PDA

View Full Version : Buying 2 new W\B want opinions

Adironscapes
02-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I am buying 2 new Ferris or Hustler 48" w\b With 17 hp. The price for the Ferris is $4,500 and the Hustler is $5,800. My question is, can they both handle a sulky on hills, and will they have enough over all power. At this point in time I really cant afford much more. Not much snow not much $$$$$$.
Thanks for any input

locutus
02-15-2005, 08:52 PM
The Hustlers have a thicker gauge deck and a superior H-bar steering system.

I do not have anything in particular against Ferris, but from what I've read and seen over the years, your best bet is the Hustler. My 02.

Forgot to mention, if you indeed will be using a Velky, you will not have to move your hips out of the way of the handles when turning with a Hustler.

locutus
02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Also, Hustlers have a wider stance, which is indespensible on hills.

JB1
02-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Is a Hustler walk behind really $5800.00 ?

Duramax99
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Buy a Exmark walk-behind you wont regret it

lawncare4u
02-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Buy a Exmark walk-behind you wont regret it

I can't throw stones at Ex-mark,cause I got one...great machine,however if I were looking to buy a new one I would certainly look at the Hustler,like their steering :waving:

Adironscapes
02-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes a 48 w\b from Warner Sale out of Rome NY is $5,800

J.Gordon
02-15-2005, 10:01 PM
I am buying 2 new Ferris or Hustler 48" w\b With 17 hp. The price for the Ferris is $4,500 and the Hustler is $5,800. My question is, can they both handle a sulky on hills, and will they have enough over all power. At this point in time I really cant afford much more. Not much snow not much $$$$$$.
Thanks for any input

The Hustler is great on hills; the price looks a little high for it though.
For the same price you have listed for the Hustler 17/48, I got a 25/54 Super walk-behind with a BullRider and a set of Gator magnums.
In the heavy spring growth, I can work my 25 hp Kawasaki pretty hard. I would get the 23/48 Super walk-behind, it's well worth the money for thick grass and mulching the leaves.
Nothing compares to Hustlers H-bar for comfort and ease, once you try one you wont want any other walk-behind.

Adironscapes
02-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I have a couple 36 Ex mark W\B and I can not complain. However the dealer has sub standard service people working for him and it is not worth ever dealing with him again. I know the other dealers and they have exceptional service departments.

treemeat
02-21-2005, 07:44 PM
today I priced the Hustler 23/48 at $5240. Much better than the exmark 19/48 at $5600. There are advantages to each machine;

Exmark: faster tip-speed(18,500 compared to 16,250), larger spindles(1.2" c/to 1"), shorter overall length(70" c/to 78"), higher cut(4.5" c/to 4"

Hustler: better controls(h-bar), faster ground-speed(8mph to 6 ), more brute power(23 to 19), larger tires(20" c/t 16)

I also like that the hustler comes with an hour-meter, though I worry about the smaller spindles. As far as the slower tip-speed, if a guy were to run meg-mos on it the cut would maybe be superior to the X with singles?

One thing I haven't compared is the deck design and scalp rollers . . . .

I'm starting to like the color yellow . . .

specialtylc
02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
We have a 37 inch Hustler with over 2000 hours on it. Its been a very reliable machine. I dont think there is a mower out there that is more rugged. And the control system is much easy to use and no operator fatigue like most of the other designs. They are a little harder to man handle on very steep side hilling.

J.Gordon
02-21-2005, 11:26 PM
today I priced the Hustler 23/48 at $5240. Much better than the exmark 19/48 at $5600. There are advantages to each machine;

Exmark: faster tip-speed(18,500 compared to 16,250), larger spindles(1.2" c/to 1"), shorter overall length(70" c/to 78"), higher cut(4.5" c/to 4"

Hustler: better controls(h-bar), faster ground-speed(8mph to 6 ), more brute power(23 to 19), larger tires(20" c/t 16)

I also like that the hustler comes with an hour-meter, though I worry about the smaller spindles. As far as the slower tip-speed, if a guy were to run meg-mos on it the cut would maybe be superior to the X with singles?

One thing I haven't compared is the deck design and scalp rollers . . . .

I'm starting to like the color yellow . . .

My Super walk-behind has one-inch spindle, where you bolt your blade and pulley to the shaft and approximately 1.5íí in the center of the shaft. (Give or take) It uses Fafnir RA100RR bearings that you can get just about anywhere for about 12 bucks if you needed to, see how much Exmark wants for one of their bearings. And Hustlers spindles are cast iron not aluminum like the Exmarks. I would put Hustlers spindles against Exmarks any day. Changing the blade tip speed is very easy and with the 23 you will have the power to turn them at 20,000 fpm. I know that for a fact. If you get it set up right it will cut with the best of them, without changing the B.T.S. The hydraulics on Hustler holds one gallon of oil instead of the one quart in the Exmark. And it is better to have more oil for cooling. Iím not dogging Exmarks at all, I just donít think they compare to Hustlers build Quality. That of course is my opinion.
The most important thing!
To get the full potential out of a Super walk-behind you need a BullRider or equivalent.

Fareway Lawncare
02-21-2005, 11:38 PM
TracerHp's are Lighter and More Compact...Personally I can't use a Big, Heavy Long Machine w/a heavy 2wheel sulky on any of my Props...& if I could I might Prefer a Rider...Hustler Finally Realizes that the SWB's ar Not Great Small Res Walks and are Bringing out a new Line called TrimStar which is Lighter and Very Comapct to Compete directly w/the TracerHP's...

TracerHP's are Designed for Great Maneuverability on Small Props...Just Like the Lazerhp's...
Full Size Tracers & Lazers are For The Larger Open Areas.

JKOOPERS
02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
all of us with exmarks dont have to worry about spindles for 3 years :) warranty :)

jsr2741
02-22-2005, 01:12 AM
all of us with exmarks dont have to worry about spindles for 3 years :) warranty :)

I second that.

MTR
02-22-2005, 01:50 AM
The cut quality is #1 priority for all of my accounts, every time when I am done the property has to look smooth and beautiful like million dollar estate houses. I only use eXmark 52" TTHP and 36" Metro. The second machine brand that comes very close, neck to neck is 52" Stander. All of these are single blades no doubles, stock factory machine without any modifications. It is strange to barely see any of Hustler famous SWB on properties around my area, except their Z. The cut is important that 's why I still stick with eXmark.
my 2 cents.

LawnMowerBoy48
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a Ferris 48" DD, I got it used around six years ago now. It's been a great machine, really solid. It has a 14 Kawasaki on it which has enough power but I am looking into getting a bigger engine for it.