PDA

View Full Version : real scrub test

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:07 PM
this is the real scrub test, it don't matter what kind of equipment you have, or wether you pull it with a brand new ford or a team of mules. answer these questions honestly: #1-do you ever allow haggling on prices? #2- do you do "favors" or little extras for free? #3- does your customer tell you not to come because it "does not need cutting"? #4- do you cut every other week? #5- if a client has a question about a lawn problem, do you ever say, "i'm not sure, i'll find out?" #6- a customer needs shrubbery, mulch, trimming, chemicals, etc...do you need to sub this out? #7- u arrive on your regular day, the client is having a party, asks you to come back tommorow, do you? #8-it is late october, the leaves are falling, the customer is unwilling to pay for leaf cleanup, but would still like the grasscut at the usual rate, do you continue to cut it? #9- do you clean leaves for grasscutting rates? #10- it rains for 5 days straight, you miss the regular service day, by the time you are able to get there, the grass is outrageously high and needs to be double , tripple, quadruple cut, do you do it for the regular price? #11- a client does not pay thier bill, you make every "orthadox" attempt to collect, still no luck, do you pursue your money like a starved mountain lion after a baby wild boar, or do you just "chalk it up to experience, and let it slide?" #12-IS THE CUSTOMER YOUR BOSS? if you answered YES to any of these questions, you must ride the little bus, i'm afraid there is no more room, on the back of the bus

locutus
02-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Where have you been Bobby?

SouthernYankee
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Bobby I have missed your posts

I remember the first or second time I went on this site and someone was telling a bobby story, and it took me a while till I found out what they were talking about. Glad to see your back

geogunn
02-15-2005, 09:17 PM
welcome back from vacation, WEASEL BOY.

GEO :)

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Where have you been Bobby?
jodi wouldn't let me post. said i was "useless" to this forum

MMLawn
02-15-2005, 09:21 PM

yeah, but that's still no reason to not let you post... :D

1MajorTom
02-15-2005, 09:24 PM

funny, but that's not true, tell them the real reason......... you were pouting cause you thought I would never talk to you again. ;)

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:28 PM
actually, i was having a party cus i thought u would never talk to me again. then the girl sends a truckload of roses for valentines day, and , well, that soft spot in my heart (it's about as big as a pinhead) , it just gave in.

Mo Green
02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
What is the point of this thread? Sounds like your just trolling for an argument. You know the ones that you get into and try to show everybody how great you are by telling them how bad they are and how wrong they are? It gets real old, real quick.

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Your darn right he's trolling for an argument. Who does he think he is calling people scrubs because they might give someone a senior discount or help someone out and not ask for anything in return. This place was alot more peaceful without you spewing your crap and insults around.

stumper1620
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
What is the point of this thread? Sounds like your just trolling for an argument. You know the ones that you get into and try to show everybody how great you are by telling them how bad they are and how wrong they are? It gets real old, real quick.

point from another thread proven!!
It only took 9 post for the attack.
funny how everybody chases bobby threads. :p
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Your darn right he's trolling for an argument. Who does he think he is telling calling people scrubs because they might give someone a senior discount or help someone out and not ask for anything in return. This place was alot more peaceful without you spewing your crap and insults around.
if you want to help someone out, and get nothing in return, then go to work at a soup kitchen. if you are running a business, and giving services away, there is room for you...on the little bus

geogunn
02-15-2005, 09:43 PM

what are you talking about? the attack was made in post #1.

GEO

olderthandirt
02-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Hey Bobby, glad to see your back. Now to answer your question
Yes I think everyone on here is a scrub if they had to answer yes to ANY of them. You do what you can and sub out what you can't and make a profit on some else's work. Yes I have set a trash can by a garage before and did not charge extra. But ride the little bus? No just call the chauffeur and have the limo pick me up, I charge enough for what I do to not have to take the little bus. And work smarter not harder and when possable get someone else to work for you :D That keeps you off any bus

Mac

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 09:45 PM
if you want to help someone out, and get nothing in return, then go to work at a soup kitchen. if you are running a business, and giving services away, there is room for you...on the little bus

If i went and worked at a soup kitchen id be feeding people like you all day. but keep the insults coming gedd, its easier having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

nitrotim
point from another thread proven!!
funny how everybody chases bobby threads. :p
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Your absolutely correct. No one hammered on Fareway for his scrub quiz. It looks like alot of people were bored when BG wasn't around and were just waiting for him to show up so they could attack.

lafrance4078
I'm not sure why me subbing out chem apps. makes me a scrub. I don't have a chem app. lic. IMO if I were doing the apps myself, w/out a lic, then I would be a scrub. I want all of my customers to be satisfied. If that means that they need a service that I don't offer, I need to find a legal way for them to get that service and still feel that I have satisfied their needs. That's the way I see it.

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey Bobby, glad to see your back. Now to answer your question
Yes I think everyone on here is a scrub if they had to answer yes to ANY of them. You do what you can and sub out what you can't and make a profit on some else's work. Yes I have set a trash can by a garage before and did not charge extra. But ride the little bus? No just call the chauffeur and have the limo pick me up, I charge enough for what I do to not have to take the little bus. And work smarter not harder and when possable get someone else to work for you :D That keeps you off any bus

Mac

LMAO! So if someone forgets to call you because they are busy and you show up and they have 50 + people over for a party and they ask you to come back and you agree that makes you a scrub?

GIMMIE A BREAK

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Your absolutely correct. No one hammered on Fareway for his scrub quiz. It looks like alot of people were bored when BG wasn't around and were just waiting for him to show up so they could attack.

