PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy Corn Gluten Meal Online?

GeoPappas
02-15-2005, 05:19 AM
Greetings.

I have spent the last two days trying to find corn gluten meal (CGM)(for a pre-emergent against crabgrass). There are only one or two local places that carry the CGM in a repackaged lawncare product that sells for about $25 for a 25 lb. bag. I would prefer to buy the product itself, rather than a repackaged lawncare product since the repackaging will just raise the cost (since there is another middleman to deal with).

I have called the local extension office, State Dept. of Agriculture, NC State, nurseries, hardware stores, etc. to no avail. This stuff is harder to find than a needle in a haystack!

I also checked the web, but the only hits that I get are for www.bluegrassorganic.com and www.GardensAlive.com (and a bunch of websites touting how good organic lawncare can be). Both of these sites only sell CGM in repackaged lawncare products.

Does anyone know of a website where I can just get the feed itself for a decent price?

FYI: I need a 50 lb. bag of CGM.

pema
02-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Try www.allstarTrading.com. I haven't used them but got a flier in the mail a week ago. I'm fortunate enough to have a retailer nearby that sells CGM to me at cost plus 10%. You might find a distributer for All Star Trading nearby.

slib-q
02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
What are you paying for the CGM in Cincinnati?

ed2hess
02-16-2005, 09:16 PM
You need to find you a feed store it...usually $7 a bag. The problem comes if you want it in a pretty package with all the legal stuff on it. Apparently there aren't a lot of companies with that distribution.

GeoPappas
02-17-2005, 08:04 AM
You need to find you a feed store it...usually $7 a bag.

I have already tried all of the local feed stores. Most of them never heard of CGM, let alone carry it.

What is CGM normally used for? Is it used as a feed? If so, for what types of animals?

Mowingman
02-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Plenty available here in North Texas. It was really hyped as a great thing for a while. However, after people paid big bucks to buy the stuff for a few years, they found it is pretty much worthless at preventing weeds. Hardly anyone uses it here anymore.Everyone has stacks of bags gathering dust. If you have a semi truck, I can get you all you want to haul back and you can sell it to the gullible folks over there.
Really, if you are desperate to get it, PM me and I can give you a phone number of my friend who owns a farm supply store here. I think he can even arrainge for a semi to deliver it to you.

GeoPappas
02-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Plenty available here in North Texas. It was really hyped as a great thing for a while. However, after people paid big bucks to buy the stuff for a few years, they found it is pretty much worthless at preventing weeds. Hardly anyone uses it here anymore.Everyone has stacks of bags gathering dust. If you have a semi truck, I can get you all you want to haul back and you can sell it to the gullible folks over there.
Really, if you are desperate to get it, PM me and I can give you a phone number of my friend who owns a farm supply store here. I think he can even arrainge for a semi to deliver it to you.

Mowingman:

Thanks for trying to hijaak my thread and turn it into an argument, but no thanks. As I posted in the beginning of this thread, I AM LOOKING FOR A WEBSITE THAT CAN PROVIDE A 50 LB. BAG OF PLAIN OLD CGM (NOT A REPACKAGED LAWNCARE PRODUCT).

Everyone else:

Please don't turn this thread into an argument about the pros and cons of CGM used as a pre-emergent. There are already plenty of threads out there that do this very well.

pema
02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
What are you paying for the CGM in Cincinnati?
I don't buy much, only a few customers who "Insist" get a GCM treatment. I don't buy direct from a supplier so my price has middleman expenses in it so for a 50lb bag, I pay around $20.00.

I've had reasonable results with using CGM it's just with the rates you have to apply it is almost impractical for a commercial applicator. You would need a 20 ton semi to do your routes. Also the high levels of nitrogen applied so early in the spring gives me the willy's.

