PDA

View Full Version : Standers vs. ztr sitting...Which is better?

SouthernYankee
02-15-2005, 08:04 PM
In terms of fatigue what is a better way to go? Is the stander harder on the body than a ztr? I have never run a stander, so I dont know about them and I would like to know more.

jtkplc
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I have spent alot of hours on a 52" Wright Stander and I own a Gravely 260Z. I can tell you that the stander really jars you around. The smaller tires on the stander add to the bumpiness. I wish the stander had some way of absorbing impact on the footplate you stand on, sort of like a suspension seat. I can't speak for any other Z, but from my experience, sitting down isn't nearly as taxing on the body.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
John deere standers and great dane standers have a platform you stand on with 6 springs under it. Makes the ride easier on the operator.

Shady Brook
02-15-2005, 10:58 PM
My back aches pretty bad after a short time on a stander, but never hurts on my Z's. Get a suspension seat on the rider, and you will be very happy!

butler L&S
02-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I run both and like to change things up. I will stand on some properties and sit on others. I find that the Stander is genarally better for tighter spots and the Lazer is faster on larger more open areas.

Itsgottobegreen
02-16-2005, 12:40 AM
I have a bad back (suck at the young age of 19). I can't ride on a ztr for more than an hour or so. Since when you sit down your back is bent. So all the pressure is put on that point of your back. Which equals pain. Were as the stander you are standing, your back is straight. So the pressure on the back is applied evenly. But the your feel hurt, but a nice set of hiking boots will take care of that. I am not any more tired riding a stander all day that I would be riding a ztr (if i could). :p

terracare
02-16-2005, 12:02 PM
We demo'ed a 36 inch stander and didn't really like it. It costs just as much as a ZTR. We ended up getting a gravely 34z for our gated accounts.

Todd

gogetter
02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
I recall a member that used some sort of dense foam rubber matting on their sulky. I see no reason something like this couldn't be used on the Stander platform too.

locutus
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
My back problems disappeared when I switched to a WB with a velke. A lot less fatigue at the end of the day, which sounds odd considering that you are standing most of that time. I cant explain it.

Yard Perfect
02-16-2005, 08:20 PM
If quality of life and longevity is important, than I suggest that you walk. I have 80 weeklies, I am 57 and refuse to walk or sit. Maybe I should add that at 57 I have yet to miss my first day of work as an adult. Keep moving, the money will take care of itself and who knows you might live longer.

lawnman_scott
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
I think its personal preference, because I know for a fact how much better I felt after i got my exmark and got rid of my stander.

chefdrp
02-16-2005, 09:18 PM
for me i get a back ache when i use my 737. I dont when i use my w/b with sulkey.

impactlandscaping
02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Every machine has it's specific purpose. I liked my Z, but love my Standers. It's all a matter of preference as others have said. I used to get cramped form sitting on the Z for 2-3 hours at a time, but don't really notice fatigue as much on the Wright.Whatever works for each person is the best,IMO..

GreenMonster
02-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I used to get cramped form sitting on the Z for 2-3 hours at a time, but don't really notice fatigue as much on the Wright.

No monkey ass and/or crotch rot from the stander either. :drinkup:

Don't worry Adam, I won't even get started on potatoes.

J.Gordon
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
My back problems disappeared when I switched to a WB with a velke. A lot less fatigue at the end of the day, which sounds odd considering that you are standing most of that time. I cant explain it.

Switchless told me why he thought the Zís made your back hurt was because you donít have any support to brace yourself against, (like a steering wheel.) You have to use the muscles in our lower back to keep from bouncing all over the place. It made since to me. I know when I was finished mowing my place (About four hours) on a Z with a suspension seat my back was killing me. I can mow the same place with my Super walk-behind and BullRider my back doesnít hurt at all. And I have a lot more energy when Iím finished.

Envy Lawn Service
02-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Switchless told me why he thought the Zís made your back hurt was because you donít have any support to brace yourself against, (like a steering wheel.) You have to use the muscles in our lower back to keep from bouncing all over the place. It made since to me. I know when I was finished mowing my place (About four hours) on a Z with a suspension seat my back was killing me. I can mow the same place with my Super walk-behind and BullRider my back doesnít hurt at all. And I have a lot more energy when Iím finished.

I believe this is very much true, along with the fact ZTR's are big, heavy, ride on stiff tires, buck like a bronco back and forth, and just ride like an iron war wagon in general. I also have to use my legs and feet against the foot wedge to wedge me in the seat. They are a bit more tiring to use than some might think.

But I still find them a lot less tiring than the old tractor style mower without power steering. It wears out my upper body. But that's all... and ironically, the ride is much better and my lower body doesn't get tired, nor does my back hurt.... And I also think that's because it has a steering wheel...

Legacy
02-19-2005, 05:34 PM
It really depends on your particular needs. If you have a lot of smaller yards I think that the Great Dane Super Surfer is the way to go...I have had excellent success with these units!!

If you have a lot of large wide open accounts then nothing beats an ExMark Lazer!!