PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld on aluminum...?

Roger
02-15-2005, 08:25 PM
I have done a search for "JB Weld" and found it referenced through many threads. Most uses were to fix plastic parts, e.g. fuel tanks. A couple references were made to use on iron. But, what about aluminum? I have no experience with JB Weld.

My old LawnBoy (21" commercial handover, pre-Duraforce engine) with cast aluminum deck has the blind holes for the height adjusters badly worn. The rib between the 3.5 and 3.0 inch, and rib between 3.0 and 2.5 inch settings is practically gone. This mower is seven years old, mowed over 3.500 lawns - but the engine still runs great. We use it as a second mower, a backup.

My neighbor suggested putting dowels in the holes (covered with petroleum jelly), flush with the outside surface. Then he suggested using JB Weld to layer up the ribs so that the shape is restored to the original. After setup, the dowels can be pulled out (or drilled out), and the pin on the adjuster lever would have new holes to engage.

He as "sure" it would work for aluminum, even though he has never used it on aluminum. He just suggested to be certain the surfaces were very clean.

Anybody with any experience in using JB Weld like this?

locutus
02-15-2005, 08:35 PM
If you never change mowing height, have someone tack weld the wheels in place and call it good. Sounds like the mower has seen it's better day anyway.

1MajorTom
02-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Matt has used jb weld on aluminum, and it has worked, but he is not sure how it will hold up for this application.

jim dailey
02-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Go and see a welder or a fabricator. They may be able to weld the holes back to shape. Not certain...but I think it is TIG welding. Anyone who can weld aluminum should be able to help you. Sign companies, also.

locutus
02-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Go and see a welder or a fabricator. They may be able to weld the holes back to shape. Not certain...but I think it is TIG welding. Anyone who can weld aluminum should be able to help you. Sign companies, also.Jim, I thought about this option also, but from the post, it seems that may cost more than the mower is worth. I think he is looking for a cheap quick fix. To tack them in place seems to be the most permanent/cheapest solution.

Roger
02-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks the replies. Obviously, there are more entertaining threads here ...

You are right -- I don't want to invest much money into an old machine. I only use it for about 200 cuts per season, but the mower helps where we run two handmowers at the same time.

However, having said that, the engine still perks along like new. I had it out yesterday for PM (... why the topic of the hole repair was fresh on mind), and after sitting idle since December 1, or thereabouts ... fired up perfectly on first pull! It always has run so well -- much better than my LB DuraForce of more recent purchase. Some of these "design features" should not be found on commercial machines (e.g. Toro ProLine, with replaceable plate instead of cast holes).

I may try the JB Weld on another aluminum part first. I doubt that I can find a welder.

Smalltimer1
02-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I've used JB Weld on a 5hp Briggs aluminum block before to repair a crack. It held fine and I ran the engine for a couple years before I sold the equipment it was in.

Eddie B
02-16-2005, 01:59 PM
I used JB Weld on a toro aluminum deck a couple years back, I ran over a steel bolt and it shot right through the deck. Held up fine, but it seems like getting a welder would be a better option for what you need. Do you have any local muffler shops? I needed a steering bracket fixed that had split in two, stopped at mineke and they fixed me up for $10.

vipermanz
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
scruff up the surface with rough sandpaper for best adhesion, there's a product right next to the jbweld that might work better in this application, Epoxy putty