Not true at all, I hammered fareway for his racist comments he made the other day refering to caucasins as "whitey".

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:49 PM
LMAO! So if someone forgets to call you because they are busy and you show up and they have 50 + people over for a party and they ask you to come back and you agree that makes you a scrub?

GIMMIE A BREAK
ahh, the question is, do you charge for the dead trip, and again for the makeup service?

hulan2
02-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Stir the pot Bobby!! Welcome back.

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
ahh, the question is, do you charge for the dead trip, and again for the makeup service?

nope i dont, im not out to cheat people and i plan my route for that certain day so everything is within 4-5 mins of each other, i dont need to bend someone over to make a buck, i make my money honestly

jim dailey
02-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Booby; what's up for this coming year? What kind and type of problems should we expect to hear about? How many idiotic customers are you expecting to run into? And, I'm all ears for some new surcharges for the upcoming year. What I wouldn't give to make your acquantance, young man.

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 09:58 PM
nope i dont, im not out to cheat people and i plan my route for that certain day so everything is within 4-5 mins of each other, i dont need to bend someone over to make a buck, i make my money honestly
somebody call the management! I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PROFESSIONAL lawn forum. but i guess...when you have no permits, no employees, no licensing......you can waste your day driving around. son, you need to see the wizard.

locutus
02-15-2005, 10:03 PM
jodi wouldn't let me post. said i was "useless" to this forumThe more people that view this forum, for whatever reason, gives more exposure to the sponsors products. Advertising 101.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-15-2005, 10:04 PM
this is the real scrub test, it don't matter what kind of equipment you have, or wether you pull it with a brand new ford or a team of mules. answer these questions honestly: #1-do you ever allow haggling on prices? #2- do you do "favors" or little extras for free? #3- does your customer tell you not to come because it "does not need cutting"? #4- do you cut every other week? #5- if a client has a question about a lawn problem, do you ever say, "i'm not sure, i'll find out?" #6- a customer needs shrubbery, mulch, trimming, chemicals, etc...do you need to sub this out? #7- u arrive on your regular day, the client is having a party, asks you to come back tommorow, do you? #8-it is late october, the leaves are falling, the customer is unwilling to pay for leaf cleanup, but would still like the grasscut at the usual rate, do you continue to cut it? #9- do you clean leaves for grasscutting rates? #10- it rains for 5 days straight, you miss the regular service day, by the time you are able to get there, the grass is outrageously high and needs to be double , tripple, quadruple cut, do you do it for the regular price? #11- a client does not pay thier bill, you make every "orthadox" attempt to collect, still no luck, do you pursue your money like a starved mountain lion after a baby wild boar, or do you just "chalk it up to experience, and let it slide?" #12-IS THE CUSTOMER YOUR BOSS? if you answered YES to any of these questions, you must ride the little bus, i'm afraid there is no more room, on the back of the bus

1)no
2)yes
3)yes
4)yes,always
5)no
6)no
7)no
8)yes
9)yes
10)yes
11)I go after it with a vengence!
12)customer is always your boss, like it or not (to a point)

Six yes, I better get on the bus!

olderthandirt
02-15-2005, 10:07 PM

GIMMIE A BREAK

WTF are you talking about? you can read can't you? or you just on here spouting off at the mouth "son" NOW GIMMIE A BREAK!

all ferris
02-15-2005, 10:09 PM
I got to get in on this. Another great thread by the geddster. However, I have to disagree with you on this one bob. I don't feel that if I don't run my business exactly like you run yours then I'm a scrub. I actually do pretty good for myself and I answered yes to some of your test questions. So kiss my little bus ridding a$$ - pal.:D

1bsman
02-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Just curious? Question number 11 is a two parter and surely must have a yes AND no answer. Does going after money owed make a person a scrub? Or, does rationalizing it as a learning experience? Either way I would have to say yes at least once. Honestly, I don't believe spending a dime to make a nickel is worth the fight. Move on.

alpine692003
02-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh damn,

Bobby is getting paid to make a topic again! payup payup payup

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 10:25 PM
WTF are you talking about? you can read can't you? or you just on here spouting off at the mouth "son" NOW GIMMIE A BREAK!

read number 7 buddy from your friends list. you said you agree with everything on it. do i need to pull up your posts to remind you of it? if you have a problem with me take it to PMs

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Just curious? Question number 11 is a two parter and surely must have a yes AND no answer. Does going after money owed make a person a scrub? Or, does rationalizing it as a learning experience? Either way I would have to say yes at least once. Honestly, I don't believe spending a dime to make a nickel is worth the fight. Move on.
the wrong answer would be yes. the "climax" of the question, came at the end. if you let it slide, you are a scrub.

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Oh damn,

Bobby is getting paid to make a topic again! payup payup payup
and you are still chinese

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 10:28 PM
and you are still chinese

These boards were alot better when you arent around.

stumper1620
02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
what are you talking about? the attack was made in post #1.

GEO

only if you let it be, can it be an attack.
hell! I fail this test miserably. the difference is I don't care!!! :D

Duramax99
02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Good to see you back bobby, it wasnt the same around here without you. I think some business outside this industry do things on your list. Other contractors haggle with prices. Companies have Allowance for doubtful accounts to write off some of there uncollectable money. I dont think that all of those things apply to be a scub

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 10:33 PM
These boards were alot better when you arent around.
the management makes that decision. they must be doing a good job, they are at the top of the green industry forums list, growing EVERY DAY, and i got a raise. and another thing, i know for a fact you posted more today than you did in 2 weeks.

