PDA

View Full Version : Correct steps to remove moss!

alpine692003
02-15-2005, 11:46 PM
What's the correct procedure to remove moss from lawns? I thought it was always put down ferrous sulphate, wait til the lawn turns black .. power rake it and remove the dead moss, then put down grass seed?

green with envy
02-15-2005, 11:52 PM
You need to find out what conditions caused the moss in the first place.

Too much shade, too moist, no air movement or bad Ph level. If that is not corrected the moss will probably come back.

Mike

alpine692003
02-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Yah, I thought so..

Get a soil test but, this area that I am in has a lot of tree's.. It's very shady the area..

I guess I have to tell them to hire an arborist to remove some tree limbs to allow sunlight in and if they dont, moss will continue to exist?

Shadetree Ltd
02-16-2005, 03:41 AM
Alpine,

You cut the lawn first or make sure it is at a respectable height, power rake in two different directions raking in between. Recut the lawn to tidy up its appearence and remove any leftover moss/thatch and then apply a moss control/fertilizer combo. Usually you will want to have limed at least two weeks prior. There is no point killing moss and then removing it, it is a waste of product and time waiting for results.

Scott

Coffeecraver
02-16-2005, 04:57 AM
follow the link

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=95202

:)

alpine692003
02-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Shadetree,

Is there a particular moss control/fertilizer I will use? I thought I would use ferrous sulphate, but what would you recommend me using?

Alpine,

You cut the lawn first or make sure it is at a respectable height, power rake in two different directions raking in between. Recut the lawn to tidy up its appearence and remove any leftover moss/thatch and then apply a moss control/fertilizer combo. Usually you will want to have limed at least two weeks prior. There is no point killing moss and then removing it, it is a waste of product and time waiting for results.

Scott

green with envy
02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Soil test before putting down any lime !!!

Moss could be a result of low or high soil Ph. If you put down lime and the soil is already alkaline you are adding to the trouble.

Mike