including everything Peter said as well as the following.

1. You are in an area with a lot of rainfall and wet weather, you will need to clean whichever catcher you choose often and the Accelarator will not rust as a steel catcher will especially if you powerwash them.

2. They are build very well and will take more abuse than people think, I have dropped the one I have and not damaged it, I have had it bounce off the mower in the trailer because I did not tie it down and no damage, the one probelm I did have was a weld broke loose after the mower getting away in the trailer and smashed into the side of the trailer. This is a well built grass catcher not an aluminum can it can and will hold up.

3. Peter and his staff are the greatest if you ever do have a problem he will stand behind his product and do whatever he can to get the problem taken care of.

4. You would be supporting a Northwest Company!

Hope this helps!

GreenMonster
02-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I have a grass gobbler now, which works fine. But, I would be inclined to buy an accelerator next time, mainly for the aluminum weight reduction and no rust.

Soupy
02-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general serch in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

3) Rust free materials

4) Easy on-off pivoting back door (you don't have to remove the back door to empty the catcher- it just pivots open)

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

Harder to repair (we can help you here with repair materials and a rivit kit if you need it).

All in all I would say that the grass gobbler is a fine product made by an excellent company (Wright MFG). You just have to weigh the factors out for your own situation. Hopefully you will choose our catcher.

I don't use baggers, but I want to commend you on a first class post. Not only did you include drawbacks on your product, but you spoke highly of your competition. That shows you have class and believe in your product. If I ever find the need for a bagger for my 36" Toro I will defiantly give your product a try.

lovdasnow
02-15-2005, 05:33 PM
well, you convinced me, when I buy the mower in the next couple weeks, I'll be picking up an accelerator.
thanks a lot. Jon Pynch

J.Gordon
02-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general search in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

3) Rust free materials

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

I would add to #5-Excellent product support by our company (WORLD CLASS COMPANY!)
You will not find better support from any other company in the industry!

I liked your post Peter! Especially the part with bold print!
Jeff

lovdasnow
03-19-2005, 04:00 AM
thanks guys, bought it today! love it, mowed with it for only a little bit, but it is much lighter than a steel catcher, and it sure does pack the grass.
thanks again..jon

mkwl
10-10-2005, 06:13 PM
I have had my grass gobbler for the past season and it saw a lot of use and therer is no rust. I keep my equipment clean and stored dry though. The reason I went with the gobbler is that it is steel. I know how to weld so if something broke I can easily fix it. I only weld steel cause I use a flux-core welder.

Yup, I agree, I've got 2 Jumbo Grass Gobblers, and I love them! They're super durable, and can be easily repaired! I'd HIGHLY recommend Grass Gobbler catchers!

LawnBoy89
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I haven't actually used mine yet, since I really only use it for leaves, but I'll tell ya what, you can't find a lighter and easier to use cathcher out there.

khutch
11-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I have dropped my Accelerator off a moving truck, not once, but twice I am sad to say....
Badly dented, but does not affect performance.
I have backed it against the shop wall, same thing, dented, but it still works exactly as designed.
I am grateful for the abuse it has taken and would certainly buy another one.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Ok, I have a question for yall that own them and for Peter also. I have a toro pro line wb with a SFS 52'' deck. Does the catcher work good on that model?, the SFS deck doesnt seem to have a lot of umph when side discharging so does it pack leaves and grass very well
wayne

PeterA
11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
How old is your Toro? They changed the design about 4 years ago. The newer decks bag much better than the older models.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-21-2005, 07:00 AM
How old is your Toro? They changed the design about 4 years ago. The newer decks bag much better than the older models.
I purchased it in march of 2002 and the dealer received alot of mowers at the same time, it wasnt a left over on his floor from 2001. Not sure what the warehouse may of sent but I presume its a 2002 model
wayne