1bsman
02-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Bobby, let me ask you this. Do YOU pursue your money like a mountain lion after a baby wild boar?

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 10:35 PM
the management makes that decision. they must be doing a good job, they are at the top of the green industry forums list, growing EVERY DAY, and i got a raise. and another thing, i know for a fact you posted more today than you did in 2 weeks.

LOL more mindless drivel!

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Bobby, let me ask you this. Do YOU pursue your money like a mountain lion after a baby wild boar?
if you have any doubt, ask my customers who didn't pay...dig em up, they'll tell you

packerbacker
02-15-2005, 10:36 PM
if you have any doubt, ask my customers who didn't pay...dig em up, they'll tell you\

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

environment
02-15-2005, 10:44 PM
lets take a look

#1-do you ever allow haggling on prices? no

#2- do you do "favors" or little extras for free? depends on how little, chnage a light bulb, no, grab one last bag of groceries for an older customer, sure, it makes me feel better about my day to help someone out

#3- does your customer tell you not to come because it "does not need cutting"? so far that has happened twice, however i refused, and the question was never asked again

#4- do you cut every other week? never

#5- if a client has a question about a lawn problem, do you ever say, "i'm not sure, i'll find out?" absolutely, if you are going to tell me honestly that you know every single thing there is to know about landscaping, than i want to shake your hand, cause if you ask me your just coming off as an arrogant ass

#6- a customer needs shrubbery, mulch, trimming, chemicals, etc...do you need to sub this out? not those, but i have sub contracted out, once for leveling a yard, a buddy of mine has a very large machine and could get the job done much quicker than me, so I sub out to him for 500 bucks, and i made 2 grand, didnt even have to show my face, I think that was a smart business move

#7- u arrive on your regular day, the client is having a party, asks you to come back tommorow, do you? no, i come back the following week on there scheduled day, and i charge then for the week anyway

#8-it is late october, the leaves are falling, the customer is unwilling to pay for leaf cleanup, but would still like the grasscut at the usual rate, do you continue to cut it? yes, i run right over the leaves like there not even there

#9- do you clean leaves for grasscutting rates? hell no

#10- it rains for 5 days straight, you miss the regular service day, by the time you are able to get there, the grass is outrageously high and needs to be double , tripple, quadruple cut, do you do it for the regular price? yes, i also charge them for a week if i dont even come in august, its right in my contracts, they pay for 24 cuts, if we dont make it due to wheather, they still have to pay for it

#11- a client does not pay thier bill, you make every "orthadox" attempt to collect, still no luck, do you pursue your money like a starved mountain lion after a baby wild boar, or do you just "chalk it up to experience, and let it slide?" if you let it slide your a jackass, I worked for my money, i want it, its the priciple behind it, if you dont pay your electric bill, your shut off and they call collections, if you dont handle your company like a business, than how could you expect your clients to view it as one

#12-IS THE CUSTOMER YOUR BOSS? , absolutely not, they are my client, no more no less

if you answered YES to any of these questions, you must ride the little bus, i'm afraid there is no more room, on the back of the bus

this was pretty stupid, and was only put up to piss people off, but anyway, good to have you back, its nice to want to post back at someone again,

ps screw the buss, I dont do public transportation

jim dailey
02-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Everyone...there is NO real Bobby. Get over it. Everyone is either riled-up or cheering on someone who isn't. It's all promotional.

fga
02-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Booby; what's up for this coming year? What kind and type of problems should we expect to hear about? How many idiotic customers are you expecting to run into? And, I'm all ears for some new surcharges for the upcoming year. What I wouldn't give to make your acquantance, young man.
jim,
who are you calling young man? at your age, that's alot pf people. be more specific.

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 10:50 PM
jim you are a fool. there is no "real bobby"? ask a few who have met me. and you sir, i'll be glad to make your aquaintence, mass are you? take me cod fishing. oh, and bring me back. and environment, shake my hand

fga
02-15-2005, 10:52 PM
jim you are a fool. there is no "real bobby"? ask a few who have met me. and you sir, i'll be glad to make your aquaintence, mass are you? take me cod fishing. oh, and bring me back. and environment, shake my hand
he goes to florida i the winter... the cold temps. maybe he could swing up 95, i'd like to make HIS aquaintance.

alpine692003
02-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Everyone...there is NO real Bobby. Get over it. Everyone is either riled-up or cheering on someone who isn't. It's all promotional.

Jim - we all know this, only fools didnt know this. He gets paid to make posts and entice people to lawnsite.

bobbygedd
02-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Jim - we all know this, only fools didnt know this. He gets paid to make posts and entice people to lawnsite.
jerk. adam, tell them. did you meet me? am i a nice guy? am i as cool as the summer breeze? tell them adam, those of little faith

fga
02-15-2005, 11:07 PM
jerk. adam, tell them. did you meet me? am i a nice guy? am i as cool as the summer breeze? tell them adam, those of little faith
do i know you?

:D

fga
02-15-2005, 11:09 PM
you had me with you until the summer breeze thing. but yes, even my wife can vouge for him.. "seems like a nice guy. and funny."

Bob, i accept pay pal.

diamond
02-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Well I guess I am a scrub, but I am a scrub that brings in close to 200k per year so I am a happy scrub.

