PDA

View Full Version : Hustler vs SCAG for residential purposes?

mloolara
02-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I am in the market to purchase a ZTR and had decided on a SCAG Tiger Cub. However, I spoke to a distributor of ZTR and he infromed me that my situation might be better suited for a Hustler mower instead of the SCAG. I will be cutting around 4 acres a week and the price on the Tiger Cub with a 19 HP, financed, is $6799 +9% sales tax. I know nothing about the Hustler mowers but could anyone that uses them tell me if I should consider them. Also, could you suggest a comparable mower to the Tiger Cub and what the running prices are for them. Thanks in advance!

chimmygew
02-15-2005, 12:24 PM
what size deck on the scag?

shivelyt
02-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I think most major brands are good machines. You basically get what you pay for. I will say from experience to stay away from the integrated zero turn [IZT] hydraulic units. They will not hold up on any hilly conditions. At about $1000.00 a pop, they get a little expensive to replace. I replaced three of them all under warranty.

mloolara
02-15-2005, 12:31 PM
The Tiger Cub that I priced was a 48 inch deck with a 19 HP Kawasaki engine for $6,799 + 9% sales tax. I would love to save as much money as possible; however, I am not looking to buy something on the real cheap now that won't last mong so this is an investment that I want to last. I am good about taking care of my stuff so all required preventative maintence will be done along with keeping the deck (both top and botto) clean. By the way, I am in Louisiana and have no hills to worry about so the biggest obstacle to my cutting will be is semi-wet conditions down here.

Shady Brook
02-15-2005, 12:40 PM
In the past couple years they were offering the 48/19 for $5995. I think I would wait to see if they offer that special again. Usually manufacturers will offer great financing deals in the winter with a higher sale price, to then shift to a lower sale price in the spring. I don't know if they will offer such a good price this year considering steel costs.

Are you just mowing your own property?

I own a 52/23 Scag cub, and have had other Scag z's in the past. I also have a Hustler Super Z, and there is no comparison. The Hustler quality, speed, comfort, and warranty are vastly superior to the Cub. The Super really should be compared to the Tiger, but the Cub cuts every bit as well as the Tiger, and comfort will not be that much better. With the Super Z you get a suspension seat where it is an expensive upgrade on the Tiger or Cub.

No mowers do great in wet conditions, but from my experience an Exmark Lazer, or Toro with Turboforce deck would likely be your best bet because of deck design. For overall features I still think the Hustler is the best.

Something to consider if you have a Lesco near you, they have 25 horse 60" Z's for 5995. That is an outstanding price, and still a quality machine that would last a homeowner cutting 4 acres a week a lifetime.

Good luck

jayandlo
02-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Take a look at the Ferris IS 1500Z. It'll probably run you about $1200.00 less than the Scag. You'll also be able to cut faster due to the smoother ride provided by the Active Performance Suspension.

Shady Brook
02-15-2005, 05:26 PM
jayandlo makes a good point if you have a Ferris dealer near you. I think they are making a 48/19, and selling it in the area of 5500? It is not a super Z, but should be a good solid productive piece and a bargain to boot.

RichmondR
02-15-2005, 05:49 PM
mloolara --

I was in your situation about 6 months ago -- considering buying a good ZTR primarily for home use to replace my JD tractor, and the two models I started considering were the Tiger Cub and a Hustler MiniZ. I also looked at Exmark, John Deere, Ferris and Toro. BTW, the comparable models to the Tiger Cub would generically be known as "mid-size" or "compact size," ZTRs. The guys on this board were really helpful in answering questions, but there was one theme in most all of the responses -- there is no substitute for demoing the units you are considering, preferably on your property. If you can't demo them, at least go spend a lot of time fiddling with the parts and take a good hard look how they are put together. I visited the dealers so many times they must have thought I was nuts (I probably am for buying a commercial ZTR for home use, but boy its a lot of fun to use it :) ).

Both of Scag and Hustler have a strong following on this board, and Hustler even has a manufacturer specific board with a representative (mowerconsultant) that is really good about answering questions. My impression in shopping these brands is that Scag tends to sell for close to MSRP whereas Hustler tends to move a bit more off MSRP; both appear to have great build quality.

I ended up getting a Toro Z-Master Z453 52"/23Kaw last fall with a mulching kit for $7000; the Z400 series was just introduced by Toro last summer and fall to replace the Z100 series; it has the new Turboforce deck which has gotten really good reviews on this board. How I ended up with the Toro is a long story, but to me it had the best combination of features for the money, and the majority of the LCOs here in Minnesota seem to use Toro. I could have very easily ended up with a Hustler Z, Exmark Lazer HP, or JD 727. I shied away form the Tiger Cub because it was just too "industrial" for my purpose. With any of these brands, you are in rarified air -- enjoy getting to know the models.

AintNoFun
02-15-2005, 07:05 PM
owned them both, as well as bobcat and grasshoper riders. hustler beats them all hands down... we have 4 hustler z's now and i plan on adding at least one more for the spring.. they are an awesome machine...

CottonPatch
02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
mloolara -

I am the SCAG and Hustler distributor rep for South Louisiana. You will not go wrong with either brand and the dealers in Baton Rouge and surrounding area will service you well. I can guarnatee you the $5999 price on a Tiger Cub will not happen anytime this year. Also, Sheffield Financial is offering 0 interest and payments till January 2006 thru the end of the month. Most of the dealers here have demonstrators and would be willing to let you try it out before you buy. Good luck and appreciate the business.
Rusty

Classic Lawn
02-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I have a 52/48'' Scag they both are great for speed and comfort. i have used Ex-mark, gravely, and bobcats i rather have a scag. i only paid 6800 for my 52'' and use the financing. no complaints from me about the scag.
jeremy

LLandscaping
02-15-2005, 08:54 PM
We have two Scag Tiger Cubs both are 48/19 Kawasaki's. One is a 2003 and the other is a 2004. The only thing we have replaced is the belts and have performed routine maintenance. I would recommend the Scag, it will provide you many years of service.

Gautreaux's LNG
02-15-2005, 10:01 PM
In the past couple years they were offering the 48/19 for $5995. I think I would wait to see if they offer that special again. Usually manufacturers will offer great financing deals in the winter with a higher sale price, to then shift to a lower sale price in the spring. I don't know if they will offer such a good price this year considering steel costs.

You won't see $5995.00 for a Tiger Cub ......

Either Hustler or Scag will suit your needs. Get off lawnsite and spend sometime with your dealer... Tryout his demo's and get a feel for the machines!

ahlab
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I was just quoted $5999 for a 48/19 Tiger cub. . .

BigMack
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
I have a mini Z and a fastrac both with 52 innc decks . Love them, make sure you have a good dealer... I have to travel hours for warrenty...