PDA

View Full Version : Back Pack Vs. Hand held

Grass Busters Inc.
02-15-2005, 06:34 PM
I need to pick up a few new prices of equipment this spring. Some of the lucky items are a few blowers. What do you prefer? Hand held or Back pack? Are the Back Pack ones worth 2 or 3 times the price?

2nd, what is your favorite model/brand?

Thank you,
- Eric

locutus
02-15-2005, 06:40 PM
For simply blowing off a patio or stoop, a hand-held should be fine. I have a feeling however that if you need more than one blower, you are doing enough work to justify the more powerful and efficient backpack blowers. If you do any leaf work at all, the are indespensible. I use the Redmax 7001rh and hand-helds only for my house and as backups.

green with envy
02-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I like to keep both in the trailer. If it's a small area I don't want to strap on the backpack. Just a little bit of time and labor savings.

My 2 cents.

Mike

newbomb
02-15-2005, 06:56 PM
If you need blowers and you are doing any amount of work, if your serious about mowing buy BACKPACK blowers. They're fast and powerful. They are a must for leaves and fall cleanup as well as cleaning beds for mulch.

I like echo and Stihl. These I am familiar with. I hear good things on this site about Redmax, but have never used one. As for model no. I would get the most powerful you can afford. There is no such thing as to much power in a blower.

-Paul

DennisF
02-15-2005, 07:09 PM
A backpack blower will cut your clean-up time considerably and will pay for itself in a month or two, just from the time saved. Look at Stihl and large Echo models (PB 750). The Stihl BR 420 is an excellent lightweight backpack blower that is great for cleaning up after mowing. I have a Stihl BR-400 that is 6 years old and runs like a new one. For heavy clean-ups the big Echo's are my choice.

N.H.BOY
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I have an Echo back pack works great. I have never owned a handheld. I have used one, never did like them. Strap on the ol back and go. I just like the idea of having your hands free to move objects around, rather than droping the handheld. Just IMO

Fareway Lawncare
02-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Handhelds are For Girls.

There really is No Instance where a HH is Faster.

Even if its Light Stuff You Walk Less w/BP's.

Mark McC
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Handhelds are For Girls.

Fareway, are the most macho guy on lawnsite or what? Handhelds are for girls. Puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeze.

locutus
02-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Handhelds are For Girls.

Even if its Light Stuff You Walk Less w/BP's.Fareway and his inflamatory posts and replies. You've just got to love it.

Canada is for girls. I get the feeling that if the Canadian PM decided that all Candian males should be castrated, Fareway would be the first to lay his tic-tacs on the chopping block.

Fareway Lawncare
02-15-2005, 07:44 PM
When I first Started I had a Couple Girls Working for Me...Won't do that Again...Girls don't Belong in the Green Industry....at least doing the Grunt Labour.

The Girls Complained about the BP's...Their Backs Hurt..Their Breasts were in the Way & always used an old HH I had from my Scrub Days.

lawnman_scott
02-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Handhelds are For Girls.

You walk less with "those silly small riders" too, but you prefer a walkbehind or 21.

MP350
02-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Backpack blower versus hand held is like hand held versus push broom.

locutus
02-15-2005, 07:50 PM
When I first Started I had a Couple Girls Working for Me...Won't do that Again...Girls don't Belong in the Green Industry....at least doing the Grunt Labour.

The Girls Complained about the BP's...Their Backs Hurt..Their Breasts were in the Way & always used an old HH I had from my Scrub Days.The above statement is quite divergent from your previous chest-thumping protestations concerning tolerance and diversity. The Emperor indeed has no clothes as witnessed by your obvious sexist statements. Apparently the only place Canadian women have in your "mosaic" is in the kitchen.

Dont hurt em Locutus!

Grass Busters Inc.
02-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys :waving:

nriddle77
02-15-2005, 08:40 PM

The Girls Complained about the BP's...Their Backs Hurt..Their Breasts were in the Way & always used an old HH I had from my Scrub Days.

You're in the way, you complain, and you are a scrub. :D

TMlawncare
02-15-2005, 11:08 PM
What we have found over the years, backpacks are the only choice for leaf cleanup or big accounts with a lot of blowing. Small commercial and residencial, use the handhelds. We use a couple Redmax 2300's and they work great. Its a lot quicker to blow off a small drive and walk with a handheld then it is to pull the backpack monster off the rack, on you back (20lbs) to blow for two minutes. Use that backpack on 18 accounts and you will start thinking "why wouldn't the handheld (6lbs) work for this." Just something to think about. Also if you buy a handheld make sure you purchase a highend commercial unit - Redmax or shindaiwa are the only two I would consider.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Of course their breasts hurt youíre the same guy that made them work topless. Probably chafes them pretty bad not to mention how cold it is up there.

Jason Rose
02-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Well call me a girl. I have a BP and handheld. the backpack gets used only wher I am cleanging leaves out of beds and what not. I can grab my hand held and start it while walking to where I need to be blow off the walk and drive, kill it, and drop it back into it's holder in the time it takes to just start and strap on the back pack. Blowing power is not even an issue when cleaning up some trimmings left on the concrete. Many times on longer driveways I will fire up the blower before I load the ztr and ride and blow as fast as it will drive. It's sad that you have to strap a high horsepower machine on to your back to be a man. Must be some fascination with that big tube hanging out there in front. Use what works for you in the situation you are in. don't let someone convince you that you are not a man to use a handheld. geeze, come on kid, you wanna try this drug, it's real good! come one, you girl, do it, do it. And, you may want to watch the girl comments there Fareway there seems to be a number of them on here and last time I looked this was 2005. Women are not supposed oppressed in this country any longer.