Jason Rose
02-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Humm, i answered yes to all of them except for #6, where i sometimes have no time for shrub trimming and mulching. I think every question pertained to being a nice guy or being a hard headded stubborn by the book cold hearted business person. sorry if i chose to actually keep my customers instead of charging double because mother nature decided to make it rain a few days or because it ws hot and dry and so n so's lawn dried up and dosn't need cut this week. I would honestly have no customers the first time I pulled any of that. If I answered no to all of those I'd be living in a box and looking for change. #11 is the one one that actually made sence that saying No would be correct, but sometimes u just have to let things slide. you can't sue people that haven't got the money to pay, so I chalk it up to lesson learned.

packerbacker
02-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Humm, i answered yes to all of them except for #6, where i sometimes have no time for shrub trimming and mulching. I think every question pertained to being a nice guy or being a hard headded stubborn by the book cold hearted business person. sorry if i chose to actually keep my customers instead of charging double because mother nature decided to make it rain a few days or because it ws hot and dry and so n so's lawn dried up and dosn't need cut this week. I would honestly have no customers the first time I pulled any of that. If I answered no to all of those I'd be living in a box and looking for change. #11 is the one one that actually made sence that saying No would be correct, but sometimes u just have to let things slide. you can't sue people that haven't got the money to pay, so I chalk it up to lesson learned.

Dont apologize for anything you do. Its your way of doing things and theres nothing wrong with it. Dont let other LCOs dictate how you run your business.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 12:54 AM
nooo, of course not, why on earth should we all unite, and think about others, and the future of our children......

packerbacker
02-16-2005, 01:01 AM
nooo, of course not, why on earth should we all unite, and think about others, and the future of our children......

Your so gallant arent you! Riding up on your big silver mower to save everyone from the so-called scrubs!

WHO CARES? Not me.

And why would anyone want to unite with you in the first place?

We are cutting grass not curing cancer. Maybe you should take some time off from your part time job and get your business going so your not posting here 10 hours a day.

And yes bobby...id like to supersize my order today.

Jason Rose
02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
don't worry, i wasn't apologizing. I just kinda think it's sad that some people think we are supposed to be cold heartless machines, just like our equipment. Hell, i dunno, i kinda wonder if my mower isn't a little more forgiving than Bobby. I AM doing what other LCO's do. Withe the exception of a few things on that list that I know I should have answered no to, most items come down to wether or not you are actually a human being or not. I am never going to charge extra because it rained and I got behind. If i wanted a job that was not effected by the weather I'd be in a building somewhere. I can't pennolize my customers because of something beyond their control. The party thing, well how many times do people have partys in the middle of the day or even before 5 or 6 actually. sounds like someone is working awfully late in the evenings, must be on the AM shift at mcdonalds huh? I come to mow on a schedule, if i show up and know it's been hot and dry and I see that a particular lawn dosn't really need cutting I will ask if they want it done or not. These are usually the older people that are home. sometimes they say no, sometimes they say go ahead and do it. never hurts to ask, people appreciate the fact that I am willing to save them a little money from time to time. I could be a jerk and show up and they come out and say could you pass this week, and say no and procede to mow over the stubble. Well I wonder about next week. well no need to worry, because there is someone else servicing their account now. Never know, they could be getting an irrigation system and a new lawn in the fall and I just lost out on a nice lawn because I was an ass.

I have worked with and have watched a local lawn care guy work here. he will pick up newspapers and mail and hand deliever them to the homeowner. he always does anything extra and always makes time to chat a little. he's just an employee for a local landscaping firm, he runs the lawn care side. it's usually just him and maybe a helper. I'd bet he has doudled their sales in the past couple of years. Customer relations means a lot here. This is Kansas Toto, not Jersey.

Todd's lawncare
02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
no wonder he's an @%^*^%#*@$%&@^$*&%*%^&$@%&^$%&%^&%#&@$&^$@&^%&^%^*&^*^*# he's from NJ

lpwhandyman
02-16-2005, 01:18 AM
I can't help it, but listening to the way Gedd talks and how I can't get over the similarities that come to mind other then this.
ovehttp://www.eanevans.com/skynyrd/images/ean_dog.JPr the similarities to "Dog" the bounty hunter.

Is it just me or does anybody else think this? :cool2:

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 01:19 AM
you are warming my heart and everything, but in the real business world, you'd all be devoured like a catipillar floating down a trout stream.

Todd's lawncare
02-16-2005, 01:46 AM
the dgos kool

lpwhandyman
02-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Rolling eyes ....from the back of the bus of course.

klink34
02-16-2005, 03:38 AM
If a customer asks you to do something don't you do it as long as your being payed for it? If your boss asks you to do something aren't you going to do it, because you are being paid for it? Can't a customer let you go, or fire you? Can't your BOSS fire you? Any similarities? Whether we like to say it or not our customers are like our boss's. And by the way if you don't hunt down your money, you can not only mow my grass, but come and work for me. And why can't you haggle? If I have someone sold at twenty-five for a thirty dollar yard, I'm sorry to say this, but I'm coming off my price to pick up this deal (as long as it is something reasonable), because that is one more yard I have to add to collection. The trick is to not mess with your price until the very end. Tell me this: You want to charge 30.00 for my yard I will give you 25.00. Mowing it 28 times. If I showed you 700 dollars cash and said take it or leave it, you are going to leave it?
Then I pity the fool.
Any who, this is ridiculous if there was a set way to run a successful business then everyone would be doing it. But I thought I would throw another log on the fire.

p.s. Mom told me I was special because I got to ride the short bus. so what's wrong with the short bus :dizzy:

fga
02-16-2005, 07:45 AM
If a customer asks you to do something don't you do it as long as your being payed for it? If your boss asks you to do something aren't you going to do it, because you are being paid for it? Can't a customer let you go, or fire you? Can't your BOSS fire you? Any similarities?
the problem with that point is, a boss is someone who pays you buy the hour to work for them. period.
your are charging for your services rendered.

