PDA

View Full Version : Restore

1MajorTom
02-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Matt has in the past used restore as an engine additive in an old truck with high miles. It seemed to work, and they say it is a proven product to restore compression in your engine cylinders. So who has ever added restore to their 4 stroke lawn mower engines? And do you feel it has made a difference?
Thanks

jpp
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Can this product be picked up at local auto parts store or is this special ordered thing? I have a mower that I would like to try this on. Thanks is advance.

JP

Lawnchoice
02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Had a wierd experience with Restore a few years ago. I used it in a 12.5 Briggs mounted on a Bolens tractor that I used to blow snow with. I used the correct amount in the case and after using it for a very very hard and heavy coastal storm the engine decided it was ready for the scrap yard and blew. The block actually cracked and seeped the oil everywhere.

Note the tractor was used and abused since the 70's and it probably just has to do with bad timing.

Funny though. My wife still laughs at me storming in to get her winter clothes on as it broke down as I was turning the thing around in the roadway in front out our house and I needed her assistance with the other tractor.

Grassmechanic
02-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Pretty much all oil additives are nothing more than "snake oil". All the additives and anti-wear agents that an engine needs are already in motor oil when it's made.