Mowingman
02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Sorry, I must have hit a nerve there, just poking a little fun at you organic guys. However, my friend does get the stuff right from a mill here in town. It is not the repackaged stuff that you pay high price for at the stores. He was selling it by the pallet, at some reasonable prices to the landscapers before they quit using it. His price will likely be as good or better than any "online" supply house. He just likes to sell with a more personal method, like the old fashioned phone, or face to face. Not all the best deals are found "online".

Dchall_San_Antonio
02-20-2005, 10:48 PM
It's a dollar a pound in bulk in my area. Best prices I've heard of are in Ohio and Kentucky. I've heard of $7 per hundred pounds. Shipping will kill you.

I've heard of two different names and don't know the difference. I've heard of corn gluten meal and corn gluten feed. I have to do some more research. Some of the Dallas-based organic crowd swear that the corn gluten feed is worthless. I'm not convinced.

EverLasting
02-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I know that www.environmentalfactor.com ships to CDn & the US. Have you tried them?

We buy our pre-emergent through www.ecochem.com. It's called TK-10. The price depends on the market & quanity. Last quote (not including shipping, and was in Oct '04) was about $30.00cdn/22 kg bag.

Clayton

Bob E
02-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I know this does not answer your question about buying on line, but I just called a local feed supplier here and asked for CGM. He said he had never heard of it but would call his supplier to see if he could get it.

He called back in less than 10 minutes and told me it would be $8.00 for a 50# bag.

Just FYI he also had soybean meal at $10.95 for a 50 # bag.

I will be picking up both next week.

gilbertm15
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I first started using CGM in Texas and those replies from there are right for that area. Unfortunately on the East Coast Organics are not as popular as they are in Texas.

When I lived in Knoxville, TN I couldn't find CGM or other organic implements. I did find a organic farm near Roanoke, VA that will sell to you at reasonable prices. I believe I bought 50# bags of CGM. Here is the web site and they have their price list on the site. http://www.7springsfarm.com/ I think it is well worth the drive. I live in Concord, NC now.

They also sell to other organic farmers and will often use them as a distributor. If they have one near your area they will make arrangements to pick up your order for you. There was a farmer south of Knoxville that I used and it was convenient when I couldn't make the trip to VA and stock up. I'm not sure if they have anyone in this part of NC but it's worth the call.

Good Luck.

nocutting
11-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Greetings.

I have spent the last two days trying to find corn gluten meal (CGM)(for a pre-emergent against crabgrass). There are only one or two local places that carry the CGM in a repackaged lawncare product that sells for about $25 for a 25 lb. bag. I would prefer to buy the product itself, rather than a repackaged lawncare product since the repackaging will just raise the cost (since there is another middleman to deal with).

I have called the local extension office, State Dept. of Agriculture, NC State, nurseries, hardware stores, etc. to no avail. This stuff is harder to find than a needle in a haystack!

I also checked the web, but the only hits that I get are for www.bluegrassorganic.com and www.GardensAlive.com (and a bunch of websites touting how good organic lawncare can be). Both of these sites only sell CGM in repackaged lawncare products.

Does anyone know of a website where I can just get the feed itself for a decent price?

FYI: I need a 50 lb. bag of CGM.
What you're talkin is a Feed ingrediant......find a grain mill......find the closest farm thar grows corn in your area and find the mill he goes to......"Its that Simple"............:alien: :waving:

green_mark
11-09-2005, 11:35 AM
www.thegreenguardian.com

$12.00/bag plus freight. Min 50 bag orders.

651-295-8388

Talon
11-12-2005, 06:55 PM
I get it for a buck a kilogram, no tax on full skid orders. But this is up near Brampton in Ontario.

Global Organic
11-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Apply in spring and fall at 20 lbs per 1000 sq ft and it works well BUT don't plan on overseeding as it stops all seeds from germinating. And it will build up in the soil in time. Great for gardens and flower beds!!!!!!
Go to LogicAlliance.ca/turf/?products contact them. They sell it and will ship it over to you or may have a contact in the USA