GreenMonster
02-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Bobby, so nice to see you back! :waving:

So many of you guys are too damn sensitive. You get your panties all in a bunch because Bobby suggests you might be a scrub. If his original post really and truly bothers you that much, maybe you should look at the way you are doing business, because apparently he struck a nerve. Just take his posts at face value and get a little laugh out of them.

Don't you guys see that Bobby likes to fish, aka troll, in the winter too? :D

crawdad
02-16-2005, 08:53 AM
this is the real scrub test, it don't matter .......

Another scrub test!
Why would anyone give a sh!t if you, who have been doing this full-time for almost a year, thought they were a scrub?
Crawdad :laugh:

geogunn
02-16-2005, 09:00 AM
.....but in the real business world, you'd all be devoured like a catipillar floating down a trout stream.

ok folks--setting personal attacks aside to make a point, above is the quote from the WEASEL BOY that needs to be addressed.

here is a guy who has said he has no formal training in business, no high school degree, no GED, no college of business degree no nothing including no previous business experience as far as has been explained and he lectures EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD AS TO THEIR INADEQUACIES AND HOW THEY ARE UNSUCCESSFUL IN HOW THEY OPERATE THEIR BUSYNESS.

and all of this after reporting that he was looking for a full time job and was going to run his lawn and landscape company after hours and on the side.

this is simply ludicrous except for the entertainment value.

GEO :dizzy:

Family Man Lawn Care
02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Bobby, glad to see you back. I was getting bored reading real business dilemmas's day after day. I'm always on the look out for a Bobby post. I haven't been a member of the forum very long but it only took me a few of Bobby's posts to see the humor intended instead of the insults. I, for one, love and look forward to Bobby's posts to see what's he's getting himself into. But, then again, I've been told I have a warped sense of humor. Keep'um coming Bobby.

I think it's hilarious that some people take a forum like this to the point that they get so furious. PackerBacker would rather see Bobby face down in a ditch somewhere but he can't seem to bring himself to just NOT click, read, and reply to the post. Good stuff, good stuff :D

HOMER
02-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Yup,

I'm a scrub and durn proud of it. I'd like to think that making a dollar and increasing my chances of actually passing through the PEARLY GATES, not just looking at them and being asked to leave :angry: ...........are one in the same. Money is over rated.......relationships and how you treat your fellow scrub are more important.

Heck............even a scrub is doing more than sitting on the porch waiting for the mail man! :sleeping:

Laziness bugs me..........scrubs work too.

Have a heart............hug a scrub!

This is national scrub month.

Honk if your scrub is horney. Honk if your a horney scrub! :D

I'm adding nothing to this thread because it was really nothing to begin with. Mere entertainment.

Donate to the international scrub foundation.

Start with my address.

If I wash my car does that make me a scrubbing bubble?

I got to go.........but let me leave you with this.............................

:waving:

MMLawn
02-16-2005, 09:42 AM
WHO CARES? Not me.

YOU must because YOU clicked on a thread (as you always do) of a person that YOU say YOU can't stand and then YOU responded to it 11 (ELEVEN) times already. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Seems like YOU are either the one trolling or maybe the one getting paid here ;)

GreenMonster
02-16-2005, 09:53 AM
YOU must because YOU clicked on a thread (as you always do) of a person that YOU say YOU can't stand and then YOU responded to it 11 (ELEVEN) times already. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Seems like YOU are either the one trolling or maybe the one getting paid here ;)

My sentiments exactly MM. I almost quoted the exact same line. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Homer....... HONK! HONK! HONK! They don't make a hornier scrub than me! :waving:

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
homey, being a poor businessman will not get you through the pearly gates. all of the things on my list are legitimate business concerns. if you answered yes to any of them, you are not only a scrub, but a sucker too. it tells me that you have no by laws, no policies, and the customer is in control. running your business should have nothing to do with being a "swell" guy.

HOMER
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Am I a poor business man or a poor business man?

Probably a little of both.

I'm just floating through life like a ball being tossed around by the flippers on a pinball machine. I just absolutely don't give a sh!t what anybody thinks anymore.

Matter of fact, if I liked the taste of alchohol................I might like being a drunk..............but I don't.......so I'm not.

The main thing is Bobby.................I could care less about what you think I am or should be, whether I come back to cut MY customers lawn because they are having company or a party, or whether I choose to cut a lawn that has leaves in it. I still invoice around $3600.00 a month in the dead of the winter, and that's down a whole bunch because of other issues that were out of our control. I visit the properties once in Dec., Jan., and Feb. but collect the same amount. It's not where I was or where I want or need to be...........it is what it is and now I have to start rebuilding the mowing side of my business this spring.

And guess what I might offer as an alternative to new customers.................a JUST MOW plan...........$20-25.00.........mow only...........not trim a damn thing, not blow a damn thing. If that's what they want vs. paying the $35.00 to $40.00 normal charge then that's what they'll get.............how easy is that, unload...........cut.......reload.........leave.

This whole scrub concept is begining to appeal to me. payup

I mean hey................it would sure cut down on the energy it requires to do it the proper/Bobby way.

Thanks Bobby for encouraging me to become a better/bitter poor business man. Maybe I'll be one of them old men one day that walks around with so much cash in their pocket it could choke a mule :rolleyes:

Let me go, need to work on my bizzness plane.

Norm Al
02-16-2005, 11:03 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000252VB.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

packerbacker
02-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Your probably right MM.

Its not that he makes me mad, im more amazed at his stupidity and complete lack of common sense.

