PDA

View Full Version : 1500+ bales of pinestraw price?

MudslinginFX4
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Just had a lady call me, she needs approx. 1500 bales of pinestraw and she wants a price for installation and a seperate price for just delivery. She is in charge of a apartment complex where this straw will be going. Generally, I charge $7.10 a bale installed for Florida Slash straw and $7.60 per bale for NC Longneedle installed. I am currently buying the straw at $3.10/bale for the florida and $3.60 per bale for the NC. What kind of discount would you give on the bid for this large of quanity? With my current prices I am talking about making $4 per bale, but I am leaning towards knocking a $1 off per bale. Is that too large of a discount or not enough?

MMLawn
02-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Normally I probably wouldn't discount it a full $1 but this time of year yeah I would as that's still $4500 profit.....but don't forget to quote her the Sales tax too though or you'll lose another $105 on top of the discount.

MudslinginFX4
02-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Mike for the quick reply. I'm gonna throw some things on paper and see what I can come up with. I'll let you know what happens.

Eric 1
02-15-2005, 09:35 PM
1500!!!!!! did i see that right? jeez (mouth on floor), i would have no idea how to quote that, I guess the normal rate per foot, then maybe discount it 5-8% due to volume.

Good lord 1500 bales of pine straw.......itch...itch, i can feel it already. :eek: :eek: ;) :help:

Good luck

MudslinginFX4
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Eric... yeah 1500 bales, lol. This is a townhouse complex with 42 units and tons of common areas. The lady said last year they used around 1500 bales but I am going to go out there again tomorrow and calculate up how many I think it will take. This will be a good way for me to start out the season just hiring another full time guy starting next monday!

Mike, I ended up quoting the lady $5.99 for the Florida and $6.59 for the NC. I am going to go talk with the nursery tomorrow and see what kind of deal they can cut me ordering 1500 at a time for this job, not to mention the other 2000? or so bales I will need in the next month or two for my other customers. This price will still let me make about $4500(give or take a few) in about 1.5 days of work.

Rhett
02-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Man I am drooling. No way I could lay that much. Would have it delivered at that bulk for 3.00. Would have it layed for another 1.00 per bale. Would add another 1.00 on the total price and would never touch any of it.

Westbrooklawn
02-16-2005, 10:16 AM
ECM -

We are charging $8.50/bale this year for long leaf. Our largest installation is around 100 bales on residential, with the average residential being around 40 bales. I realize that for the type job you are looking at there would have to be some discount, so it seems the $6.59 price would be about right.

Where are you getting quality longleaf, and what are you paying? I am always shopping for best price/quality and would be interested if you would care to share. You can reply here or e-mail me at rwestbrook@nc.rr.com. Thanks.

Dick

TScapes
02-16-2005, 11:13 AM
ECM,
Our prices range from $6-$7.50 per bale installed. Believe it or not, the cheapest I can buy bales here in east TN is $3.95 at Home Depot. All the other vendors sell it wholesale at @$4 per bale. I usually have a sub contractor come up from ATL and do my installs that are over 1000 bales. I pay him $4.50 per bale, which includes labor, transportation and they clean up really well. However, if I want the beds trenched, it costs me $0.25 more per bale. Thus, I still am making anywhere from $1.50 - $3 per bale. My guys just aren't as fast as my subs, who do this day in and day out!

YardPro
02-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Just had a lady call me, she needs approx. 1500 bales of pinestraw and she wants a price for installation and a seperate price for just delivery. She is in charge of a apartment complex where this straw will be going. Generally, I charge $7.10 a bale installed for Florida Slash straw and $7.60 per bale for NC Longneedle installed. I am currently buying the straw at $3.10/bale for the florida and $3.60 per bale for the NC. What kind of discount would you give on the bid for this large of quanity? With my current prices I am talking about making $4 per bale, but I am leaning towards knocking a $1 off per bale. Is that too large of a discount or not enough?

that's too cheap.

for a large scale job like that it's fine, but for smaller jobs, you should be getting $8.00-$9.00/bale

on out large complexes (1000 bales plus) they buy the straw, we lay it for $3.00/bale.

that's really too cheap, but we make up for it with all the add on's ( projected $75 K this year ).

we only can get about an 9 bale per hour average with straw. this includes all loading, distributing, laying, rolling and tucking, and all cleanup..

we have a lot of prople come to work that have worked for other companies, and luagh and tell me they can lay 20 bales per hour. we have yet to see it.
they may lay 20 bales per hour, BUT when you figure in ride time to the job, unloading the semi, carrying the bales to the location, laying, rolling and tucking, then cleanup, and loading the truck and returning to the shop, the average drops significantly.

We can only get 80 or so bales per day ( max) out of people.
in wide open areas, they can do more, but our properties have lots of plant material ( especially juniper) that the pine straw must be tucked under.

Lawnworks
02-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Down here the market will not take over $6 per bale. The straw is a little cheaper $2.65 for slash delivered and $3.50 for long delivered. I guess it is all related to cost of living.

HOMER
03-06-2005, 08:03 AM
What's the "proper" way to get a nice tucked look when laying straw. I've heard everything from wetting it so it bends easier to just doing it by hand. Saw one guy using a big push broom to tidy up the edges. I've seen some straw laid that looked like it was one long roll.........very nicely done. I can't seem to get that look.

YardPro
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
we roll and tuck ALL edges.

we do the rolling one of two ways.

for new guys i have them rolling the new straw under the old straw by hand.

my experienced guys can " air roll" the straw.

we use a blower just above idling and walk along the edge the air gets under the straw and lifts it up a bit. then you raise the blower a little so it is pointing more downward. this pushes the outer egde of the straw under the old straw. sort of like a burrito.

this is much faster, but takes a little practice to get the hang of.

nmurph
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
have you ever used a pitchfork with some of the tines removed. when i was starting in the pinestraw supply business i did lots of installations myself. 110 bales/day was a very, very good day, but that was a 10-12 hr day. the straw you saw that looked like it had been rolled was likely from rolled bales, which generally suffer in the quality department.