PDA

View Full Version : how much per acre$$$???

chambers 38
02-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Had a lady call me yesterday wonting to know how much per acre would I charge??
The biggest lot I mow right now is only 1/2 acre and I getting 45$ a cut for that one.
I looked at the property has lot's of trees, lot's (it's out in the county)
But Iím not sheer what to charge, Iím thinking 75$ acre?? She has 3 acre's to be mowed on one lot.
Thanks for the help

P.s. I would be doing this on a 218 grasshopper with a 48-inch

DennisF
02-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm about 100 miles north of you in Citrus County. About the most you can get up here is $45-$50 per acre for anything under 5 acres. Over 5 acres and the price drops to $40 per acre. There are guys here that specialize in wide area mowing using large mowers and they usually control the prices for mowing anything over about 2 acres. I don't mess with anything over 2 acres for that reason.

The landscaper
02-15-2005, 06:58 PM
We had a thread similar yesterday and it seemed to be around 50-60 an acre.

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
You guys arent going to make anything mowing for 50 bucks an acre. After taxes and expenses, you'll be making around 25 to 30 dollars. Maybe less with the equipment your running.

jtkplc
02-15-2005, 08:00 PM
How long is the acre taking you guys to mow, trim and blow on average?

Flex-Deck
02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm about 100 miles north of you in Citrus County. About the most you can get up here is $45-$50 per acre for anything under 5 acres. Over 5 acres and the price drops to $40 per acre. There are guys here that specialize in wide area mowing using large mowers and they usually control the prices for mowing anything over about 2 acres. I don't mess with anything over 2 acres for that reason.

Well said Dennis - Some of us are set up for lots of acres - Still, the price per acre is set by what the consumers in an area pay. As an LCO - I have to figure out a way to get more done per dollar that is outlayed for machinery.
That is how the ol' profit margin grows big time.

butler L&S
02-16-2005, 01:57 AM
I do several properties between 2-5 acres and the price ends up being anywhere from $60-$100 per acre. It depends a lot on how the property is layed out. I would look for a bigger mower if you want to do properties over an acre and make decent money. A 48" is not productive enough in my opinion.

jayandlo
02-16-2005, 02:11 PM
I charge $60.00 / acre. I'll adjust upward if there is a lot of trimming but never downward. Don't worry about what others are charging. Determine what you need to be profitable. If you are getting $45.00 for 1/2 acre, don't short change yourself on a full acre.
Don't worry about having a 48". Just bid the job. You'll make plenty of profit if you bid properly. You'll cut out load and unload time as well as drive time to the next property by taking on larger accounts. Then you can get the larger equipment once you've acquired several large acre accounts.

chambers 38
02-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Thank you all.
I bid on the property earlier tonight and will see how it goes (no answer)

Thanks again
Gil