He preaches about bringing everyone together in our industry then 5 seconds later he turns around insults all of us.

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. These scrubs threads are moronic and I wont respond to them anymore.

Geogunn was completely right. Why should anyone be offended by some clown who couldnt even get past high-school and cant run a business full time. We like to call them Whiskey Tango around here. I think most of you know what i mean by that.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 12:18 PM
it is YOU guys who turn this thread into an attack. we could have adressed each issue, one by one, and had some great conversation while educating some people on the "what if's". i wish like hell people told me what to expect and how to address it before i got started

klink34
02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
well bobby you started the post, so start analyzing. why don't you start breaking it down for us all. Why do you think this things are a MUST? Lets hear it Trump.

Fareway Lawncare
02-16-2005, 03:43 PM
The Official "Scrub Test" or GI Ranking Test Follows. Many of Bobby's suggestions were considered and rejected by the panel after it was discovered he works part time stocking shelves.

Answering “Yes” to the following adds 1 point to your total.

Equipment: Section A:

I own or operate

1) Handheld Blower
2) Curved Shaft Trimmer
3) Any non-commercial handhelds
4) Any electric powered handhelds or mower
5) Walkbehind Vacs on turf (Billy Goat and their ilk)
6) Non commercial 21” (Toro Recycler, Honda Harmony, Lawnboy Gold and their ilk)
7) Troy-Bilt 33”
8) Homeowner rated Zero-Turn
9) Lawn Tractor
10) Handheld leaf vacs (Echo shred’n’Vac & its ilk)
11) Attachment series stick tools (Stihl Combi System and its ilk)
12) Power Edger’s (unless this is strict necessity in your market)

Equipment : Section B:

13) My Dealer is Home Depot/Lowes/Costco/Wal-Mart
14) I have made a significant equipment purchase at any of the above outlets.
15) I have no back-up units
16) I have rented a hedge trimmer or chain saw
17) I work out of a truck bed or the back of a mini-van
18) I haul a trailer with a mini-van or car
19) My trailer is made of wood
20) My trailer has no drop gate
21) The lighting system on my trailer does not function
22) My trailer is not plated

“Yes” adds a point to your total.

Total
5-9 Riff Raff
10-22 Scrub

If your Total remains less than 5 you may continue, otherwise your classification stands and you may not proceed.

Work Procedures Section:

1) I enjoy chatting with elderly customers and doing them small chores.
2) I will do almost anything a customer asks even if it's not green industry related.
3) My garage is my shop
4) I do not carry pre-wound bump heads
5) I do not carry extra gas or gas/mix
6) I or my employee (s) wear wife beaters and or cut-offs while working
7) I or my employee(s) smoke on the jobsite
8) I or my employee(s) relieve themselves on the jobsite
9) I or my employee(s) eat lunch sitting on a customer’s front lawn
10) My wife/girlfriend is my secretary or works with me in the field
11) My friends or relatives help out when things get busy
12) I am part time (Add 2 Points)
13) I sharpen blades a few times a season

“Yes” adds a point to your total.

Total
6-9 Riff Raff
10-15 Scrub

If your Total remains less than 6 you may continue, otherwise your classification stands and you may not proceed.

Business Procedures Section:

1) I wait to get paid after each service visit.
2) My business cards consist of my number hand written on a piece of scrap paper.
3) I have collected money from under a door mat
4) Billing is sent out in no specific time frame
5) Billing is hand written
6) I do not carry liability, equipment, and commercial vehicle insurance
7) I pay my employee(s) cash
8) My personal bank account and or phone # is same as business'
9) I declare less than 70% of earnings
10) My employee (s) are illegals
11) My employee (s) are not paid and covered as per my States laws
12) I call myself a landscaper when my primary focus is maintenance

“Yes” adds a point to your total

1-4 Member of Green Industry Elite
5-8 High Class Scrub
8-12 Riff Raff

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
well bobby you started the post, so start analyzing. why don't you start breaking it down for us all. Why do you think this things are a MUST? Lets hear it Trump.
pick and choose, and i will give a thorough analysis of the ones you choose. fareway, by the way sir, you are a scrub for sure. you are in violation of many of the "don't do's", and you openly admit cleaning leaves for free. :nono:

launboy
02-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Man this site is something else nothing but ego-driven fools who think just because they do things there own way makes them the law. Not everyone though, just a good handfull. The way some of you talk proves that most of you are unprofessional. Like calling eveyone on here scrubs WTF do you know. Im sure i will catch some flak but that proves the level of unprofessionalism. I have my buis. i can show profits at the end of the year that make me live comfortably, i pay taxes, i have insurance and all buis. licenses that i need, im respected in area so i don't give a rats a$$ what some punk(s) in jersey has to say about me and neither should any of you. Jeresy is garbage stinkin rats nest, ive been there i know. Everybody has down sides and most important everybody has up sides, this is a site created to help the educate lco's and nonlco's meet there goal.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
jersey is a nice place. i take it you answered yes to several of the questions. because YOU ARE MAKING MONEY, does not mean you are running your business as you should, there is much, much more involved. you are probably, like most, not making money, but because you have some cash flow, you think you are. which questions did you answer yes to, i'll be glad to help you out

rodfather
02-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Jeresy is garbage stinkin rats nest, ive been there i know.

And where the hell do you live btw?

