PDA

View Full Version : commercial plate guide line?

fga
02-15-2005, 11:09 AM
i was looking to not letter my pick up, just the trailer. i am going to leave my passenger plates on my truck because it has to be parked on the street, i have no room. also, it's my everyday truck.
i found in my closet vinyl lettering i never used from last year. i had it custome done, then brought it ome to install myself on my dump truck. if i put the name of my company, along the top of the windshield, (you know, where people put performance stickers..), would be open to summonses for not having commercial plates. i can't see getting a fine while i'm driving without the trailer, but with the lettered trailer, they may give me a hard time. what do you think? there will be no phone number on the truck at all either, all on the trailer.

Lux Lawn
02-15-2005, 12:17 PM
i was looking to not letter my pick up, just the trailer. i am going to leave my passenger plates on my truck because it has to be parked on the street, i have no room. also, it's my everyday truck.
i found in my closet vinyl lettering i never used from last year. i had it custome done, then brought it ome to install myself on my dump truck. if i put the name of my company, along the top of the windshield, (you know, where people put performance stickers..), would be open to summonses for not having commercial plates. i can't see getting a fine while i'm driving without the trailer, but with the lettered trailer, they may give me a hard time. what do you think? there will be no phone number on the truck at all either, all on the trailer.

Are you not getting the commercial plates to keep the cost down?I agree without the trailer you would probably never get a ticket but if something ever happened with the trailer hooked up the might notice regular plates.

fga
02-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Are you not getting the commercial plates to keep the cost down?I agree without the trailer you would probably never get a ticket but if something ever happened with the trailer hooked up the might notice regular plates.
nah, the costs are relatively the same. only extra is they charge you a fee according to you weight capacity. on a pick up truck... 150 series.. it'd be about an extra $30.
it's more the parking, that's the one thing these parking cops live for. if you park any commmercial vehicle on the street, for a certaina mount of time (like 6 hours), or overnight... they get you with a $150 fine. my old box truck broke down in front of my house... go 2 tickets in 3 days :realmad:
it's easy money for the city, little effort on their part.
plus, this is my personal get around truck. to take to local parks recreation areas. commercial plates can not enter beach areas, park areas, etc.

i notice the avatar..... that thread gets dicey! bring the guns. :waving:

Lux Lawn
02-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds to me like its not worth the fines then..I would go without the name on the windshield keep the plates as is either way you take a chance of getting a ticket but your chance's a probably greater parked at night with nothing behind it.