PeterA
11-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Wayne,
We have sold quite a few catchers for these newer superflow decks. I have had no complaints so far about it's ability to fill the bag. It does concern me a bit that your mower does not throw the grass very far. It is only about 3 feet to the back of the catcher, but you need a good discharge force to fill every corner of the bagger. Are you perhaps using a mulching blade on your mower? The best configuration for bagging is to use a high lift blade on the spindle nearest to the catcher (the other ones can be mulching or lower lift blades). You might also want to check your belt tension, if it is slipping a bit the blade rpm will be low. Give me a call if you have any questions.

grass_cuttin_fool
11-22-2005, 07:44 AM
The stock blades that came with the mower are not very good and dont seem to be high lift.Matter as a fact the have almost no lift. When I purchased the mower the dealer gave me a set ot toro mulchers which I think cut very poor in any condition. The best balde I have found so far for the mower are Grass hogs mulching blades and thats what I use mainly. I was comparing the discharge of the toro to my scag tiger cub and it doesnt compare. With a little blade research I think the catcher would work ok. Im thinking of adding a catcher next year to my equipment list and I will keep you in mind when I purchase.
thanx
Wayne

padrefargo
11-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Interesting issue I noticed with my Accelerator. I bought it new this year and had nothing but good experiences with it until this month when I noticed that the door on the back of the catcher simply does not shut. Before that point the door had opened and closed flawlessly, then suddenly it doesn't shut -- almost as if my doors got changed out with someone else -- pretty strange.

I am not a professional, not in this business, this is my personal mower and catcher I use on my own lawn. Don't know if it's relevant, but it's on a JD 717A.

Any ideas or suggestions? I can take pics of the "unfit" if it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Randall:confused:

PeterA
11-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi Randall,

Sorry I did not post here sooner- been busy with the holiday! At any rate, your door is probably "cocked" a bit, due to an impact on the catcher somewhere. When you try to shut the door, it probably is hitting one side or the other of the frame. Just open the door about 2 inches (at the base), stick a bar or some sort into the side that is too far over, and give it a good yank towards the center of the door. This will bring it back into alignment. If the problem is at the base, take the door off and use the handle end of a steel hammer to give one sharp rap to the bottom of the frame (this will bend it down just a bit). Give us a call if you need any other help.

padrefargo
11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Sounds easy enough... I will give this a try.

Thanks for your response!http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

LPocharski
11-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I have posted a thread for info on accelerator or grass gobbler for a wright stander 48" RH. (preowned) After readind the comments, Accelerator is the clear choice for me. Lou P.

PeterA
11-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Lou. Our company's goal is to make the very best catcher we possibly can. It costs a few extra bucks, but there is always a market for quality, even in tough times. Call us directly if you have any problems or questions.

LPocharski
11-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanx----I will give you a call later this week. L.

Turfdude
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
For one man shows - the accelerator hands down. We run multiple crews w/ many operators. Grass gobblers last forever (many years) and if need to be welded, not too difficult. Accelerators - welds don't hold up as well (especially on door), they tend to get stress cracks more - require a special welder (we don't have and neither does our dealer). Cost difference gg jumbo around $220, accelerator around $420. After 2 years, 1 accelerator dead beyond repair and second one in poor shape. My gobblers have always held up better, but are definately much heavier. I love the handle and door design of the accelerator as compared to gobbler. GG has re-designed door closure & there are no more corners that collect debris that constantly need cleaning. I've been using walk-behinds since the late80's and thats my $.02
Thanx
Bob

Ben's Landscape
07-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I have looked into the accelorator catchers. I really want one they seem very strong for what i do as being an owner operator. But I used to work at an aluminum shop and atleast 1-3 times a week a local bigger landscaper was there getting the bagger re welded or repaired in some way. I recently bought a 36 toro proline and it came with a grass gobbler catcher and I have to say I am very pleased with it. It seems to be very strong and well built. I like the full open door to empty the catcher also. Just my opinion but from the price difference I think I am going to be staying with the Grass Gobbler.