Love2Mow
02-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Its the Garden State :rolleyes:

nitrotim
02-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Man this site is something else nothing but ego-driven fools who think just because they do things there own way makes them the law. Not everyone though, just a good handfull. The way some of you talk proves that most of you are unprofessional. Like calling eveyone on here scrubs WTF do you know. Im sure i will catch some flak but that proves the level of unprofessionalism. I have my buis. i can show profits at the end of the year that make me live comfortably, i pay taxes, i have insurance and all buis. licenses that i need, im respected in area so i don't give a rats a$$ what some punk(s) in jersey has to say about me and neither should any of you. Jeresy is garbage stinkin rats nest, ive been there i know. Everybody has down sides and most important everybody has up sides, this is a site created to help the educate lco's and nonlco's meet there goal.

Your name says it all "laun BOY"

rodfather
02-16-2005, 05:05 PM
You guys can say whatever you want about NJ...

But I can drive an hour or less from my house, and ski in the Poconos, be at the Jersey Shore and fish, swim, surf, or be on one the many boardwalks. In an hour or less, I can be in NYC on Broadway seeing a play or going to the opera. In an hour or less depending on the time of the year, we can go and see a ton of professional sports teams in NYC or Philadelphia or see a number of shows in Atlantic City.

Kansas City is nice...to visit that is.

Launboy's location...is where I am. WTF does that mean? You too embarassed to tell us where you live?

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 05:10 PM
yea, u believe this guy, makin fun of this great state. i love it here, i have the best of everything here, 4 different seasons every year, the ocean 20 minutes away with a big variety of migratory fish 12 months a year. mountains 40 minutes away, nyc 35 min away, lakes to fish in ..up by rods house is some of the most outrageous trout and bass fishin you'll find anywhere. and money to be made.....the streets are paved with gold.

GreenMonster
02-16-2005, 05:14 PM
In an hour or less depending on the time of the year, we can go and see a ton of professional sports teams in NYC or Philadelphia.

Hey Rod, I fail to understand how that is a good thing.... unless a Boston team is in town. :cool2:

I'm no fan of NJ, but if I had to live there, I would want it to be in Rod's area. It really is pretty nice over there.

Sorry Bobby. I couldn't live around you. Too many freakin' people for my taste.

Love2Mow
02-16-2005, 05:18 PM

But I can drive an hour or less from my house, and ski in the Poconos, be at the Jersey Shore and fish, swim, surf, or be on one the many boardwalks. In an hour or less, I can be in NYC on Broadway seeing a play or going to the opera. In an hour or less depending on the time of the year, we can go and see a ton of professional sports teams in NYC or Philadelphia or see a number of shows in Atlantic City.

Launboy's location...is where I am. WTF does that mean? You too embarassed to tell us where you live?

I dont know what part you've been to but this town is booooorrrrrring

rodfather
02-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I dont know what part you've been to but this town is booooorrrrrring

I was trying to be a gentleman...

Love2Mow
02-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I was trying to be a gentleman...

You dont have to impress us! :)

The Dude
02-16-2005, 05:39 PM
I have been in Jersey for a few months now and I am finding it interesting. It isnt as bad as it seems to be on the surface. Too many people in such a small area for my tastes, but Rod made alot of good points.

fga
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM

the problem with Jersey..... is its getting filled with New Yorkers. i would love to be in Old Bridge.

thing is, my trucks would never pass a NJ inspection. i like NY, they look at it, say, ok, it looks safe. now give me $37 :)

The Dude
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
thing is, my trucks would never pass a NJ inspection. i like NY, they look at it, say, ok, it looks safe. now give me $37 :)

I am feeling that right now. In Virginia I could just go to a friend and buy a sticker and not even have to worry about it. Up here, I have to deal with emmisions (yuck) and a full inspection. I am holding on to my Virginia tags as long as I can .lol

launboy
02-16-2005, 07:32 PM
ok gedd what does it mean to make a profit.
yes i Run the my buisness no one runs me.
i take time off when i went i make my own hours just like you claim to do..
i make the rules and policies and thats all.

oh what gedd, are you crying because i insulted you just like you do to everybody on this site. the only difference is that i am not going to run to a moderator and complain.
i do favors for people, my good people, i give back to people who give to me. i don't give away the buis. by no means.
ya im not hiding im indiana its not the best but it doesn't smell like jersey

fga
02-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I am feeling that right now. In Virginia I could just go to a friend and buy a sticker and not even have to worry about it. Up here, I have to deal with emmisions (yuck) and a full inspection. I am holding on to my Virginia tags as long as I can .lol
i sold my dump truck this year to a guy in NJ.. he started complaining about things that i was scratching my head. NJ inspection this... that. real minor things. like plate mounting... he said it can't be mouted to the mudflapps, that "now he has to drill into bed.." :cry:
nice guy i guess, i'm just use to slipping George "the greek guy" a $50 spot and his BMW goes on the machine instead of my old ford! :D

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 07:35 PM
it doesn't smell like jersey, and you all have the same dna.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 07:37 PM
i sold my dump truck this year to a guy in NJ.. he started complaining about things that i was scratching my head. NJ inspection this... that. real minor things. like plate mounting... he said it can't be mouted to the mudflapps, that "now he has to drill into bed.." :cry:
nice guy i guess, i'm just use to slipping George "the greek guy" a $50 spot and his BMW goes on the machine instead of my old ford! :D
adam, both my trucks failed last time for....get this, THE REAR VIEW MIRROR WAS DIRTY!

launboy
02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
nice intelligent answer, have you been to indiana the dna jokes are for a few states more south. but nice try
its all city here

Love2Mow
02-16-2005, 07:40 PM
nice intelligent answer, have you been to indiana the dna jokes are for a few states more south. but nice try

SOUTH BEND! Indy needs a new football stadium but the state is filled with homegrown, good, people.

The Dude
02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Some localities in Northern Va have emmisions testing, but the general inspection process is so lax, that I would get my brother in law to get me 5 or ten stickers to sell to people I knew. There were big fines and such for getting caught doing it, but I have never heard of anyone getting caught.

And BTW if anyone in Jersey knows of a mechanic who would let things slide, let me know.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 07:43 PM
i have not been to indiana, i have however seen people that are from indiana. they all look exactly like forest gump. u put 100 people in a room, 20 from jersey, 20 from penn, 20 from new york, 20 from new hampshire, 17 from boston, AND 3 FROM INDIANA, i can pick out the 3 from indiana first shot. and the girls from there look exactly like the men, but with wigs.

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Some localities in Northern Va have emmisions testing, but the general inspection process is so lax, that I would get my brother in law to get me 5 or ten stickers to sell to people I knew. There were big fines and such for getting caught doing it, but I have never heard of anyone getting caught.

And BTW if anyone in Jersey knows of a mechanic who would let things slide, let me know.
give me a buzz, i'm sure we can work something out

fga
02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
adam, both my trucks failed last time for....get this, THE REAR VIEW MIRROR WAS DIRTY!
that's rediculous. i can see it being harder to run an effecient business in a state as strict as that. to have to really keep up with things, whether they're vital or not. that must eat into your vehicle overhead. do they pull you over for stupid things, or gennerally just at inspection time to make more money off ya?
here, i can generally fly by the seat of my pants... truck gets repaired when i can't use it.

fga
02-16-2005, 07:47 PM

ever get the "camera is watching you" threat? :D that scare lasted a month.

The Dude
02-16-2005, 07:49 PM
No, I havent heard that one. But My brother in law works at an Acura dealer and everyone in there sells them, no sweat. Just got to be descreet about it. Kinda like dealing drugs, know your customers. lol

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 07:50 PM
you need to be inspected every 2 yrs, they comb the truck for everything. even after you pass inspection, in the summer they have spot checks, this is where they have a parking lot setup with cops pulling people over. say u cracked a tailight or something since your last inspection, they will inspect the entire vehicle, remove your sticker, and slap a failed one on. you then have to make repairs, and go back to a state inspection station for reinspection.

The Dude
02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
you need to be inspected every 2 yrs, they comb the truck for everything. even after you pass inspection, in the summer they have spot checks, this is where they have a parking lot setup with cops pulling people over. say u cracked a tailight or something since your last inspection, they will inspect the entire vehicle, remove your sticker, and slap a failed one on. you then have to make repairs, and go back to a state inspection station for reinspection.

What?!?!?! This is insane. Like the gestapo or something. What a violation of civil liberties, where is Al Sharpton when I need him. :P

Are some vehicles exempt from emmisions though? I know in the few places in VA that test, if the vehicle is 20 years old, they dont test it at all.

fga
02-16-2005, 07:57 PM
we have check points here, but they would never rip a sticker off. just give you a fine for something. i've learned to remove my ball cap, seat belt on, and appear as if you are willing to stop no matter what.... "keep going sir." :cool:

launboy
02-16-2005, 07:58 PM
so big shot(gedd) what does it mean to turn a profit?

bobbygedd
02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
don't even think about asking me stupid questions. do you know who i am? if running a lawn business was a sport, they would put my picture on a wheaties box

Grass Cake
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
this is the real scrub test, it don't matter what kind of equipment you have, or wether you pull it with a brand new ford or a team of mules. s

:dizzy: ...my first day posting here and i've already got a complex.

btw....i'm so paranoid i can't watch football games.

every time they huddle i think they're talking about me.

fga
02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
:dizzy: ...my first day posting here and i've already got a complex.

btw....i'm so paranoid i can't watch football games.

every time they huddle i think they're talking about me.
:D :D :D welcome. funny guy! did you get that PM i sent you?............. oh it didn't get there. forget it, don't worry, never mind.

launboy
02-16-2005, 08:12 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
ya i know who exactly who you are a JOKE
stupid question, you can't even answer it.

KUTTINIT
02-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey BobbyGedd,
My first post,but a long long time reading. You never cease to amaze me with your charm. :cool2: :gunsfirin

nitrotim
02-16-2005, 09:22 PM
i have not been to indiana, i have however seen people that are from indiana. they all look exactly like forest gump. u put 100 people in a room, 20 from jersey, 20 from penn, 20 from new york, 20 from new hampshire, 17 from boston, AND 3 FROM INDIANA, i can pick out the 3 from indiana first shot. and the girls from there look exactly like the men, but with wigs.

Isn't Michael Jackson from Gary Indiana? Nice by product of that state.

lawnman_scott
02-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Sorry but anyone has to admit that is backwards. Even our state got rid of emmisions, and has no other type of government hi-jacking (safety test) for vehichles.

geogunn
02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
i've learned to remove my ball cap......

ADAM--you don't have to remove the ball cap......just turn it around so the bill is in front and you will pass........! LOL!

GEO :)

gqnine44
02-16-2005, 10:29 PM
I wonder if someone is considered a "scrub" if he posts over 7,000 times on Lawnsite with worthless, idiotic, drivel? I suggest that is the very definition of "scrub".

Indiana is a good state...God bless the heartland.

lawnman_scott
02-16-2005, 10:34 PM
I wonder if someone is considered a "scrub" if he posts over 7,000 times on Lawnsite with worthless, idiotic, drivel? I suggest that is the very definition of "scrub".

Indiana is a good state...God bless the heartland.
Its a 100 mile long cornfield with a highway going through it.